This year's offense... | Syracusefan.com

This year's offense...

Dave85

Living Legend
I like this year's offense so much better than the last two years. I love all the pick-n-rolls. Almost every screen is a possible roll to the basket. I love the arching drives from the wings down the lane to the basket. I like there is so much off the ball movement. I think this year's offense is going to be really good by the end of the season. And of course the better shooting is huge. But I really like the motion plays they are running and all the kick outs to open players. There was one sequence during the Texas game where TC gave the ball to G, G drove to the basket, he then kicked it out to an wide open TC who drained a 3. That was terrific stuff!! I really hope our offense continues to play this well!! Really fun to watch. Just awesome stuff!!

I like this year's offense so much better than the last two years. I love all the pick-n-rolls. Almost every screen is a possible roll to the basket. I love the arching drives from the wings down the lane to the basket. I like there is so much off the ball movement. I think this year's offense is going to be really good by the end of the season. And of course the better shooting is huge. But I really like the motion plays they are running and all the kick outs to open players. There was one sequence during the Texas game where TC gave the ball to G, G drove to the basket, he then kicked it out to an wide open TC who drained a 3. That was terrific stuff!! I really hope our offense continues to play this well!! Really fun to watch. Just awesome stuff!!
I agree. I am a huge SA/ Popovich fan and Pop always says: the ball should not stick. Ie keep the ball moving to an open player. If ive had a criticism of the SU offense going back to the days of Dion, its that the ball would stick (ie w one guy and not keep moving to an open guy). This year the ball doesnt stick. Imo this offense very much resembles San Antonio or Golden State this year. Great to watch!

And when i say resembles i just mean a very solid college version of...

Last edited:
This offense reminds me a lot of some of the recent Duke teams.
I cant give you a like because i hate duk, but imo you are right

I think in the Olympics K learned a lot from JB on zone and JB learned a lot from K on offensive philosophy. We have to remember, one of those K/JB led olympic teams basically played without a true C most of the time. So when Lydon is out there now w TRob, Mal, G and TC it is a very similar concept to what we saw in the olympics...

I agree. I am a huge SA/ Popovich fan and Pop always says: the ball should not stick. Ie keep the ball moving to an open player. If ive had a criticism of the SU offense going back to the days of Dion, its that the ball would stick (ie w one guy and not keep moving to an open guy). This year the ball doesnt stick. Imo this offense very much resembles San Antonio or Golden State this year. Great to watch!

And when i say resembles i just mean a very solid college version of...

:) agree its fun to watch. All teams are different every year though, and that has nothing to do with the name on the jersey.

Its really rare to find two isolation studs who are good enough to do it in the nba on one college team. I imagine the kind of ball we are playing now, isn't as hard to reproduce.
Trouble with isolation ball is do you have the tough defense to be able to afford it.

Last edited:
It's especially evident on the double high post screen and rolls. Lydon pulled that play off several times against UCONN and A&M. It's going to be fun to watch as the year goes on. The key is to continue to attack the rim and hit open threes.

This offense reminds me a lot of some of the recent Duke teams.
I'm sorry to have to keep apologizing for this, but we were at Duke for 12 years so, yes, I rooted for them and I still like them. I also loved that bad intense boy Christian Laettner, and some people are thinking Tyler Lydon might be a more "couth" version of Christian. So, the comparison of this year's team to Duke is apt, I think, and a compliment to the team. What I am hoping for now is that they will keep up the energy and play every game as an opportunity to get better, even if they are playing against Leprous Orphans of St. Cecilia. Duke and Coach K never give up the intensity. I actually like that Coach B doesn't run up the score against our less talented opponents, but you will find no such mercy from Duke. The result is they learn to play with intensity no matter what, and it has served them well (while making them appear like bullies).

I hope we will not play down our opponents. We don't have to flatten them but let's try to play with good energy every game. (I do understand that a tournament environment is so much more stimulating than playing Colgate in a half empty Carrier Dome.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom