This year's team is everything last year's team wasn't | Syracusefan.com

This year's team is everything last year's team wasn't

TinyManInside

Our only goal will be the western shores.
Better chemistry, better hustle, better flow, strong around the basket, better coached, and tougher.

Wish we had some of last year's outside shooting but so far this team is a ton of fun to watch because you can tell how much they want to win.

I honestly cannot believe how much this team has improved in a month.

Mason

I'll sacrifice outside shooting for showing what this team has.

I agree with you - they want it. The effort is unlike I've any seen in a long, long time. I think Frank/Tyus can be as good as any backcourt in the ACC. I think O'Shae will have games where he completely dominates. I think there will be games where teams against us cannot hit a 3 and we just destroy them.

Last year I felt like I was watching a bunch of NBA auditions. This year I feel like i'm watching a bunch of guys who want to win. This team might not get to 20 wins. But it's hard not to get excited about this group. The chemistry and unity just seems so much better.

I haven't been this excited about a win in a long, long time.

Some thoughts on our rotation:

Frank Howard - really seems to be shouldering the load from a leadership standpoint. He made several 'answer' plays today where he either drove and scored, or drove and assisted to end a Maryland run. He needs to clean up a few of the unforced errors but I don't have a problem with a few turnovers when he's trying to create for his teammates... 10 assists today and controlled tempo the whole game, going against a pretty pesky defender in Cowan. He easily could have had another 6 points tonight as his last 2 three point attempts were mostly down before they rolled around the rim and out.

Tyus Battle - not much to say here, kid just has a knack for making plays. His midrange game is phenomenal and hard to stop, because so few players have a midrange game anymore - so defenders aren't prepared for it.

O'Shae Brissett - dude needs to cut down on the 3 point shot attempts. He's so dynamic going to the basket that it takes away from his game when he's settling for low percentage long range shots. I think that percentage will come up in time - it looks like he has the basic fundamentals to become a good shooter from distance, but for right now I'd like to see him focus more on the midrange, offensive boards, and driving to the basket. I LOVE the way he attacks the glass. He had a couple of MANSIZED rebounds tonight. He's only going to get better and better.

My worry with him is that he's sort of in that 'tweener' region where he's not yet dominant at the college level, but he has NBA-like measurables and potential. Do we get a second year from him? Between him, Howard, and Battle, we have 3 guys who can drive it to the basket. A nice luxury.

Marek Dolezaj - the Junkyard Dog - kid does all the dirty work. He's super physical and isn't afraid to mix it up. His offensive skillset needs a lot of work but he's got such a good feel for the ball - where it's going, how it's going to bounce... he just gets INVOLVED in everything. I'm not crazy about him launching up a 3 point attempt with 3 minutes left in a tight game, but you just have to love how he gets after it, up high going for rebounds, or down low on the floor diving for loose balls. I wish he were about 20% stronger, as he still coughs the ball up too easily, but I do love that he isn't afraid of contact.

Pascal Chuckwu - he's 20 times better than he was last year. I'm not saying he's good... but last year he could barely get up and down the court (even before the eye injury). He causes havoc with his long arms, and he and Frank seem to have developed some nice chemistry on the dribble/drive/dish. The thing that really really impressed me tonight was that he was on the floor diving for loose balls TWICE. When's the last time you saw that from a 7'2" kid? Love it.

Bourama Sidibe - probably has the best offensive skills for an incoming big man at SU in a long, long time. I'm really happy with how he is developing and only expect him to improve. He and Pascal had a tough matchup with Fernando tonight and they both really battled hard all game. I'll take 14 points, 5 boards, and 4 blocks out of the center position any day (well, I'd like to see a few more rebounds, but with Marek and Oshae combining to pull in 20 tonight, there weren't many extra boards to be had).

These guys are our 6 best players and there is a dropoff after them. Boeheim will probably go 8 deep this year but only situationally... foul trouble or matchup will allow Thorpe and Moyer to get some playing time but the other 6 are your main guys this year.

Thorpe just doesn't look like an ACC guard to me. He looks like a kid from Canisius who comes into the dome and scores 16 points on 7-19 shooting and his team loses by 21. He can be an effective 3rd guard for this team, but so far he doesn't look anywhere near as talented as Battle and Howard. We can't afford for him to come in and have 2 turnovers in 4 minutes on the floor. He needs to protect the ball and pick his spots offensively.

Moyer... needs some work. He just isn't fluid athletically. There will be games where his size and rebounding will be needed, but he's clearly behind Brissett and Dolezaj when it comes to being productive forwards.

Howard Washington... incomplete - can't evaluate him effectively because I've only really seen him play in the exhibitions against D2 talent.

Last edited:
Agree 100%.

And I think / believe that the team has more offensive potential than they're showing.

The stuff that you mentioned -- the toughness, the willingness to mix it up, the shot blocking, giving their bodies diving on the floor to chase loose balls, lots of guys with high hoops IQ -- those are inherent attributes that not all teams have. You either have the raw materials, or you don't. This team has those qualities.

If they can figure out some things offensively and round into form a bit, this could be a really dangerous team once they gain some experience.

Like Scooch, I figured that this team wouldn't be very good -- I was crossing my fingers that they might somehow eke into the NCAA tournament if all the stars aligned -- but I'm very pleasantly surprised by this team. I think we're going to have our hands full Saturday, but this team has a TON of upside.

Frank Howard - really seems to be shouldering the load from a leadership standpoint. He made several 'answer' plays today where he either drove and scored, or drove and assisted to end a Maryland run. He needs to clean up a few of the unforced errors but I don't have a problem with a few turnovers when he's trying to create for his teammates... 10 assists today and controlled tempo the whole game, going against a pretty pesky defender in Cowan. He easily could have had another 6 points tonight as his last 2 three point attempts were mostly down before they rolled around the rim and out.

Tyus Battle - not much to say here, kid just has a knack for making plays. His midrange game is phenomenal and hard to stop, because so few players have a midrange game anymore - so defenders aren't prepared for it.

O'Shae Brissett - dude needs to cut down on the 3 point shot attempts. He's so dynamic going to the basket that it takes away from his game when he's settling for low percentage long range shots. I think that percentage will come up in time - it looks like he has the basic fundamentals to become a good shooter from distance, but for right now I'd like to see him focus more on the midrange, offensive boards, and driving to the basket. I LOVE the way he attacks the glass. He had a couple of MANSIZED rebounds tonight. He's only going to get better and better.

My worry with him is that he's sort of in that 'tweener' region where he's not yet dominant at the college level, but he has NBA-like measurables and potential. Do we get a second year from him? Between him, Howard, and Battle, we have 3 guys who can drive it to the basket. A nice luxury.

Marek Dolezaj - the Junkyard Dog - kid does all the dirty work. He's super physical and isn't afraid to mix it up. His offensive skillset needs a lot of work but he's got such a good feel for the ball - where it's going, how it's going to bounce... he just gets INVOLVED in everything. I'm not crazy about him launching up a 3 point attempt with 3 minutes left in a tight game, but you just have to love how he gets after it, up high going for rebounds, or down low on the floor diving for loose balls. I wish he were about 20% stronger, as he still coughs the ball up too easily, but I do love that he isn't afraid of contact.

Pascal Chuckwu - he's 20 times better than he was last year. I'm not saying he's good... but last year he could barely get up and down the court (even before the eye injury). He causes havoc with his long arms, and he and Frank seem to have developed some nice chemistry on the dribble/drive/dish. The thing that really really impressed me tonight was that he was on the floor diving for loose balls TWICE. When's the last time you saw that from a 7'2" kid? Love it.

Bourama Sidibe - probably has the best offensive skills for an incoming big man at SU in a long, long time. I'm really happy with how he is developing and only expect him to improve. He and Pascal had a tough matchup with Fernando tonight and they both really battled hard all game. I'll take 14 points, 5 boards, and 4 blocks out of the center position any day (well, I'd like to see a few more rebounds, but with Marek and Oshae combining to pull in 20 tonight, there weren't many extra boards to be had).

These guys are our 6 best players and there is a dropoff after them. Boeheim will probably go 8 deep this year but only situationally... foul trouble or matchup will allow Thorpe and Moyer to get some playing time but the other 6 are your main guys this year.

Thorpe just doesn't look like an ACC guard to me. He looks like a kid from Canisius who comes into the dome and scores 16 points on 7-19 shooting and his team loses by 21. He can be an effective 3rd guard for this team, but so far he doesn't look anywhere near as talented as Battle and Howard. We can't afford for him to come in and have 2 turnovers in 4 minutes on the floor. He needs to protect the ball and pick his spots offensively.

Moyer... needs some work. He just isn't fluid athletically. There will be games where his size and rebounding will be needed, but he's clearly behind Brissett and Dolezaj when it comes to being productive forwards.

Howard Washington... incomplete - can't evaluate him effectively because I've only really seen him play in the exhibitions against D2 talent.
A terrific post, Mason!

Love the post.

Brisset looks like a young John Wallace right now and I think he can be that good. It took Wallace till about his third year before he was regularly hitting threes. But the game is different now, brisset clearly has NBA aspirations (where he will need to be able to hit from 3) so i doubt he drops them entirely. The spotty distance shooting may have the incidental benefit of keeping him in school longer.

Agree on Thorpe too. I suspect he will look better than he has so far, but the thing I find most surprising is that he doesn't look physically like an acc player. Every time I see him in there I have to remind myself it's the fifth year senior and not Howard Washington. I think the ceiling is relatively low but the team is going to need something from him at times.

On Moyer I think he's kind of stuck in a weird irony - he brings something su has often lacked (a lot of energy and I think he's legitimately a good rebounder) but this happens to be a team that has those things in abundance.

The team does need a 7th guy to step up. Don't think it matters who it is, but there's going to be foul trouble and injuries. I wonder whether boeheim might even experiment with sidibe at the 4. I think right now he can do most of what Moyer can.

I really like what we're seeing here. Great hustle and just banging on the boards. When was the last time you heard JAB in pressers saying he was pleased with the rebounding? Frank Howard is really coming into his own and showing more poise than I thought possible. This team is super fun to watch. *SO EXCITING!*

Few quick points:
  • The Brissett quick 2nd and 3rd jumps remind me of Carmelo (not saying he's as good, just that aspect)
  • Think Thorpe might have a little more to give
  • Looking forward to seeing Marek with a little more strength next year
  • Can't believe how much better Howard is-He is the X factor that can make us much better than average
  • What was amazing to me is we beat them despite being dominated from the 3 point line
  • Battle is so consistently great in the clutch, it is ridiculous

Last edited:

This was a great throwback to the days when a lot of us old-timers used to be more frequent posters. And it was a special treat because it came from one of our traditionally best observers. Thanks for taking the time to come back from the payside and write this for the great unwashed--and here's hoping that the team keeps you, and us all, exuberant all year long. I love watching these guys play and couldn't agree more with your points, and with the many suggestions tonight that this year's edition is so much more of a team than the last bunch.

Few quick points:
  • The Brissett quick 2nd and 3rd jumps remind me of Carmelo (not saying he's as good, just that aspect)
  • Think Thorpe might have a little more to give
  • Looking forward to seeing Marek with a little more strength next year
  • Can't believe how much better Howard is-He is the X factor that can make us much better than average
  • What was amazing to me is we beat them despite being dominated from the 3 point line
Yeah, we shot very poorly from three. Had decent looks too.

Getting a win like this where we played well but left some meat on the bone isn't a bad thing. We haven't hit our ceiling yet I don't think.

Excellent post. Thought Dolezaj's slight back screen on battle's big three was a huge, unsung play in this game. Moyer is interesting -- gave 9 minutes tonight, which isn't a complete zero, but he contributed nothing from a numbers perspective. He just doesn't appear to have a clue as to what he's supposed to do on either end, for the most part. But he hustles and has size, which isn't a horrible thing. I feel like the key for him is can he get to a point where he can actually contribute something in 5-7 minutes? It would buy a solid breather for Dolezaj and a quick breather for Brissett. That would be valuable. Not sure we're going to see that, however. Chuckwu putting in 18 solid minutes in a quality win is almost inconceivable based on what we saw last year.

i'm not a fan of grad transfers, especially for a program of our caliber, and with sanctions coming to an end, i think its a pretty good bet that the grad transfer era will end with them
but that being said, he's got to be better than he has shown so far, doesn't he?

one or the other of he & moyer is going to have to give us minutes. i think frankie & tyus could go 40 a night, but i worry about the frosh forwards, especially dolezaj.

Better chemistry, better hustle, better flow, strong around the basket, better coached, and tougher.

Wish we had some of last year's outside shooting but so far this team is a ton of fun to watch because you can tell how much they want to win.

I honestly cannot believe how much this team has improved in a month.

Mason

The better flow is the interesting part. Certainly didn't see that in the exhibitions but it's absolutely true this far, particularly with the offensive rebounding. I actually thought JB did a decent job with an island of misfit toys last year and that that team played tough. Having said that, he's done a masterful job with this group.

This post should be pinned somewhere.
Damn.

Several excellent posts in this thread. The one issue that haunted me from last evening is that we need to have Sidibe available to play (not fouling out) in the final minutes. Chuckwu could cost us dearly in crunch time with his poor free throw shooting. Not sure how JB can manage their minutes any differently but future teams will target Chuckwu if he is on the floor. Of course if some free throws would start falling for him, that would help. Great game. Lets Go Orange.

Several excellent posts in this thread. The one issue that haunted me from last evening is that we need to have Sidibe available to play (not fouling out) in the final minutes. Chuckwu could cost us dearly in crunch time with his poor free throw shooting. Not sure how JB can manage their minutes any differently but future teams will target Chuckwu if he is on the floor. Of course if some free throws would start falling for him, that would help. Great game. Lets Go Orange.
Agree about Chuckwu, but not sure if Sidibe is much better at the line

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom