Three guys with good games Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Three guys with good games Saturday

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Strickland - nice to see him load up some yardage and have a few go for decent gains

Byrne - good job coming in as the backup C. Seems to me like he played a strong game

Ellison - made some nifty tackles, plays bigger than his size, which we need

I felt Hudson did a nice job in coverage. At least on plays that were in front of me.

Most of Strickland's yardage came in the 1st Q. The 2nd and 3rd Q he was shut down, not necessarily his fault. IMO we ran it too much in the 3rd Q (11 planned rushes as a team), especially given the 2nd Q production and the fact that we were trailing.

1st Q 15 carries for 75 yards 5.0 ypc

2nd Q 9 carries for 33 yards 3.67 ypc even worse when ypu consider his first run was for 9 yards
3rd Q 6 carries for 19 yards 3.17 ypc
Total 15 carries 52 yards 3.47 ypc

Usually when a team has that many carries in the 1st Q and has a lot of TOP the D gets worn down. Surprised that we got worse running the ball as the game went on.

Most of Strickland's yardage came in the 1st Q. The 2nd and 3rd Q he was shut down, not necessarily his fault. IMO we ran it too much in the 3rd Q (11 planned rushes as a team), especially given the 2nd Q production and the fact that we were trailing.

2nd Q 9 carries for 33 yards 3.67 ypc even worse when ypu consider his first run was for 9 yards

Usually when a team has that many carries in the 1st Q and has a lot of TOP the D gets worn down. Surprised that we got worse running the ball as the game went on.

i think our OLine got wore down instead.

Still don't think Strickland is a very good running back. Virtually no yards after first contact, seems to not see many holes, has a difficult time reading blocks. Will he get better? Yeah, it's possible. I just don't know if he's suited to be a RB.

Still don't think Strickland is a very good running back. Virtually no yards after first contact, seems to not see many holes, has a difficult time reading blocks. Will he get better? Yeah, it's possible. I just don't know if he's suited to be a RB.

Most of his runs were after contact due to the size of the holes. I like Jordan better so far.

I don't think this offense runs on called runs. I think they run when the numbers are right. That's why it operates best when we have a lead. You then have the luxury of taking what they give you. USF was smartly giving us the run and not giving up chunk yardage on passes (what we needed most).

Strickland - nice to see him load up some yardage and have a few go for decent gains

Byrne - good job coming in as the backup C. Seems to me like he played a strong game

Ellison - made some nifty tackles, plays bigger than his size, which we need

Not to change the subject, but you don't drive a Jeep, do ya? My buddy is in Utah and sent me a pic of a jeep with some SU football stickers lol

Unfortunately it seemed like Rodney Williams struggled.

If you look at the bounce outside plays, always seemed like #4 and #6 were late to the party. Middle linebacker and free safety have to be more productive to stop the bleeding.

i think our OLine got wore down instead.
i don't think there's any end in sight for that. i don't know enough about babers teams in year 1 to know if that's just something we're going to have to live with

Not to change the subject, but you don't drive a Jeep, do ya? My buddy is in Utah and sent me a pic of a jeep with some SU football stickers lol
I've always wanted a Jeep, but I do not drive one. I do have a Syracuse license plate cover on my car though.

He is a true sophomore playing the position for the first time, so there's that.

Speaking of players:

What happened to Hodge, Scissum, Parris, Perkins, AC, and Avant. Are they all hurt or out to pasture?

I know Morgan, Custis, and Morris have been hurt/out.

Looks like Womack is RShirting.

Speaking of players:

What happened to Hodge, Scissum, Parris, Perkins, AC, and Avant. Are they all hurt or out to pasture?

Womack hasn't been dressed all season.

I wondered about Perkins myself. Is he just positionless?

Parris is weird. How can you go to from starter to not on the 2 deep?

Not sure Avant fits any of the WR roles in this system.

I have given up on AC. When he plays he shows potential but he never gets on the field so there must be a reason, hands?

Hodge hasn't shown anything since his freshman year.

Scissum isn't good enough IMO.

Speaking of players:

Hodge was losing his starting spot last year. He's a 5-10 LB. Not suited for this scheme in the slightest.

Perkins is likely a redshirt candidate, or a candidate to transfer. Don't know if he fits the offensive scheme either.

Avant & Cornelius, the other options are better. Scissum not sure, could be hurt. Parris is a tweener and is not better than Moore/McPherson. Rarely will you see a 3rd TE get much time in this system.

Going to be a lot of roster transition I feel like (speculation only, no inside knowledge). Which could be a good thing to flip things quicker. Wish everyone nothing but the best.

Speaking of players:

I think Morgan played against USF.

Womack hasn't been dressed all season.

I wondered about Perkins myself. Is he just positionless?

Parris is weird. How can you go to from starter to not on the 2 deep?

Not sure Avant fits any of the WR roles in this system.

I have given up on AC. When he plays he shows potential but he never gets on the field so there must be a reason, hands?

Hodge hasn't shown anything since his freshman year.

Scissum isn't good enough IMO.

Unfortunately I agree about AC. I predicted him as my break out player his SO and JR year and it just hasn't happened. I kept my mouth shut about it this year hoping it would give him better luck and it just hasn't happened.

Unfortunately I agree about AC. I predicted him as my break out player his SO and JR year and it just hasn't happened. I kept my mouth shut about it this year hoping it would give him better luck and it just hasn't happened.

Everyone has a favorite season. It would appear that his is Spring.

I believe Perkins played on specials. Kenterious so far looks like he's redshirting. I'm taking this to mean he might have some promise the coaches want to mold.

I know in the past these have been wildly inconsistent but I think they've been accurate so far this season:

participation report vs South Florida

10 Sterling Hofrichter
12 Andrew Armstrong
13 Devin Butler
16 Zack Mahoney
18 Scoop Bradshaw
1J Carl Jones
21 Moe Neal
22 Jordan Fredericks
24 Shyheim Cullen
26 Tyrone Perkins
28 Christopher Fredrick
29 Otto Zaccardo
2M Wayne Morgan
2R Sean Riley
2S Chauncey Scissum
31 Kyle Kleinberg
33 Marqez Hodge
37 Ted Taylor
39 Troy Henderson
41 Eric Anthony
47 Matt Keller
48 Cole Murphy
63 Evan Adams
67 Michael Lasker
76 Keaton Darney
79 Anthony Giudice
7D Andrejas Duerig
83 Sean Avant
85 Josh Black
86 Adly Enoicy
87 Kendall Moore
90 Cameron MacPherson
93 De'Jon Wilson
98 McKinley Williams
99 Jake Pickard

I thought Scissum was recovering from an injury. He's one of the few returning secondary players we have with ideal size for this new defensive scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom