This writer gets it | Syracusefan.com

This writer gets it

Who owns the Garden

• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's very unlikely the ACC will bring their tournament to MSG while the Big East exists as a healthy and strong basketball league.

And yes, with UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Villanova, Memphis, Notre Dame, St. John's and Temple the Big East will have a healthy and strong basketball league.

While it is nice to dream, I think the sooner Orange fans come to realize that we will not be playing in the Garden come post-season time (unless, god forbid, we don't make the NCAAs) the better.

Cheers,
Neil

It's very unlikely the ACC will bring their tournament to MSG while the Big East exists as a healthy and strong basketball league.

And yes, with UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Villanova, Memphis, Notre Dame, St. John's and Temple the Big East will have a healthy and strong basketball league.

While it is nice to dream, I think the sooner Orange fans come to realize that we will not be playing in the Garden come post-season time (unless, god forbid, we don't make the NCAAs) the better.

Cheers,
Neil
Theres always the Barclay Center, I know its not the same. MSG would be stupid to sign that extension with the Big East through 2026. The ACC should rotate Greensboro/MSG/Atlanta. Btw, we have a ton of fans in all 3 cities ;-)

Cheers,
Neil

I really disagree here and I'm hoping last night's awful championship game crowd will scare some of the MSG folks straight. Judging by some of the national CBB writers on twitter last night, it seemed to wake a few of them up. I'm sure the powers-that-be at MSG were paying attention too. Tickets were being given away to the BET Championship game. As the flavor of the BE becomes less and less NE-centric, that becomes your future, Big East.

Can you imagine a semifinal Friday (or Saturday) with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Maryland and/or Pitt? Talk about an impossible ticket. If the ACC hierarchy really wants to play a conference tourney in NYC some day, I think that its very likely to happen. It may take a few more Lville-Cincy title games with lots of empty seats and no buzz, but eventually it will get to that point. The 80s-90s are never coming back.

I really disagree here and I'm hoping last night's awful championship game crowd will scare some of the MSG folks straight. Judging by some of the national CBB writers on twitter last night, it seemed to wake a few of them up. I'm sure the powers-that-be at MSG were paying attention too. Tickets were being given away to the BET Championship game. As the flavor of the BE becomes less and less NE-centric, that becomes your future, Big East.

Can you imagine a semifinal Friday (or Saturday) with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Maryland and/or Pitt? Talk about an impossible ticket. If the ACC hierarchy really wants to play a conference tourney in NYC some day, I think that its very likely to happen. It may take a few more Lville-Cincy title games with lots of empty seats and no buzz, but eventually it will get to that point. The 80s-90s are never coming back.
You couldnt tell as much on tv because its so dark and MSG has that feel but like many articles stated today the buzz WAS NOT there. There were no loud moments, no excitement, no ticket demands. Not too sound like a Syracuse homer with a giant ego but is there anything that could compare to Syracuse and MSG. Look at the highlights of great games played there and half of them are us. We take over the city and MSG when we play there. Losing us is a deathblow to the Big East Tourney, I truly believe that.

Duke/UNC/Syracuse in the Semi's of the ACC at MSG would be ridiculous. I literally get goosebumps just thinking about the day that happens.

The game was as crowded last night as it was on Friday, surprisingly. There was little buzz, but buzz does not make money.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

The game was as crowded last night as it was on Friday, surprisingly. There was little buzz, but buzz does not make money.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Buzz matters long-term. A few more clunkers in front of half-interested crowds, the BET loses its aura and place as the premier conference tourney in the country. And how many of the fans in the building were Syracuse fans? Don't underestimate our school's contribution to the success of this tourney. Do you think Uconn fans are going to come in the same numbers if they are playing semifinal games against Cincy or Temple or whoever? Our loss (and add in Pitt if you want) significantly weakens the allure of the BET in the long-term.

can you imagine the acc losing nc same as the big east losing cuse

Cheers,
Neil

agree- my hope is that they can start rotating games through a select list of cities. NYC might be a long shot, but one site that I hope is added and makes a ton of sense is DC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom