This year vs. Last year | Syracusefan.com

This year vs. Last year

Does this team have as much upside as last year?

I think so. They've had 3 really good wins the last 3 games. If we make the tournament, we are sure to be our usual bracket busters! The lower the seed the better. The more brackets we will bust!

I think so. They've had 3 really good wins the last 3 games. If we make the tournament, we are sure to be our usual bracket busters! The lower the seed the better. The more brackets we will bust!
I think this year the match-ups have to be more favorable than last. Our D last year was good enough at times to keep us in games with a lack of offense. This year, if we don't shoot well we have no chance. But it all depends on the 2-3 with this squad because it fuels our offense.

The tournament is often about experience, guard play, and D.

Last year we had two senior guards and frosh Malachi @ SF, this year is kinda similar with a senior guard, a senior SF, and a freshman guard. Add in a year's extra experience in Lydon & we are OK with experience. Gillon will be a huge key, can't expect what he delivered in his two big games, but he will have to do more than he did against Virginia every game in a tournament run. The D seems to be improving, but is not there yet. If the D can get to where we need it to be by March we will be a very tough out.

Last year we had two senior guards and frosh Malachi @ SF, this year is kinda similar with a senior guard, a senior SF, and a freshman guard. Add in a year's extra experience in Lydon & we are OK with experience. Gillon will be a huge key, can't expect what he delivered in his two big games, but he will have to do more than he did against Virginia every game in a tournament run. The D seems to be improving, but is not there yet. If the D can get to where we need it to be by March we will be a very tough out.

Virginia sold out to take away his looks. That 43 point outburst really got their attention. Luckily, he was productive in the second half down the stretch when it mattered. That teardrop he hit in the lane over three guys was a very important bucket, after UVa had cut the lead to 1.

It's all about guard play and guess who just had his coming out party at the dome.

Tyus Battle's going to build off this momentum and you'll all see it continue against Clemson, Pitt, Louisville and Duke.

Buy tickets for Duke and UL, these will be memorable dome games. I don't care what day they land on.

Virginia sold out to take away his looks. That 43 point outburst really got their attention. Luckily, he was productive in the second half down the stretch when it mattered. That teardrop he hit in the lane over three guys was a very important bucket, after UVa had cut the lead to 1.
All true, they were doubling John up top and anybody can be taken out of a given game. We were very fortunate that Andrew and Tyus were on fire, but really that should have opened things up big-time for Lydon. He should have had open corner treys and/or mismatches down low that we simply did not exploit. In this game hot hands overcame lack of proper execution IMHO. Something is wrong when our best player only gets five shots off in a game when somebody else is being doubled. Of course, UVA never adjusted to why are hands were hot, ie , they never closed down the drive penetrations. All interesting to say the least. Can't quibble with what worked in a given game, but the fact that we won while leaving stones unturned points to more team upside.

I think the ceiling is wayyy higher this year. A lot of games last year we won were either defensive slugfests or G going off. Cooney had his moments but was inconsistent - same with Mali. This year I think we have 4 legit guys who can score and almost take over a game - we didn't have that last year. Obviously at this point our D was better last year, but there is still time for this team to improve defensively. If this team starts to play defense like we did last year - I believe this is the better team.

No. I don't think this team can step up its defense enough to have last year's upside. Gillon is too short to be a plus defender up top, and White lacks the athleticism of a typical Syracuse wing. Thompson is a train wreck on defense but he has a greater ability to improve than Gillon and White because his limitations aren't physical.

The offense is arguably improved from last year, but not as much as the defense has regressed. Sorry to be a downer.

Over the last few games I see the defense getting better for longer stretches of time. They just need to go out and put together a full game defensive effort.

I have a lot more faith in the ability of this year's offense to score points. We have too many weapons for other teams to just focus on one scorer.

I am still not 100% sold on the greatness of our guard play. Too many turnovers, too many mental mistakes. Hot shooting helps cover up some bonehead moves from our guards.

I think the defense is getting much better. We are seeing more passing lane steals. That takes experience playing the zone. I think Gillon and Battle at the top have been shifting a lot better. I think White is much better shifting forward and getting back. I think this team may finally be reaching its potential.

I think the defense is getting much better. We are seeing more passing lane steals. That takes experience playing the zone. I think Gillon and Battle at the top have been shifting a lot better. I think White is much better shifting forward and getting back. I think this team may finally be reaching its potential.
Agreed - now let's see that defense on the road!!

I think this team will do in the ACCT since it is in Brooklyn and we will have a large fan base there - they will feed off the energy.They just seem to have trouble with opposing fan bases for some reason. It's possible to feed off negative energy too!

Agreed - now let's see that defense on the road!!
I think this team will do in the ACCT since it is in Brooklyn and we will have a large fan base there - they will feed off the energy.They just seem to have trouble with opposing fan bases for some reason. It's possible to feed off negative energy too!

I am planning on attending!

That teardrop he hit in the lane over three guys was a very important bucket, after UVa had cut the lead to 1.
When I watched a replay of that shot, it was so dangerously close to being blocked and igniting a fast break the other way for a Viriginia go-ahead layup. Even though we scored, I hope we don't find Gillon attempting that ever again.

When I watched a replay of that shot, it was so dangerously close to being blocked and igniting a fast break the other way for a Viriginia go-ahead layup. Even though we scored, I hope we don't find Gillon attempting that ever again.

You must trust the wink.

gillon_moxie.png

Oy vey...

The sky's always falling at Franco's pizza.

Virginia, Notre Dame and Michigan are the only D-1 teams averaging fewer than 10 turnovers per game.
The Orange forced 15 on UVA...a team that supposedly never beats itself.
That's game.
That's the D we need to maintain...home and away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom