Thoughts on best Five | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on best Five

20Plus

MCW
BT
JS
CJ
Grant...

I know we lose a little d, very little if any on boards...
But we gain a five trying to guard CJ or Grant When on O and five guys we can shoot and pull guys away from basket for MCW and BT Triche to drive

Mentioned this in tomcats thread. Would love to see Jimmy try it. Not sure he will tho.

Grant and Fair roaming the baseline and around the rim with the ability and freedom to stwp out from time to time.

Southie floating around the perimeter while Mike and Brandon distribute, facilitate, and penetrate.

Offensively i love it. Can Grant play the 5 in the zone? That is the question.

Mentioned this in tomcats thread. Would love to see Jimmy try it. Not sure he will tho.

Grant and Fair roaming the baseline and around the rim with the ability and freedom to stwp out from time to time.

Southie floating around the perimeter while Mike and Brandon distribute, facilitate, and penetrate.

Offensively i love it. Can Grant play the 5 in the zone? That is the question.

Like nova FF team just bigger at 1-4 and close call at the 5

With MCW and Triche doing much better work lately on the defensive boards, this lineup could be good enough on D. On offense, that's a scary group to say the least!

Grant would get in foul trouble quickly IMO, especially against teams with talented bigs(most of the big east)

Think we are selling Rak a little short. He was in foul trouble today and didn't get a chance to do that much. I thought he was excellent against ND when the offense actually looked for him. His shot blocking and defense are also vastly superior to any of the three wings would be in middle.

Do not get me wrong, I love Grant and fully believe he should split minutes with Dirty until he proves he can't produce at the same level.

Personally I would rather see a rotation that featured, CJ moving to guard when MCW/Triche come out.

This is how I would do it:
MCW
Triche
Fair
Grant
Christmas

Southerland
Baye
Cooney (sparingly)

JB has said that Grant isn't a center. The only way he uses that line-up is if Rak and Baye are both in bad foul trouble.

MCW
BT
JS
CJ
Grant...

But we gain a five trying to guard CJ or Grant When on O and five guys we can shoot and pull guys away from basket for MCW and BT Triche to drive

Call me ol' fashioned - we won the big ring with Craig Forth at the 5 - but I just don't like a line-up with out Rak or Keita banging and being productive at the 5.

MCW
BT
JS
CJ
Grant...

I disagree with the idea we lose a little defense and no rebounding with this lineup. I think we lose a good amount of both. The middle of the zone is the hardest place to play. To ask a skinny athletic forward who is a freshman to do it seem reckless in my opinion. We can't lose fact of the reality that this is a elite defensive team first. Our best lineup in my opinion and I don't think it is that close is:

MCW
BT
Dirty
CJ
Rak

My reply to another thread putting Grant at the 5: If he was still playing high school ball yes. But he needs 15-25 lbs of muscle before he can compete inside at the highest level. And while he would do in a pinch if both Rak and Baye fouled out, no way in hell do I want him there more than in emergency circumstances. So many people today are clamoring for any way to get him more minutes. From this to Dirty playing at the 2 so Grant can play more 3 or 4. I love the progress he has made this year and his future potential. But let's stop making him more than he is at this point in his career.

Without questions it is the best offensive we could put out on the floor, it just so happens that it would also be the worst defense that we could put on the floor. Everyone has seen Coleman try to play the 5 right? Jimmy rips his defense calling him our worst defensive center (pretty obvious), and now some people want to see Grant play the 5? It takes time to learn the center position in the zone. Kieta and Rak still get pulled for defensive lapses and they have been in the system for over 2 and 3 years respectively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom