Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

14762067-large.jpg

Malachi Richardson: SU's Class of 2015 Can Makes Shots, Attack Rim (PS; Ditota)

Malachi Richardson drew crowds here last Saturday.

People snapped his photo, commented on his game. The Team Final Class of 2015 guard has committed to play basketball at Syracuse University. His reputation as a shooter and scorer preceded him during a series of day-long AAU scrimmage games at Life Center Academy.

Summary
Richardson is a big guard whose decisive first step allows him to glide into the lane past defenders and get to the rim. Renowned for his shooting stroke, he struggled to sink perimeter shots in the first scrimmage, but showed an aptitude for scoring in both games.

Observations from last Saturday
  • Richardson has terrific size for a shooting guard. He said he's grown from about 6-foot-2 his freshman year in high school to about 6-foot-6 now. He weighs 190, which seems substantial for a high school junior...

Summary of How Tyler Lydon/Malachi Richardson Played at Life Center Academy Scrimmages (cityofbasketballlove.com; Simon)
Tyler Lydon (2015/New Hampton/Albany City Rocks)
One of two future Syracuse players who impressed on Saturday, Lydon is the very definition of a combo forward. He’s 6-9 and skilled, scoring plenty both from outside the perimeter and around the rim. His biggest strength is his shooting ability, which will allow Jim Boeheim to use him as the ’3′ as a member of the Orange, but he’s got a few solid post moves as well and can finish around the bucket with both hands. Definitely needs to get stronger as he prepares to begin his college career 12 months from now, but knockdown shooters his size is hard to come by.

Malachi Richardson (2015/Trenton Catholic/Team Final)
The Syracuse commit was looking to score everytime he touched the basketball on Saturday. The 6-6 guard has a high release point and one of the prettiest looking jump shots in all of high school basketball. Not only is he an excellent shooter he has unlimited range on it as well. Right now he has a tendency to look for his shot too much and will need to work on keeping his teammates involved at the next level. The most improved area of his game so far is being able to take his man off the dribble in the half court. I know Syracuse plays a lot of zone so Richardson’s length and size is going to be very helpful on top of the zone and rebounding on the defensive end. Look for him to make an immediate impact freshman year for Syracuse.

-6c2b2ae47d1f6f72.jpg

Syracuse Carleton Exhibition Game Looking More Likely (PS; Ditota)

The Carleton Ravens, who took Syracuse to overtime when the Orange toured Canada last summer, are hoping to solidify an exhibition basketball game in the Carrier Dome next fall.

Dave Smart, the Carleton coach, said by telephone today that a date had tentatively been set for early November. SU's director of men's basketball operations Kip Wellman said nothing official has been determined, but that the Orange staff has had conversations with Carleton.

"Jim (Boeheim) and I talked about it and he said he'd love to put something together," Smart said. "We played them in the summer last year and they were kind enough to invite us for an exhibition."

20130405_ajl_sd2_038.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Twitter Chat with Mike Hopkins Scheduled for 6 PM Thursday Night (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Last year, TNIAAM had the pleasure of hosting a Twitter chat with Syracuse Orange assistant coach Mike Hopkins. We learned about his affinity for Pearl Jam, his excitement about joining the ACC and his lifelong dream of becoming an MMA fighter.

We had such a good time we thought we'd do it again.

And so, at 6:00 p.m. ET tomorrow, April 24, we'll be asking Coach Hop all sorts of questions about the state of the program, what he expects to see in 2014-2015 and find out a little bit more about He Who Would Be King.

But, we're gonna need your help. In the comments section, leave some questions you'd like to ask Coach Hop and we'll pick out the best ones to ask him. He seems pretty much for anything so if there's something you want to know about former or current players, what it's like to work with Jim Boeheim or what the future holds for him and the Orange, let'r rip.

Then, meet us on Twitter tomorrow, make sure you're following Coach Hop (as if you aren't already) and enjoy the interview. We'll post highlights here on Friday.

Other

14754968-mmmain.jpg

Kevin Durant and LeBron James

NCAA Tournament or NBA Playoffs? (PS; Poliquin)

Would you rather see a community theater production or a Broadway show? Watch an Elvis impersonator or Elvis, himself? Catch the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders or the New York Yankees?

How about the Hilton vs. Motel 6? "Joanie Loves Chachi" vs. "Game of Thrones"? A burger joint vs. Lemon Grass?

Despite Life's Unpredictability, Change Rarely Occur on SU Campus (DO; DeBaise)

My second prediction is that the Syracuse men’s basketball team will get a few great recruits, do really, really well during the regular season and then lose shamefully in the Big Dance. I don’t know what it is that makes me think this — it’s almost like I’ve seen it happen before. Maybe in a dream.

Also, it will never, ever win a game comfortably. It never made me breathe easily while I was an undergrad, and I’ll be damned if they stop causing heart attacks amongst the student body the year after I leave. Prepare for high blood pressure and hoarse throats the days after all the big match-ups.

I imagine that Syracuse Football will play aggressively mediocre ball and then we will all be relieved and excited when we hear they are bowl-eligible. Spoiler alert! It’s going to be the Pinstripe Bowl...

Pining for Syracuse Hoops (wgy.com; Wegman)

I miss Cuse basketball. I know it’s only been a month since SU bowed out of the NCAA Tournament, but I’m already feeling the void.

Knowing I’ll never see Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant, or C.J. Fair in Syracuse orange again certainly doesn’t help. (Sorry Baye, I won’t really miss your flailing limbs and stone hands)

The uncertainty surrounding Mike Hopkins (and the threat of losing his analytical mind) has also made matters worse.

I am excited about incoming studs Chris McCullough and Kaleb Joseph, although McCullough’s limited involvement in the Jordan Brand Classic was pretty disappointing...

Last edited: