Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

Vegas Says SU 33-1 To Win 2014-15 National Championship in Men's Hoops (PS; Poliquin)

As it's never too early in Orange Nation to ponder the next Syracuse University basketball season, I present these odds (as determined by the good folks at Bovada) for your perusal. You will note that Jim Boeheim's outfit, even without those celebrated defectors, Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant, has not been entirely forgotten.

Odds to win the 2014-15 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
Kentucky: 5-1
Duke: 9-1
Wisconsin: 12-1
Kansas: 14-1
Arizona: 16-1
Florida: 16-1
North Carolina: 16-1
Louisville: 25-1
Michigan State: 25-1
Villanova: 25-1
Wichita State: 28-1
Syracuse: 33-1
Iowa State: 33-1
Michigan: 33-1
Southern Methodist: 33-1
Texas: 33-1
Virginia: 33-1
Gonzaga: 40-1
Oklahoma: 40-1
Virginia Commonwealth: 40-1
Ohio State: 50-1
Oregon: 50-1
UCLA: 50-1
Connecticut: 66-1
Iowa: 66-1
Miami (Fla.): 66-1
Nebraska: 66-1
San Diego State: 66-1
Baylor: 75-1
Colorado: 75-1
Arizona State: 100-1
Arkansas: 100-1
Cincinnati: 100-1
Dayton: 100-1
Florida State: 100-1
Georgetown: 100-1
Georgia: 100-1
Harvard: 100-1
Indiana: 100-1
Kansas State: 100-1
Louisiana State: 100-1
Marquette: 100-1
Maryland: 100-1
Memphis: 100-1
Minnesota: 100-1
Missouri: 100-1
Nevada-Las Vegas: 100-1
Oklahoma State: 100-1
Pittsburgh: 100-1
Saint Louis: 100-1
Seton Hall: 100-1
Stanford: 100-1
Tennessee: 100-1

hi-res-f5de798d1b75c23f2bdeaa251fb0cc74_crop_north.jpg

Tyler Roberson Needs to Step Up

Slideshow: Strengths and Weaknesses of SU's 2014-15 Roster (BR; Neuman)

Over the summer, the Syracuse basketball team will undergo quite the face-lift.

Jim Boeheim will be running out an almost completely new cast of characters. Tyler Ennis, C.J. Fair, Baye Moussa Keita andJerami Grant all have left, creating plenty of opportunity for young players to earn playing time.

We don't yet know how the rotation will shake out, but we know there will be at least 10 players vying for floor time. Many of them are returning players, with only two freshman in this year's class. But bothChris McCullough and Kaleb Joseph are highly rated recruits, per 247Sports, so it's safe to assume they will have an impact...

Waters Series Ranking Last 26 SU Teams

120904-sufile12dnjpg-c42588758c809e06_large.jpg

Demetris Nichols: Hard to Spell and Hard to Stop

#21 2006-07 Season: The Year of the Infamous Snub (PS; Waters)

NO. 21: 2006-07 TEAM

Overall record: 24-11
Big East record (finish): 10-6 (tie-5th in Big East)
Postseason: Lost to Clemson in NIT quarterfinals

Best player: Demetris Nichols

Demetris Nichols led Syracuse with 18.9 points per game as a senior in 2006-07. Nichols reached double-digits in 32 of SU's 35 games. He finished his college career with 1,344 points.

Unsung hero: Paul Harris

Harris came to Syracuse with a lot of hype. Then he promptly found himself relegated to a bench role. But despite starting just one game as a freshman, Harris still averaged 8.6 points and 7.1 rebounds per game. He had seven double-doubles on the season and was named to the Big East's All-Rookie team.

Most memorable game: San Diego State

This was the year of the NCAA's infamous snub. Syracuse had a 22-10 overall record and went 10-6 in the Big East Conference during the regular season, but the NCAA's selection committee left Syracuse out of the tournament field.

The Syracuse fans made their feelings toward the NCAA known by turning out 26,752 strong for Syracuse's game against San Diego State in the second round of the NIT.

There were anti-NCAA signs everywhere and, of course, there were T-shirts marking the occasion. It was the largest crowd in the 70-year history of the NIT. Syracuse won the game 80-64.

Other

brittney-sykes-with-bracejpg-e26857fc8c0b8fee.jpg

Brittney Sykes

SU Women's Hoops Star Brittney Sykes on ACL Recovery: 'Stay Strong, Stop Being Impatent' (PS; Ditota)

Where's your head at this point?

"I think it's just more of impatience. I'm a busybody, so to be held back it gets a little frustrating. And that happens with any athlete that gets held back from playing a sport they love. I just talk to people who've been through this, talk to my mom, the support group that I have. If there's one second when I start to get sad I'll just call my mom and she'll just tell me, 'Stay strong, stop being impatient.'"

Are you antsy to get out there and play?

"My team played pick-up and I'd do the clock and the music and just enjoy watching them play. It has allowed me to — I don't know how to put this — not be selfish and still be with my team and enjoy their company. Me and Dajuan (Coleman) are always in the training room together. When I was in the training room working to get to surgery, it gave me inspiration to just work as hard as him. He's really strong. And I admire his grind and how he's coming back. I enjoy being in there with him and working out."

I'm guessing the whole rehab process can get kind of lonely?

"No, Miss Karen (McKinney) and Brad (Pike) keep me company. And you have some lacrosse players who trickle in there. I've made a lot of new friends since being in the training room. (She laughs.) I'm like, 'Hey, what's up? How's the knee? How's the ankle?'"

Outgoing DO Sports Editor Stephen Bailey Reflects on His Time at the DO (DO; Bailey)

Bleary-eyed and filled with near-comical dread, I stepped out the doors of 744 Ostrom Avenue at 4 a.m. on Jan. 29 and threw my duffle bag and backpack into a cab.

We were midway through a stretch of working 16-of-21 nights — the most daunting I can remember — and I would be covering the Syracuse-Wake Forest men’s basketball game in Winston-Salem, N.C. at 9 p.m. that night.

I was exhausted.

On my way to the airport, the cab driver and I got talking about Syracuse basketball, and when he learned that I covered the team, he picked my brain on players and matchups...

Paul Harris was a victim of too much hype. Solid player but the "experts" that rated him were quite wrong.

Paul Harris was a victim of too much hype. Solid player but the "experts" that rated him were quite wrong.

With his size, speed and physique, he should have been a tight end.

SmilinBob said:

Many of those experts were SU fans.

Many of those experts were SU fans.

True...poor kid really never got a fair shake imo. I really think most of that credit does go to the experts and the fans went from there. Ironically if Flynn and Harris switched expectations things would have turned out fine in that regard.

SmilinBob said:
True...poor kid really never got a fair shake imo. I really think most of that credit does go to the experts and the fans went from there. Ironically if Flynn and Harris switched expectations things would have turned out fine in that regard.

I remember all those Chuck Norris threads.

SmilinBob said:
That was before I joined...what were they?

There were literally dozens of threads using chuck Norris scenarios in describing Harris. Most were funny but it certainly set expectations of Harris off the charts.

LOL I remember those. That was a fun time. The Chuck Norris threads did not set the expectations though, they were in response to the expectations. I remember it as almost a satire of the expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom