Three guard lineup tonight? | Syracusefan.com

Three guard lineup tonight?

mark79

All Conference
St. John’s has a full court pressing defense that puts a lot of pressure on the opposing teams ball handling. Last year this would not have been good for us (understatement?). But with the ability to put Joe, Judah, Symir and Copeland out there in many different configurations, this “should” (air quotes) not be as big of an issue. Also St John’s does not take a ton of threes so our zone shouldn’t be as stretched.

On the negative side, they have a pretty big, strong physical center and they will definitely look to get Jesse in foul trouble. I’m also a bit worried that Judah might get a bit overheated because of the press tempo and take rushed shots. I’m looking for Symir and/or Copeland to play a bigger role than normal tonight as a third guard.

I doubt Copeland will play. The key tonight will be if we can handle their physicality. They also offensive rebound because they don’t shoot well. Let’s hope they settle for jump shots and not drive the ball. They are all big and strong. This is about the biggest contrast in styles that you will see.

Anderson coached at Arkansas back in 2012 when Southerland went for about 35 and we score around 95. Of course we had a lot more taken back then. Triche and MCW who loved to push the pace and we absolutely destroyed this defense. It’s easy to score against if you have good guards. Should be plenty of open shot opportunities for someone.

They played 8 last night and the 3 centers/forwards in the rotation all ended with 4 fouls. Between driving and posting Jesse, no reason that shouldn’t happen again.

Bennie logging that kind of minutes is preposterous, especially in the 2nd half at the expense of Brown.
Brown needs to get more minutes. 5 yesterday was just ridiculous. IMHO, minutes should come from both Benny and Bell as I seriously doubt there will be too many games when both of those guys are playing so well that neither one of them should get some pine time.

St. John’s has a full court pressing defense that puts a lot of pressure on the opposing teams ball handling. Last year this would not have been good for us (understatement?). But with the ability to put Joe, Judah, Symir and Copeland out there in many different configurations, this “should” (air quotes) not be as big of an issue. Also St John’s does not take a ton of threes so our zone shouldn’t be as stretched.

On the negative side, they have a pretty big, strong physical center and they will definitely look to get Jesse in foul trouble. I’m also a bit worried that Judah might get a bit overheated because of the press tempo and take rushed shots. I’m looking for Symir and/or Copeland to play a bigger role than normal tonight as a third guard.

Playing Symir would help to counter the pressure.

But we'd be at a huge disadvantage on the boards, if we play a 3 guard lineup.

The Symir, Joe, Judah lineup some suggested this preseason.

It ain't gonna happen. He's not getting out of zone.

The Symir, Joe, Judah lineup some suggested this preseason.

It ain't gonna happen. He's not getting out of zone.
If we need the ball handling vs the press he will. Hopefully Judah can handle it effectively. If he and Joe can, along with forward help, it could lead to easy fast breaks. If we can’t, I could see a third guard to help, if nothing but to help break the press. If we can’t break the pressure using our normal lineup adjustments need to be made.

Playing Symir would help to counter the pressure.

But we'd be at a huge disadvantage on the boards, if we play a 3 guard lineup.
Agreed. But boards don’t matter if we can’t get the ball up court. Hopefully we can and it’s a moot point.

If we need the ball handling vs the press he will. Hopefully Judah can handle it effectively. If he and Joe can, along with forward help, it could lead to easy fast breaks. If we can’t, I could see a third guard to help, if nothing but to help break the press. If we can’t break the pressure using our normal lineup adjustments need to be made.

I don't see any issues breaking press as compared to last year's mess.

I hope you’re right because if we can it should lead to quite a few easy (or easier!) baskets
I don't think these guys are taught to exploit the press. They seem pleased with just getting in to the half court set. I would love to see them get more aggressive with it.

I don't think these guys are taught to exploit the press. They seem pleased with just getting in to the half court set. I would love to see them get more aggressive with it.
Judah Mintz seems to be a pretty good finisher especially for a frosh. I’d like to see them push it right down St John’s throats. Still bitter from back in the Walter Berry Chris Mullin era…

Judah Mintz seems to be a pretty good finisher especially for a frosh. I’d like to see them push it right down St John’s throats. Still bitter from back in the Walter Berry Chris Mullin era…
Yeah, Judah against an unsettled defense should be good for us. I hope they don't settle for just getting across halfcourt.

Transition D is essential if you want to punish their press. Without it, it's a track meet which we don't want.

Would like to see the Orange quickly get Soriano in foul trouble.
Otherwise they may have some trouble.
6'11 and 260...a real handful.
Had 15 points/12 rebounds last night in 27 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom