Three SU players on All Big East Preseason 2nd team | Syracusefan.com

Three SU players on All Big East Preseason 2nd team

Rutgers is ranked a little bit too high. No higher than 16 in my view.

Peyton Siva
Sean Kilpatrick
Vincent Council
Jack Cooley
Otto Porter

if the over/under on the number of those guys who also make the post-season first team is 2.5, I would bet heavy on the under

No love for DC2 as ROY? Not one vote.

That 7 footer from Pitt must have some game. These didn't seem like ignorant voters, they know about MCW and have him on the second team. Yet, they haven't swayed me, given the choice I would take DC2 over some foreign dude.

That 7 footer from Pitt must have some game. These didn't seem like ignorant voters, they know about MCW and have him on the second team. Yet, they haven't swayed me, given the choice I would take DC2 over some foreign dude.
FD is a very good player

Adams beat up on Tarczewski and Coleman at Adidas nations in the past from what I remember. Kid is a tremendous athlete for a kid over 7ft. I know Coleman is listed at 6'9 but Adams looked a good 4 inches taller in the footage from nations. I was surprised with Adams ability at both ends. Certainly can see why he garnered all those votes.

Adams beat up on Tarczewski and Coleman at Adidas nations in the past from what I remember. Kid is a tremendous athlete for a kid over 7ft. I know Coleman is listed at 6'9 but Adams looked a good 4 inches taller in the footage from nations. I was surprised with Adams ability at both ends. Certainly can see why he garnered all those votes.

I believe Noel said he was the best player he has ever faced when they were at Hoops Summit.

Adams is 6'10 not 7'2. Maybe he was playing in high heels?

Jack Cooley is a first team preseason selection. Seriously. If anyone(Mike Aresco?) ever wonders if the Big East is on a downward trend, bring that up. No knock on the kid, but with his skill set, he should be an Honorable Mention type in a great conference.

I would go with Siva, Porter, Cleveland Melvin, MCW and Dieng as my best guess for who the postseason team is. I’ll be shocked if MCW doesn’t make the postseason team and if they offered odds on it, I think he’d be a great value for BEPOY. Otto Porter is ready for a huge season too, so he’ll be in the mix.

Let’s be honest, preseason freshman of the year is synonymous with ‘highest rated recruit to enter the conference’. I have no problem with the Adams pick. That kid can play.

To me, the conference as a whole drops off a cliff after us and Louisville and is filled with a bunch of flawed teams down until about 13, where the bottom three of Providence(Ledo/Dunn are huge losses), Depaul(you have to stop people in this league), SHU(no point guard, questionable overall talent level) resides. So this group here is very interchangeable to me and I expect they will be tightly bunched for a lot of the season:

3. Notre Dame 49
4. Cincinnati 63
5. Pittsburgh 78
6. Georgetown 97
7. Marquette 109
8. South Florida 123
9. Connecticut 159
10. St. John's 163
11. Rutgers 167
12. Villanova 171

Of that group, I’d say Pitt has the best chance to jump up. I just don’t count out Jamie Dixon, they’re tough at home and something as stupid as winning the CBI can be good for teams the next season and proves to me that Jamie didn’t lose the team.

-SJU could be a little spicy but there’s so many newcomers and young players that it’s tough to say without seeing them play. I’ll put a ‘hold’ rating on them for now but could be ready to buy shortly, especially if Jakarr Sampson ends up being the real deal.

-Marquette is always tough but how can you possibly replace Crowder and DJO? Those kids were so good inside and out and brought such a toughness, that’s just a tall order to replace. If Buzz can do it, he’s on my short list for BECOY.

-Rutgers could be okay but that team just seemed so disjointed and I wonder if their laughably ranked, quantity based class has already tuned Mike Rice out in November of their sophomore years. With Biruta gone, they seem to be very reliant on Jack and Wally Judge, which seems like a major problem to me as they aren’t the most consistent guys. I think we’ll know early with them because they schedule like their football team(pillow soft), if those games are competitive, they’re in trouble, and this thing could spiral in league play.

-I think Georgetown will resemble WVU from last year with Otto Porter playing the role of Kevin Jones, compiling a lot of stats on a team that can beat any good team, but usually doesn’t. Their rotation has some good players but also has liabilities that good teams/coaches are going to exploit.

(SNIP) -Rutgers could be okay but that team just seemed so disjointed and I wonder if their laughably ranked, quantity based class has already tuned Mike Rice out in November of their sophomore years. With Biruta gone, they seem to be very reliant on Jack and Wally Judge, which seems like a major problem to me as they aren’t the most consistent guys. I think we’ll know early with them because they schedule like their football team(pillow soft), if those games are competitive, they’re in trouble, and this thing could spiral in league play.
(SNIP)
I thought this was a very good analysis, even though I don't entirely agree with it. The one point where I strongly disagree is above. Maybe I'm deluded by my regard for Mike Rice, but I think Rutgers is on an upward path and will do well this year. Also, minor point, their freshman class last year was legit, not quantity-based. It was St. Johns that had the quantity-based ranking.

If Otto Porter makes first team, I will eat my hat.

ps - I don't care that Rothstein said he was Kevin Durant with a better jump shot, longer arms and brighter smile.

Yeah, he probably is closer to 6'10/6'11 even though Pitt website says 7'0.

Adams is legit 7 footer without a doubt. Kid is huge. Like I said, he's 4 inches taller than Coleman easily, and I don't think Coleman is 6'6", but closer to 6'8".

Given his limited PT thus far in his collegiate career, does anyone else find it incredible that MCW was voted 2nd team all-BE? Has something like this ever happened before?

A lot of these writers have seen Steve Adams play. He was at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass. last winter, and he's got exceptional skills for a big man. People are already talking about Adams being a top-five lottery pick in next year's NBA draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom