This Team | Syracusefan.com

This Team

Stevenson

2023 Cali Award Winner Pts Against & Passing Yards
This team was never a top ten 10. I've been saying it since the fall to my kids. I've seen three games in person, and can say this is my least favorite Syracuse team in years, and the most overrated. Can't be mad at anyone.

This is a legit 6 seed and will not make it to the second weekend. Just bad chemistry, no frontcourt presence, no scorer, and low bball IQ.

You can't coach stupid.

This team from a mentality standpoint reminds me so much of the Donte Green team. It's a real tough bunch to root for. Incredibly selfish in comparison to recent ones.

This team was never a top ten 10. I've been saying it since the fall to my kids. I've seen three games in person, and can say this is my least favorite Syracuse team in years, and the most overrated. Can't be mad at anyone.

This is a legit 6 seed and will not make it to the second weekend. Just bad chemistry, no frontcourt presence, no scorer, and low bball IQ.

You can't coach stupid.

Tough to argue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This team from a mentality standpoint reminds me so much of the Donte Green team. It's a real tough bunch to root for. Incredibly selfish in comparison to recent ones.

I guess I just don't really get the selfish perspective. Outside of Southerland, it doesn't really seem to me that anyone on the team is selfish. They just flat out aren't that good, largely due to the lack of creators and shooters on the team.

This is the first full game I have seen all year. Others have been bits and pieces of tv and some ESPN app play by play. To me, the team plays like a young team, which they aren't. However they are young at center, and at the backup forward spots. Because of the youth, and because they are not as strong as they will end up being, they get pushed around a lot. There has been some progress through out the year, with Grant and Christmas both showing signs of improvement. They are both keys going into next year. If they were at this stage at the beginning of the season, we may have stood a better chance in these later games. But the team has compensated for the weaker spots by shooting the three ball, of which they do not hit a high enough percentage to win easily any game.

MCW-shows great potential, but also youth. Tries to many times to be "the man" and forgets he is the lead guard. But has a huge upside.

BT-a senior who should be playing at a higher level than he is. He has the potential to dominate opponents. If he would learn to start inside and work out to get his shots off, I think he would be pretty darn good.

CJ-love him as a player, but he has become way to predictable. When they pass him the ball, you know he is going to shoot the ball. He draws the defense in, he needs to learn to look for an open teammate, and relearn his passing skills.

JS-Streaky 3 pt shooter capable of hitting from anywhere. To good to just settle for the 3 though, which has been his primary game. Open it up a bit!

Rest of team I consider young, and learning. Hopefully putting on muscle in the off season will help the interior positions dominate next year. The potential is there. Trever needs to learn to relax in the game, maybe it is just his mindset? I think the coaching staff (GMac) will work with him, and we will see a greatly improved Cooney next year.

Potential is still there for a deep run this year. The team is not optimized by any stretch of the imagination, but neither are about any other team in the nation. I think a 5-6 seed for the guys is decent this year, and will actually work in their favor. The pressure of trying to maintain a high seeding doesn't help the team mentality. Playing from a lower role I think will help.

You can't coach stupid.

For th most part, I agree. This team is not fun to watch. It is amazing that we just cant score 60 points. However, this was a top 10 team. College basketball is way down this year. As bad as we are, if we have a shootong day we could beat Indiana by 15. Unfortunately, we will not have six straight games where we shoot well. I doubt we even have two. This team has six seed and 2nd round exit written all over it.

You can't coach stupid.

Great post.

No body should be mad at anyone. There were pieces that just weren't there to allow the machine to operate properly.

I'm not sure I see a low basketball IQ. What I see are players --- especially the guards --- that just don't know what to do when options A and B are not available. I'm not sure there is an answer.

It's not that they are throwing the ball the wrong place. That's a symptom of a low basketball IQ. Its that they don't throw the ball at all anyplace good.

This is the first full game I have seen all year. Others have been bits and pieces of tv and some ESPN app play by play.

First all year? C'mon man! We need your support.

(If you're a soldier deployed overseas, ignore my comment, and thank you for your service)

If you cant shoot long term you will not win. This team does not have scorers let alone shooters. We do well in transition but we are a horrible half court O team. BT is going through a horrible stretch and we need to him to play well in order to win. MCW is young and cant hit the broad side of a barn. Unless he develops an outside shot he is going to be a bust in the NBA. Our bigs score on dunks but display nothing in the way of low post moves and it is obvious they are not getting coached up. We are for the most part solid on D but this is a flawed team in the basketball 101. If you cant shoot you will not win

I guess I just don't really get the selfish perspective. Outside of Southerland, it doesn't really seem to me that anyone on the team is selfish. They just flat out aren't that good, largely due to the lack of creators and shooters on the team.

Agreed. I don't think they are selfish. Just desperate at times to make plays, maybe.

First all year? C'mon man! We need your support.

(If you're a soldier deployed overseas, ignore my comment, and thank you for your service)

LOL No, let me explain why. First I live in Iowa, where weekday games come on at 6pm. My work schedule is 7am-7pm. That is why I follow them via ESPN on my iPhone. I try to get home as soon as I can to salvage the rest of the game, and the family is good enough to let me watch it before family time begins :) Weekend schedule has been working either 9-6 or 10-7. Weekend work has just ended, which is why I was able to actually watch the whole game for a change :) Trust me, the support is there.

The pre-season ranking plus MCW hype pushed everyone's expectations way over the top.

Bad news, this team isn't elite.

Good news, the field is wide open this year.

This team makes it to the sweet sixteen, I'll call it a good year.

The best thing about college bball is you always have a chance in the tourney and there is always next year.

Hell, let's win the BET and render it officially shut down with Cuse on top.

Year is not over.

It's a shame because the zone has been mostly good all year. A couple of games we had some guard penetration and some poor inside D issues. Mostly good though. Lots of teams are having trouble scoring this year albeit maybe not quite like us. If we had just even average offense capabilities we would probably looking at a Final 4.

LOL No, let me explain why. First I live in Iowa, where weekday games come on at 6pm. My work schedule is 7am-7pm. That is why I follow them via ESPN on my iPhone. I try to get home as soon as I can to salvage the rest of the game, and the family is good enough to let me watch it before family time begins :) Weekend schedule has been working either 9-6 or 10-7. Weekend work has just ended, which is why I was able to actually watch the whole game for a change :) Trust me, the support is there.
DVR is a magical thing. I prefer not watching live sporting events. You can literally watch every second of action in half the time.