Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery and the strain of hosting the beautiful people in his hospital room. Get well soon Dan.

News

BUpMGKKCMAAKCtH.jpg

Bgy6zv9IQAAQ6cv.jpg

SU Recruit Frank Howard Thinks He is an Natural Scorer (PS; Ditota)

From what everybody's told me, you're a combo guard, but for the past year or two, you've concentrated on the point guard position. I'm assuming Syracuse recruited you primarily as a point guard? How do your skills translate there?

"Yeah, definitely. In the past, I've been kind of a pass-first guy. But I think I'm a natural scorer. I think I do a good job of facilitating for my team. And I think I'm a good decision-maker and a good leader on the floor. And those are big parts of being a point guard. So that would be an easy transition for me."

You've mentioned that you thought your game resembled that of Penny Hardaway's. In what sense?
"He's a big point guard. Very versatile. Can really score the ball. I see a lot of myself in him."

SU Recuit Chris McCullough: SU Basketball Fans Will See a Lot of Dunks (sujuiceonline.com; Cheng)

Syracuse commit Chris McCullough will play for the West Team in the 2014 Jordan Brand Classic on Friday at 7 p.m. at the Barclay’s Center. We caught up with McCullough at Wednesday’s media session and talked about his upcoming season at Syracuse. Here’s what he had to say:

The Juice Online: What’s your experience been like at the Jordan Brand Classic so far?

Chris McCullough: Last game of my high school career. All American game. It’s good to get out here and play all of my friends that I played back in the day.

TJO: Now that Jerami [Grant] is leaving, you’re in for a bigger role next season.

CM: I’ve got a big role to play, and I have big shoes to fill, especially with CJ [Fair] and Jerami leaving. We have a little bit of a disadvantage, but hopefully we’ll be ready by next year.

TJO: What is the biggest improvement you think you’ll need to make at the next level?

CM: More strength. I need to improve my overall game and become a better overall player.

TJO: What are Syracuse fans going to see from you?

CM: Hopefully they’ll see everything. Dunks. I’m working on my post game, mid-range, 3-pointers, dribbling the ball. You’re going to see a lot of everything...

Tyler Ennis Signs with an Agent (PS; Waters)

Tyler Ennis, the Syracuse University freshman who announced two weeks ago that he would enter the NBA draft, has apparently signed with an agent.

Ennis will be represented by Mike George of Excel Sports Management. George's name is listed as Ennis' agent on DraftExpress.com. Ennis and his father, Tony McIntyre, could not be reached for comment...

ACC News

13906143-mmmain.jpg

James Michael McAddo, 2nd Team All ACC

UNC Wrap: Tar Heels Did Well Despite Off Season Tumult (PS; Stevens)

Record: 24-10 (13-5 ACC)

Last seen: Losing to Iowa State in one of the NCAA tournament's most entertaining contests, a round of 32 game in San Antonio. Two nights earlier, the Tar Heels had survived Bryce Cotton and Providence to secure their 12th consecutive tournament opener.

What went right: This discussion might not end with Marcus Paige, but it certainly begins with him. The Tar Heels would have been in serious trouble without the cerebral sophomore, who was their top ballhandler, best 3-point shooter, one of their few capable foul shooters and the driving force behind a 12-game winning streak that followed a 1-4 start in league play.

The reinstatement of Leslie McDonald after nine games provided an extra outside shooting threat and created better spacing. James Michael McAdoo was solid enough as a junior, and the likes of Brice Johnson and J.P. Tokoto made obvious strides as sophomores.

What went wrong: If the NCAA ever published its Ten Commandments for eligibility, there's a decent chance "Thou shalt not drive a car under the name of a convicted felon who calls himself Fats" would make its way in there. The P.J. Hairston saga, which culminated in December with North Carolina opting not to pursue any appeals to get him reinstated, could have fully defined the Tar Heels' season.

Thanks to Paige, it didn't, but it definitely had an impact. Roy Williams had to coach a very different team (with substantially different strengths and weaknesses) than he expected without Hairston. In addition, the Tar Heels were a dreadful foul shooting team, and that issue surfaced time and again...

14129967-mmmain.jpg

Jamie Dixon's Hair Also Slumped Badly in the Second Half of the Season

Pitt Season Wrap: Another First Weekend Exit for the Panthers (PS; Stevens)

Record: 26-10 (11-7 ACC)

Last seen: Getting ousted in the NCAA tournament's round of 32. The loss to Florida marked the fourth consecutive NCAA appearance in which the Panthers didn't make it out of the first weekend.

What went right: Lamar Patterson had an exceptionally stout senior season, making a massive leap in his final year and emerging as one of the ACC's most reliable players. Talib Zanna was the post presence everyone expected he would be and was one of the league's best rebounders .

While Pittsburgh didn't amass much quality on its postseason resume, it rolled up plenty of quantity. If ever there was a team rightfully ticketed for an 8/9 game in the NCAA tournament, this was it — too good to give consideration to leaving it out, but not accomplished enough to warrant a less arduous placement.

What went wrong: For a while, the Panthers were a little unlucky, absorbing buzzer-beater losses at home against Virginia (Malcolm Brogdon) and Syracuse (Tyler Ennis). But the strangest part about Pittsburgh's first season in the ACC was their 4-5 record at home in the league, a figure made more baffling by the Panthers' long-standing dominance at the Pete.

Pittsburgh was just 8-8 after Jan. 25, with four of the victories coming in overtime. In the second half of the season, the Panthers were exposed as a good but vulnerable team as opposed to one that would always impose their will on opponents. Durand Johnson's season-ending ACL tear in mid-January didn't perfectly coincide with the start of the slide, but his absence surely hurt...

Former Players

WEBcavs4.jpg

Dion Waiters Finishing His Season Strong

Cavs Players Confident Irving and Waiters Can Co-Exist (medinagazatte; Noland)

“They’ve got to be willing to work together, even if it’s watching tapes together, watching with a coach,” Deng said Tuesday at Cleveland Clinic Courts. “We’ve shown they could play together. There’s times where we’ve looked great.”

There have also been times when Irving and Waiters have appeared to be taking turns with the basketball, rather than playing off one another and making each other — and their teammates — better.