Thoughts on JB Recruiting The future | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on JB Recruiting The future

kcsu

Living Legend
I hope JB stays for his last year. To go out like this just doesnt seem right. Actually the whole transition plan seems unnatural,forced if you will. The cloaked nature of it has hurt the program. In hindsight Jim should have retired after last year. Still regardless of how well we do next year JB should be our coach.
As to recruiting two things. First we need new blood on the staff. The herd is too in bred and it shows. Gmac needs to step it up and Hop needs to regain his energy. Lets hope that Hop adds a proven recruiter vs another former player after Jim goes. In my opinion this hire will make or break him. He has to hit a home run as our recruiting is beyond stale and needs some real juice.
The Future is fragile. I hate to say it but coming off a HOF coach and sanctions is difficult at best. St. Johns, Gtown, Indiana, Uconn and many other storied programs have struggled after significant coaching changes. Hop deserves his chance and he will be given three years. If he hires a world class recruiter he will make it. If not i have my doubts. Last point,Wildhack needs to provide any and all resources to this program. Number one on the list would be world class living quarters as i believe they are extremely important in todays arms race.

Fingers and toes crossed as we head into uncharted waters.

I hope JB stays for his last year. To go out like this just doesnt seem right. Actually the whole transition plan seems unnatural,forced if you will. The cloaked nature of it has hurt the program. In hindsight Jim should have retired after last year. Still regardless of how well we do next year JB should be our coach.
As to recruiting two things. First we need new blood on the staff. The herd is too in bred and it shows. Gmac needs to step it up and Hop needs to regain his energy. Lets hope that Hop adds a proven recruiter vs another former player after Jim goes. In my opinion this hire will make or break him. He has to hit a home run as our recruiting is beyond stale and needs some real juice.
The Future is fragile. I hate to say it but coming off a HOF coach and sanctions is difficult at best. St. Johns, Gtown, Indiana, Uconn and many other storied programs have struggled after significant coaching changes. Hop deserves his chance and he will be given three years. If he hires a world class recruiter he will make it. If not i have my doubts. Last point,Wildhack needs to provide any and all resources to this program. Number one on the list would be world class living quarters as i believe they are extremely important in todays arms race.

Fingers and toes crossed as we head into uncharted waters.
well thought out post

Why did the transition/Boeheim's retirement have to be so forced though? That's the question that always bugs me and I'm not sure it's even been answered. Why did JB agree to this retirement timeline? Were the infractions so bad that Sverud had to do something like this? Was it part of the deal with the NCAA?

First we need new blood on the staff. The herd is too in bred and it shows. Gmac needs to step it up and Hop needs to regain his energy. Lets hope that Hop adds a proven recruiter vs another former player after Jim goes. In my opinion this hire will make or break him. He has to hit a home run as our recruiting is beyond stale and needs some real juice.

I've always had mixed feelings about the Hopkins transition plan. On the one hand, it seems to make sense that you would want someone who understands the program and the philosophy inside and out, and hiring JB's long-time assistant SHOULD provide an element of stability that's often lacking during a coaching change.

On the other hand, Hop has ZERO head coaching experience, so he's basically an unknown quantity in terms of his ability to be the captain of his own ship. I almost wish he had been forced to go get some head coaching experience at some other school, and then come back like many other coaches do, after running successful programs of their own.

Why did the transition/Boeheim's retirement have to be so forced though? That's the question that always bugs me and I'm not sure it's even been answered. Why did JB agree to this retirement timeline? Were the infractions so bad that Sverud had to do something like this? Was it part of the deal with the NCAA?
It was the most logical scenario. Syracuse didn't want to fire there prized coach. Also Boeheim didn't want to hand the program over to Hopkins(His most loyal lieutenant) in the middle of sanctions. They wanted to give hopkins a clean slate and the best chance to succeed. It was the best scenario let Boeheim clean up his mess and go out without firing him. It also allows them to set up a sort of farewell tour for him next season. It will be a ton of publicity and attention for the program.

Since Hop is taking over after next year, just who is he recruiting? His players or JB's. Would JB try and force Hop to recruit his type of player even when he is not going to be there? If JB "only" recruits in the I95 corridor, is Hop allowed to expand his recruitment now in preparation of his being head coach? THE biggest problems any new coach has coming into a program is having to deal with the current roster and who has signed to come in and who has being recruited 2-3 years down the line. Having a HCIW should alleviate some of this but has it?