Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

What Can Fans Expect From SU Break with IMG? (PS; Axe)

Syracuse University's pursuit of a new multimedia rights deal isn't quite as sexy to follow as the Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony free agent game, but one can't help notice the similarities.

There are millions of dollars on the line, they have plenty of suitors and at the end of the process they could still end up right where they started, only much richer.

And it is a move Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross has been preparing for.

Whether through a re-structured deal with IMG, a deal with another sports marketing entity like Learfield Sports or JMI, or done at Syracuse University in-house, there is a lot more multimedia rights gold to be had at the end of this rainbow.

That's why Syracuse broke its contract with IMG. A contract, by the way, that was recently extended through 2021.

Former Players

15359747-mmmain.jpg

Melo Watch: Report Says Carmelo Will Re-Sign with NY Knicks (PS; Carlson)

Carmelo Anthony hopes to write his lasting basketball legacy in New York.

Anthony, the former Syracuse star and the NBA's No. 2 scorer, will re-sign with the New York Knicks on Thursday, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, ending one of the offseason's biggest stories.

Isola left open the small chance that Anthony has a change of heart tonight but said an announcement is expected Thursday. Isola did not specify terms of the deal but reported that Anthony has an offer from the Knicks for a five-year contract for $129 million, the maximum salary he can have receive.

Ramona Shelburne, a reporter with ESPN who works extensively in Los Angeles, later Tweeted that Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, said nothing had been decided.

michael-carter-williams-70913bf4d533162a.jpg

MCW Says Rehab is 'Ahead of Schedule' (PS; AP)

When Philadelphia 76ers point guard Michael Carter-Williams was in Orlando last year for NBA summer league, he spent most of his week shaking off questions about his less-than-impressive performance.

He returned to Florida on Wednesday, but only as a spectator as the league's reigning Rookie of the Year continues to rehab from offseason shoulder surgery.

He kept mostly a low profile but did sit on the Sixers bench to cheer on teammates that included Nerlens Noel, who sat out last season recovering from a torn ACL, and Jerami Grant, his former teammate at Syracuse.

"It's been tough," Carter-Williams said of being away from the court this offseason. "Of course I wish I could be out there playing and doing what I love, but I know it's a process and it's best for me to chill out a little bit and get healthy."

15376902-mmmain.jpg

Jerami Grant Continues to Progress, Donte Greene and Arinze Onuaku Also Play Well in NBA Summer League Action (PS; Carlson)

Two former Syracuse forwards brought out the best in each other during NBA summer league action Wednesday.

Matching up against each other at points during the contest, Donte Greene and Jerami Grant enjoyed their most prolific games of the NBA summer league season as Brooklyn faced Philadelphia.

Grant continued his improvement during his summer session, while Greene kept up the prolific scoring pace that has landed him in Brooklyn's starting lineup the past two games.

Grant's 76ers earned the win 92-86, improving to 3-1 during the session. Brooklyn fell to 1-3.

dion-drives-past-diawjpg-d68004d1e7b84f3a.jpg

Dion Waiters

How Much Are Former SU Players Making in the NBA? (PS; Ditota)

As the speculation and the corresponding tweets ratchet up during the LeBron James/Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes, let's consider the lesser stars in the NBA galaxy.

A few former Syracuse University players are attached to NBA franchises. Wondering how much they'll make next year? The website basketballinsiders.com offers helpful details.

The monetary facts:

Dion Waiters, Cleveland Cavaliers. Waiters was the fourth pick of the 2012 NBA draft. He will make $4,062,000 in 2014-15. The team option for 2015-16 is $5,138,430.

Michael Carter-Williams,
Philadelphia 76ers. MCW was the 11th pick of the 2013 draft. He will make $2,300,040 in 2014-15. The team option for 2015-16 is $2,399,040; in 2016-17 it's $3,183,526.

Jerami Grant: Time is on His Side (PS; Poliquin)

It's not so much that we're rubber-necking here, watching from afar as Jerami Grant transitions from college basketball tease to whatever he's going to be as a pro (and wherever he's going to be it). This is no car wreck. Not yet, anyway.

But for those who do follow Syracuse University hoops (and around here that includes just about everybody, and his or her parakeet), Grant's progress does bear monitoring.

Storm Coverage

ne_140709_lowville-storm2.jpg

Cool Video of the Storm Featuring 75 MPH Winds As It Passed Through Downtown Syracuse (PS; Long)

I hope they don't bring back Mark Johnson or anyone similar. I like having a long-term "Voice of the Orange" with roots in the community.

Reactions: cto