Thought experiment | Syracusefan.com

Thought experiment

Which project would you want to develop

• 7-2; you can't teach size and he might become a defensive presence if nothing else

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • 5-6; ballhandling and shooting are skills that could come in handy at any moment

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

moqui

generational talent
Scenario: You are coach of a major Division I team. You have a roster that is fully stocked with quality players at every position - 4 guards, 5 forwards, 3 centers. You have full confidence in both your starters and your reserves. You don't have any team needs. So, you decide to use your final scholarship on a longshot player. One is a 7-2 inch foreign born player with good athleticism but limited skills because he only played his first game less than a year ago. The other is a little 5-6 guard with excellent ball handling skills and deep range on his jumper.

Which one do you take?

Does the little guy have exceptional speed and agility?

easy, the center. you can find 5'6" guards who can dribble anywhere. can't find athletic 7 footers..well anywhere!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

easy choice, the 7'2" guy all day long. As someone said, you can't teach height. There are tons of short fast guys that can dribble and shoot in DII and DIII ball.

easy, the center. you can find 5'6" guards who can dribble anywhere. can't find athletic 7 footers..well anywhere!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I agree. I'll take my shot at the one-in-a-million and pass on the dime-a-dozen. The scenario provided expressed no needs so might as well go for the biggest possible up side.

Guard. You can never have enough shooters

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

there is a good looking girl on every street cornor of America but a shot blocking big man is hard to find. The 7-2 kid every day of the week.

I take the big guy, nickname him Gigantor, and roll the ball out.

If I wanted a 5-6 guard I'da offered myself a scholarship when I was a sophomore in high school.

I'd take the little guy because his skill set makes him more game ready. In the event of injury or foul trouble he could easily see meaningful action.

The big guy is likely to rarely see the court in this scenario due to his limited basketball experience and program depth. I'd encourage him to find another situation where his development might happen more quickly and he could get actual game experience.

you just passed on gorgei deing... YOU FAILED THE TEST... you coulda had aquille carr

Nope I got Dakari Johnson in the spring when one of my bigs moved on.

What kind of defense does this team usually play?

Through my orange-colored glasses, I think any 5'6" player would be worthless to the team most of us root for.