Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

News

-e4bf9d4e11098014.JPG

Donnie Simmons (51)

Five Things to Know About the 2014 Spring Game (PS; Mink)

...1. Scott Shafer will be mic'd up
The second-year head coach will wear a wireless microphone throughout the day to provide insight about what is happening on the field.

2. Catch it on TV
The game will be televised live by Time Warner Cable Sports.

3. Free hot dog and soda voucher ...
While supplies last.

4. Field goal kicking contest for free season tickets
One fan will be selected to attempt and make a field goal to win a pair of 2014 football season tickets. No word on the distance.

5. Autograph session to follow
After the game there will be a 30-minute autograph session with the team. Inflatable games will be available for kids to enjoy as well.

-847f475519a5eca0.JPG

Wayne Williams

What Exactly is the Black Padding on the SU Football Player Helmets? (PS; Mink)

You may have seen the pictures. Black padding that kind of resembles a turtle shell swallows the orange on the Syracuse football helmet during spring practice.

Every player, from linemen to kickers, has been wearing the protective headgear for the last week or so. They're called Guardian Caps, designed by a materials engineering company in Atlanta which also produces materials for impact for the military, soft playgrounds and assistant living homes.

By wearing the Guardian Caps, Syracuse hopes to reduce the risk of head injuries. Tests have shown the lightweight, soft-shell helmet cover reduces impact by up to 33 percent. The company notes researchers do not agree how the results of impact tests relate to concussions, nor should any conclusions be drawn about a reduction of risk or severity of concussive injury...

ncf_i_terrelhunt_ms_600x600.jpg

Q&A with Syracuse QB Terrel Hunt (ESPN.com; Hale)

After a rocky start to the 2013 season, Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt wrapped up his first year as the starter with come-from-behind wins against Boston College and Minnesota. Now, he’s trying to carry that momentum into the spring, despite coach Scott Shafer’s reluctance to officially tab Hunt as the starter once again. We caught up with Hunt to see how spring football is going.

Q: With a year of playing time under your belt, how much better do you feel this spring than you did last season?

A: I feel a lot better. I was more confident going into it. I’m trying to take full command of the offense. I want everything to just work perfectly. It’s not going to be perfect, but you try.

Q: Coach Shafer hasn’t officially named you the starter, despite how you performed down the stretch last season. Has that had an effect on how you’ve approached this spring?

A: It definitely doesn’t hurt me. That’s his way of letting me know that nothing is ever given. You have to earn everything. Even if you had a great season, an OK season, whatever it was last year, you still have to come in and fight. You just have to be ready to come in and compete and not be laid back. I actually like that he said that...

Videos

SU Spring Practice Highlights (PS; Axe)

Scott Shafer Provides an Update on Spring Practice (PS; Axe)

Recruiting

2485992_0239330588c74332bd4c045fbaf1dc46.jpg

SU Adds Punter/Kicker Evan Jakubowski to 2014 Class (PS; Mink)

...Jakubowski is a 2014 recruit who can start practicing with the team in August. The 6-foot, 175-pounder from Wheaton, Ill., also plays baseball for Wheaton-Warrenville South High School.

Syracuse is carrying one full-time punter on the roster this spring in Riley Dixon. Head coach Scott Shafer said last week the team would add another punter before training camp in August.

It appears he found his guy.

Evan is a preferred walk-on who fills the backup punter role left vacant when Jonathan Fisher left the team after the 2013 season.

Other

Star Frosh O'Hara Wins Game 1, Saves Game 2 as SU Sweeps SUNY Bingo in Softball (DO; Schwedelson)

Bases loaded, two outs.

Runners on first and third, no outs.

Twice freshman pitcher Sydney O’Hara found herself in a jam during Syracuse’s doubleheader against Binghamton on Wednesday, and twice O’Hara escaped.

She threw a complete-game shutout in game one as Syracuse (15-18, 6-7 Atlantic Coast) beat Binghamton (12-14, 3-2 America East) 8-0 in a five-inning game, shortened due to the mercy rule. Then the Orange ace threw three frames of relief to help SU hang on for a 9-6 win in game two. The Syracuse offense provided plenty of run support, and on both occasions it was O’Hara’s pitching that protected its leads.

O’Hara threw a total of eight innings, allowing just three hits and striking out eight on the day.

“Syd did great,” SU head coach Leigh Ross. “She threw well first game and then to have her, knowing that we have her kind of waiting.”

O’Hara cruised through the first four innings of game one as Binghamton was only able to get one hit. In the fifth, she ran into self-inflicted trouble by walking the leadoff batter, allowing a single and hitting a batter to load the bases with two outs.

But O’Hara stayed composed and was able to get the final out of the inning by inducing a pop fly. Catcher Nicole Lundstrom said O’Hara’s ability to keep her concentration helped her get out of the inning...

Chitkowski, Dewes Lead SU to Doubleheader Sweep of Binghamton (DO; Schneidman)

Heading into Syracuse’s doubleheader against Binghamton, Alyssa Dewes and Danielle Chitkowski had a combined four home runs on the season.

Then, they matched that total in one day, each hitting two bombs to go along with a combined 10 RBIs.

Syracuse (15-18, 6-7 Atlantic Coast) swept Binghamton (12-14, 3-2 America East) at SU Softball Stadium on Wednesday, winning the first game 8-0 by way of mercy rule, and the second 9-6.

The entire Syracuse offense was clicking, but its bottom three hitters — the freshman Dewes, sophomore Chitkowski and junior Mary Dombrowski — went a combined 9-for-15 on the day, scoring 10 total runs.

“When your seven, eight, nine help out and contribute, that just helps and takes a load off of everybody else,” SU head coach Leigh Ross said. “Today was big for the bottom of the order.”

In the first game, Dewes hit a two-out, three-run home run over the right-field fence to give Syracuse a 3-0 lead in the second inning.

It was the freshman’s second round-tripper on the season, and first since her go-ahead homer against Campbell on March 12.

“It was obviously really cold out, so I was just trying to stay focused on the pitcher,” Dewes said. “I was just going up there and hitting and not worrying about mechanics so much.”...

Adonis Ameen-Moore, the F-150 in the Syracuse football backfield, just wants to 'help this team' (PS: Mink)

Syracuse, N.Y. — It seems like every day there is a new nickname for running back Adonis-Ameen Moore. He's been called "little bus" since high school. Lately teammates have dubbed him "F-150," like the Ford truck. And then there's the name offensive graduate assistant BJ Coad gave him, translated to mean "Nigerian nightmare."

"They all mess with me," said Ameen-Moore, the 5-foot-11, 240-pound wrecking ball for the Syracuse University football team.

Syracuse football will roll itself out on Easter Weekend (and pray heaven isn't paying attention) (PS; Poliquin)

Syracuse, N.Y. — They're a godless bunch up there in the football wing at Syracuse University. Atheists, every one. Pagans. Have to be.

And they've likely inspired Billy Graham, who has the hereafter on speed dial, to scratch his haloed head.
He is, remember, the fellow who once said: "More than being concerned with who is going to win the Super Bowl, I feel the Lord is probably more concerned that they might find a day other than Sunday to play it on."

Which makes one wonder what Billy — or, for that matter, God — thinks of the Orange's intention to roll itself out in pads, helmets and eye-black for its annual spring game in the Carrier Dome . . . on Easter Weekend...

Last edited:
Good Lord! That had to be the DUMBEST article ever written by Bud--and that says a lot! Like LBJ once said about Jerry Ford: "Too many games without a helmet."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom