Thoughts on opening Champions League matches? | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on opening Champions League matches?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Let me start by saying the Real Madrid v. Manchester City game was a great, great game. How about Crybaby, I'm so Sad, Ronaldo with the winner in the final minute? Man City must be crushed that they didn't get a point out of that game, after twice taking the lead.

Arsenal also seems to have gotten past their early season inability to score without Van Persie and look like a much better side than they did at this time last year.

Chelsea have me concerned, with DiMatteo playing Lampard and Mikel too much in the double-pivot, when he ought to be working in Romeu, who is not shy of a solid tackle and distributes the ball better than Mikel out of the back.

While we're at it, Torres can't start every game this season as sole striker. You've got to get Sturridge some starts to keep Torres on his toes. He's a crybaby, and is too emotionally fragile to be your only striking option. I would like to see a 4-4-2 once in a while, partnering Torres and Sturridge up top so that it's not all on the one guy to score.

I didn't see any of the games today, unfortunately, but I agree that Sturridge needs more minutes. Torres started the season looking like he was regaining the form that brought him to Stamford Bridge, but Sturridge has really shown impressive playmaking ability in his limited minutes.

Ramires needs to get going, and it looks like Oscar needs to find some time on the pitch as well.

Let me start by saying the Real Madrid v. Manchester City game was a great, great game. How about Crybaby, I'm so Sad, Ronaldo with the winner in the final minute? Man City must be crushed that they didn't get a point out of that game, after twice taking the lead.

Arsenal also seems to have gotten past their early season inability to score without Van Persie and look like a much better side than they did at this time last year.

Chelsea have me concerned, with DiMatteo playing Lampard and Mikel too much in the double-pivot, when he ought to be working in Romeu, who is not shy of a solid tackle and distributes the ball better than Mikel out of the back.

While we're at it, Torres can't start every game this season as sole striker. You've got to get Sturridge some starts to keep Torres on his toes. He's a crybaby, and is too emotionally fragile to be your only striking option. I would like to see a 4-4-2 once in a while, partnering Torres and Sturridge up top so that it's not all on the one guy to score.
Chelsea and Juve should advance out of that group. Teams are still getting their sea legs at this point, particularly those with internationals that played in the Euro's. Advance in to the second round and bring your stars along gradually. It's a long season.

Feel pretty good about our opening performance against Valencia. Even without Gomez, our attack has been more deadly than last year and we've been running the table in the league as well. The Man City-RM game was obviously a great one, but I was shocked by Barca's struggles at home with Spartak (even if they pulled out a win). Should be fun to see how the group progresses. Have to say I'm pulling for Dortmund to steal a spot from one of City or RM, and they got a big win against Ajax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom