Three-and-one playoff | Syracusefan.com

Three-and-one playoff

A better model than any discussed would be top 5 conference champions, plus 3 at large, but no human polls to eliminate most of human bias. This would generate more money, and allow teams that might be outside big 6, but have a great year to play for a championship. But thats too logical for the conference's to realize. It would make the regular season relevant, but make the postseason must see for College football fans.

Sounds like a winning formula. The only missing component is how to fairly arrive at a teams starting point in the rankings.

I'd love to see algorithm where all teams start tied for first and then readjust based on W-L, Home vs Away, Margin of victory, SOS, etc. After a full season is played, it could provide the top 4 teams with or without taking conference champion status into account.

This would also encourage teams to play tougher opponents to make sure they beat them and finish ahead of them in the ratings instead of depending on human voters to jump them ahead of other teams based on their team name and conference affiliation.

A better model than any discussed would be top 5 conference champions, plus 3 at large, but no human polls to eliminate most of human bias. This would generate more money, and allow teams that might be outside big 6, but have a great year to play for a championship. But thats too logical for the conference's to realize. It would make the regular season relevant, but make the postseason must see for College football fans.
I would prefer this too. But if we are locked into a 4 team scenario, I like Mandel's suggestion.