Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

fans-at-nova-gamejpg-5c90d0b808f29610.jpg

How Syracuse Creates Its Schedule: RPI, Home Dates and Paying Opponents Part of Puzzle (PS; Ditota)

Syracuse basketball fans want their team to play Georgetown. Every year. Preferably in Syracuse, except for the fans who live in the Washington, D.C. area, who want those games staged in the Verizon Center.

College basketball pundits want Syracuse to play powerhouse teams in November and December, to shelve the perceived cupcakes for more substantial fare. Slamming SU when its schedule surfaces has become stylishly sporting; critics disparage the Orange for failing to play outside New York state, which has created a cottage industry of reactionary jokes from SU fans.

Renee Baumgartner and Kip Wellman will not please everybody. The authors of SU's basketball schedule understand that. Baumgartner, SU's Deputy Athletics Director, and Wellman, SU's Director of Basketball Operations, started working on the 2014-15 Syracuse schedule at the Final Four, where Baumgartner cozied up to coaches and gauged interest in Orange games.

Baumgartner and Wellman want to secure future dates with Connecticut, and yes, Georgetown. Other unnamed 'rivalry' games appear on their radar, too.

michael-gbinije-hairjpg-a2ca9e0c11423239.jpg

Silent G: No Haircut Since the Season Ended

Silent G: 'I Think We're Going to Have a Very Good Team' (PS; Ditota)

Michael Gbinije prefers to fix his sights forward.

Syracuse's most versatile basketball commodity, Gbinije talked on Tuesday during a chance meeting at the Melo Center about his thoughts on the upcoming basketball season.

The Orange lost four players, three of them starters, off a team that compiled a 28-6 overall record and finished 14-4 in its inaugural ACC season. Gone next season will be C.J. Fair, Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant and Baye Moussa Keita. Syracuse replaces them with point guard Kaleb Joseph and forward Chris McCullough.

"I'm excited. I'm really excited," Gbinije said. "I'm interested in seeing what's going to happen. But overall, I think we're going to have a very good team. I think we're going to make a deeper run in both the ACC and the NCAAs."

15001912-mmmain.jpg

TE and JG Will be 1st Round Draft Choices Shortly

JB Says TE is 'Ready to Run an NBA Team' (PS; Carlson)

Boeheim said Ennis is ready to run an NBA team, seemingly a reversal from the comments he made on "SportsCenter" immediately after Ennis' decision.

"He has got the size and the knowledge and the ability to be a professional point guard," Boeheim said on the podcast. "I think people will see that. I think they saw it during the year and I think they'll see that when they see him one-on-one. He's smart. He's mature beyond his years. He had almost a 4-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio here. He's really ready and able, I think, to run an NBA team."

Like he was with Ennis, though, Boeheim was mostly positive about Grant and said he expected the athletic forward to have a long NBA career.

"I think it was a surprise a little bit," Boeheim said. "I think physically he needs to be a little stronger. That said, he's going to get drafted, he's going to be an NBA player, he's going to play in the NBA for a long time. It may take him a little while to break in. He's got to get a little bit stronger, continue to work on his shooting. I think Jerami Grant is going to play in the NBA a long time. I really do. I would have rather seen him play another year in college, selfishly, and I think it would have helped him, but I believe he'll play in the NBA and someday be a great NBA player."

Other

vz74cry8o3ss8jba.jpg

Player of the Year Candidate Kayla Treanor

SU Head Coach Gary Gait, UVa's HC Myers Discuss Cav Resurgence (DO; Blum)

When Syracuse faced Virginia, Devon Collins and Kayla Treanor combined for nine goals while the Orange cruised to an 18-14 win.

Syracuse dominated the Cavaliers — who started the season 1-3 — for most of that game, but SU head coach Gary Gait isn’t taking too much stock in the past heading into the weekend.

“Certainly you can watch that film, but you’ve got to rely on recent film,” Gait said on an NCAA tournament teleconference Monday afternoon. “They’ve made a lot of changes. I think it’s time to reevaluate, focus, do a good scouting report on the team and see where they’re at now.”

No. 2-seed Syracuse (20-2, 6-1 Atlantic Coast) will most likely face a much better team than it did on Feb. 23 when it squares off with No. 6-seed Virginia (12-8, 3-4) in the NCAA tournament semifinals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom