Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

Syracusefan.com News

-3666f99cf8bcd26c.JPG

Tyler Roberson, Hop, OE, BJ, Rakeem and DC2

-35a0b3b6001e631f.JPG

OE's Exceptional Family with SS (Less His Remarkable Wife Dianne)

After 90 Days in Crouse Hospital, Orangeyes Faces Major Surgery on Friday (PS; Waters)

(Great story Mike, props also to cto for starting the SU to OE visits, and to all the members of the board for their visits and kindness; there are too many to mention individually)

Dan Johnson was chatting with family members, passing the time as he lay in a bed at Crouse Hospital, when the room fell silent.

"Their eyes went wide and their jaws just dropped,'' Johnson said.

Johnson looked toward the door and there stood a beaming Mike Hopkins. The Syracuse University assistant basketball coach had heard that Johnson, formerly a mainstay at the team's practices at the Carrier Dome, had been hospitalized for an extended period of time. Johnson had stopped going to as many practices when the Carmelo K. Anthony Center opened.

"Where you been,'' Hopkins asked Johnson. "I want you to come back to practice.''

Johnson still couldn't believe it was Hopkins standing there.

"I just started crying,'' Johnson said. "I was so humbled that he would come up and see me.''

SU News

Podcast: Jonathan Givony of Draftexpress.com on Where the SU Players Will Get Picked (PS; Axe)

The 2014 NBA Draft is one week away.

Where will former Syracuse basketball players Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant and C.J. Fair get selected?

In the latest edition of the "Axecast," I talked to NBA Draft expert Jonathan Givony of Draftexpress.com to get a sense of what the answer to that question may be.

Althought a lot can change between here and the draft, the consensus at this point seems to be that Tyler Ennis will go in the mid-to-late first-round, Jerami Grant in the late first-round, early second-round and that C.J. Fair is a back end second-round guy.

15130299-mmmain.jpg

Stories Behind the Numbers (PS; Waters)

In the long history of Syracuse University basketball, some numbers are just synonymous with a specific player.

Pearl Washington is No. 31. There is no No. 22 other than Dave Bing. And 21? Lawrence Moten, of course.

Last week, Syracuse fans voted on the best playerto wear other numbers.

But while some players are known for wearing a certain number, many players wore more than one number in their Syracuse careers.

christian-whitejpg-c82387b3f393c89e.jpg

Eric Atkins and Christian White

New SU Player Christian White Talks Transfer, Scholarship, Court Savvy and Playing Time (PS; Ditota)

Donna Ditota: What was the process by which you got acquainted with Syracuse and ended up there?

Christian White: I've been a fan my whole life. I always went to Syracuse basketball camps. In high school, I was invited to the Syracuse Elite Camp. I went to that twice. I got to know Coach Hopkins, Coach McNamara pretty well. And then throughout AAU, they were at a lot of my (Albany City Rocks) games because they were recruiting Dajuan (Coleman). And things didn't go the way I'd planned at Monmouth. No harsh feelings. It just wasn't the right place for me. It's awful because I had to leave a lot of friends and that was tough. But when I decided to transfer, I thought, 'I may as well look into Syracuse.' And they're giving me an opportunity.

DD: I'm sure you'd heard that Tyler and Jerami were leaving and they had scholarships available. Is that one of the reasons you'd inquired?

CW: No. I had already applied to Syracuse when I knew I was going to transfer. So either way, I was still looking into it. The fact that they have scholarships left is great. I am walking on to the team. I know they give scholarships out to guys who play on the team if they have any left. And I'm going to compete like a scholarship player every day. I'm not your typical walk-on because I'm transferring from another DI school.

Top Moments From 2013-14 Season: SU Routs Villanova (the Juice; Cheng)

WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse never looked fazed after facing its largest deficit of the season.

After Villanova buried four straight 3-pointers to take a 25-7 lead midway through the first half, it appeared Syracuse was on its way to its first loss of the season. But Syracuse regrouped quickly in a battle of top 10 undefeated teams.

Syracuse clamped down on defense, forcing nine straight misses after the Wildcats had hit five of their first six shots. Villanova also turned the ball over three times.

“When it was 25-10 we got two traps on defensive plays that we got turnovers on and got in transition,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “We just kind of eased into it and then our defense picked up. They really didn’t get a lot to look at the last ten minutes of the first half, they didn’t get a lot of looks.”

College Basketball News

JB, Upstate NY Coaches Weigh In on Rough Play in the Paint (PS; Ditota)

On June 25, members of the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel that governs NCAA basketball rules will meet via teleconference to vote on various rule change proposals for the 2014-15 season.

We've already discussed potential alterations to the block/charge call and experiments to shorten the shot clock.

Today, we'll tackle defending the post area. Officials and coaches have described rule changes over the past few years as an attempt to allow more freedom of movement and encourage more scoring.

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse: "Overall, once you get into league play, I think it's a little too physical. I think they're trying to make a move to make it less physical. So I think that's good. I think it will allow a little more offense and that's important."

Former Players

-a430cb9c46cbd534.jpg

BT Matured Beyond Basketball As He Navigated Isolation in Italy (PS; Ditota)