Thomas Bryant | Syracusefan.com

Thomas Bryant

orangedave

Starter
Anyone catch the quick Q&A with Thomas Bryant during the Indiana - Georgia Tech NIT game?

One of the questions from Jeff Goodman: If not Tom Crean, which coach would like to play for?
Bryant's response: Jim Boeheim

Found that pretty interesting. Maybe Bryant just trying to please his mom.

What's his deal this year? I don't follow IU hoops very often but I don't hear much about him anymore. Even when I watch one of their games he is often not on the floor or not being talked about. Has he taken a step back? I would assume they had high hopes for him this year.

What's his deal this year? I don't follow IU hoops very often but I don't hear much about him anymore. Even when I watch one of their games he is often not on the floor or not being talked about. Has he taken a step back? I would assume they had high hopes for him this year.
Averaged 12.5 ppg and 6.6 rpg...not exactly First team AA stuff.

Averaged 12.5 ppg and 6.6 rpg...not exactly First team AA stuff.

He plays more on the perimeter than he used to looking for 3's. He's a pretty decent 3 point shooter but it takes him out of many plays. Surprisingly he really doesn't play many minutes - only averaged a little over 22 last year - 28 this year but still averaged over 3 fouls a game in those minutes.

This kid really baffles me. Yes the program was just hit w some pretty serious sanctions, but a proper evaluation would have made him realize that a couple less scholarships per year does not render the situation "chaotic". He had a chance to play for a school right down the road from his home and mother. He should have seen that JB had a solid foundation/team that he would have only made stronger. He was the meat this team was missing in the paint against UNC last April.

Bottom line is this kid made the wrong decision. What evidence did he see from Tom Crean that he would be groomed for the NBA while having a shot at a national title? I have no idea what this kid was thinking by going to Indiana of all places. I mean pick Michigan if you're going to the Big Ten, not Indiana and Tom freaking Crean!

So with Indiana's season over and Tom Crean possibly being fired, is there anyway possible Bryant can get a release and come to Syracuse next year since he's only a projected second round pick?

I kid(kind of).

This kid really baffles me. Yes the program was just hit w some pretty serious sanctions, but a proper evaluation would have made him realize that a couple less scholarships per year does not render the situation "chaotic". He had a chance to play for a school right down the road from his home and mother. He should have seen that JB had a solid foundation/team that he would have only made stronger. He was the meat this team was missing in the paint against UNC last April.

Bottom line is this kid made the wrong decision. What evidence did he see from Tom Crean that he would be groomed for the NBA while having a shot at a national title? I have no idea what this kid was thinking by going to Indiana of all places. I mean pick Michigan if you're going to the Big Ten, not Indiana and Tom freaking Crean!

You're really going to say a 17 year old kid made the wrong decision? They won the Big 10 in the regular season last year and made the sweet 16. He made a decision which he felt was best for him.

You're really going to say a 17 year old kid made the wrong decision? They won the Big 10 in the regular season last year and made the sweet 16. He made a decision which he felt was best for him.

If he felt it was completely best for him he would have said "I wouldn't play for any other coach. I love my coach and where I'm playing." Hypothetical or not, you just don't say that out of respect for Crean. But that's just me.

In terms of playing at the next level and having a better coaching staff around him to groom him for the next level, I feel he made the wrong decision. Winning the Big Ten versus going to the Final Four- I'd take Final Four. It's just my opinion.

Tom Crean is a homeless man's John Calipari. Sneaky salesman, says he'll get you ready for the NBA.

This offseason I heard ESPN 'experts' praising how Tom Crean and the IU basketball program develops NBA talent. Tom Crean has 'developed' 3 first round picks:
Oladipo and Zeller in 2013
Noah Vonleh in 2014

Oladipo I'll give credit for, since he wasn't highly recruited at all. Zeller was a 7 foot McDonald's all-American and regarded as the top center prospect in the nation, while Vonleh was a top 25 player coming in and regarded as a 1 and done.

IU is where NBA prospects go to waste away.

If he felt it was completely best for him he would have said "I wouldn't play for any other coach. I love my coach and where I'm playing." Hypothetical or not, you just don't say that out of respect for Crean. But that's just me.

In terms of playing at the next level and having a better coaching staff around him to groom him for the next level, I feel he made the wrong decision. Winning the Big Ten versus going to the Final Four- I'd take Final Four. It's just my opinion.

While I do wish he came here .. there's no way to predict exactly how a team will pan out. They win the big 10 regular season and make a sweet 16. Pretty good season. We make a final four. Indiana could have been bounced in Round 1 or 2 and Syracuse could have done the same. Impossible to know the futures.

Sanctions obviously scared recruits - he wasn't the only one. However it is not like we are known for sending big men to the NBA. I can't fault the kid at all

As a kid who made the decision to go to SU to get away from NYC, I can understand wanting to experience something other than Central/Western New York. He had a great visit at IU (with one of the players who was dismissed from the team later in the season). It is a high pressure decision and one that has ramifications on the rest of his life. If that is where he was comfortable, who am I to fault him for not going to SU?

He simply became more comfortable on the perimeter.

Syracuse is a 3 seed with Thomas Bryant on this team. In the real Tournament I mean.

*sigh*
I have no doubt this would have been the case. This was the most damaging recruiting decision/development over the last few years.

I have no doubt this would have been the case. This was the most damaging recruiting decision/development over the last few years.

We haven't seen him pan out yet, but Quade defecting in the last week will have larger consequences as it was hoped he'd reel in other 5 star talent.

We haven't seen him pan out yet, but Quade defecting in the last week will have larger consequences as it was hoped he'd reel in other 5 star talent.

Yes QG decision could certainly trump Bryant. I see your point. However, in terms of these last two teams and last year's Final Four team having a guy like Bryant... one can only speculate.

Yes QG decision could certainly trump Bryant. I see your point. However, in terms of these last two teams and last year's Final Four team having a guy like Bryant... one can only speculate.

Oh, absolutely. Having a legitimate paint presence could have taken that team over the top.

Tom Crean has 'developed' 3 first round picks:
b6349c76cd69e671cfc6d90f0e026b32.jpg

we gotta find guys willing to come out and play . til then we gotta keep them speculated.

hqdefault.jpg