Tight End | Syracusefan.com

Tight End

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
Syracuse seems to have an overabundance of them going into 2013...

Beckett Wales, Sr.
Ron Thompson, Fr.
Josh Parris, Fr.
Ashton Broyld, TSo.
Max Beaulieu, Jr.
Ben Barrett, Fr.
Tyler Provo, TFr.
Kendall Moore, TFr.
PJ Batten, TFr.

What the heck are we going to do with so many tight ends?

TE make the perfect Special Teams players if you ask me.

Beckett Wales, Sr.
Ron Thompson, Fr.
Josh Parris, Fr.
Ashton Broyld, TSo.
Max Beaulieu, Jr.
Ben Barrett, Fr.
Tyler Provo, TFr.
Kendall Moore, TFr.
PJ Batten, TFr.

Beaulieu is gone?, Moore is an OT in the making?, Broyld position TBD, Wales grads 2013-14. So now we're down to five. Is Thompson healed? Provo H-back. Batten DE potential. Play two TE in many formations. Maybe not as many as it looks

Beckett Wales, Sr.
Ron Thompson, Fr.
Josh Parris, Fr.
Ashton Broyld, TSo.
Max Beaulieu, Jr.
Ben Barrett, Fr.
Tyler Provo, TFr.
Kendall Moore, TFr.
PJ Batten, TFr.

I think AB stays at RB...especially if they move DMV back to safety.

Beckett Wales, Sr.
Ron Thompson, Fr.
Josh Parris, Fr.
Ashton Broyld, TSo.
Max Beaulieu, Jr.
Ben Barrett, Fr.
Tyler Provo, TFr.
Kendall Moore, TFr.
PJ Batten, TFr.

Accurate list as of right now, but I see maybe three here who are true multiple year options for us as a tight end. Thompson, Parris, and Provo would be those three. I wonder if the staff would consider sliding Batten out to split end? With his purported speed to go with his size, he could be that physical speedster we have been missing for years. We always think about kids bulking up at the next level, but 6'4, 220 lbs sounds about right, maybe shift the weight a bit to muscle but no reason to add bulk.

Accurate list as of right now, but I see maybe three here who are true multiple year options for us as a tight end. Thompson, Parris, and Provo would be those three. I wonder if the staff would consider sliding Batten out to split end? With his purported speed to go with his size, he could be that physical speedster we have been missing for years. We always think about kids bulking up at the next level, but 6'4, 220 lbs sounds about right, maybe shift the weight a bit to muscle but no reason to add bulk.
Similar to RU's Coleman but hopefully Batten has better hands.

Provo was recruited as a FB prospect by ESPN he was rated the number 5 FB in the nation. Provo may start at FB before moving to TE.

I don't think you will see Broyld at TE. Beaulieu has not proven that he can get on the field at any position. I think it's funny that Barret is to small and weak to play oline so let's just call him a TE. Moore is going to be a tackle eventually. So that leaves five guys. Wales is the starter and plays the most. If Thompson is healthy he should play. Parris and Provo have the versitalty to play multiple positions. Batten will redshirt. I think the position is in great shape. Glad to see the position appears to have a role in the new offense.

Provo was recruited as a FB prospect by ESPN he was rated the number 5 FB in the nation. Provo may start at FB before moving to TE.

Pure speculation on my part but I doubt we see much of a fullback in our offense going forward.

Shafer has stated he wants to keep the "same system". I am assuming that means some version of the spread, either west coast or traditional.

GMC has mentioned utilizing more 4 and 5 wide sets and has recruited the players to prove it.

Doubt we see a blocker in the back-field with his hand on the turf outside of the tank-package.

remember, according to HCSS and OC McDonald; we will have an attacking offense. They also spoke about development of a run to set up the pass focus. There are many creative ways we could use TE's in this system. Potentially some more to DE or other spots.

Is there a fullback in McDonald's offense? The position is an endangered species. Even last season, we only used it in the tank package. And we used a backup linebacker as the fullback.

If McDonald is using multiple tight ends, I don't see where a fullback fits in. Do the *Patriots use a fullback?

Is there a fullback in McDonald's offense? The position is an endangered species. Even last season, we only used it in the tank package. And we used a backup linebacker as the fullback.

If McDonald is using multiple tight ends, I don't see where a fullback fits in. Do the *Patriots use a fullback?

That will depend on if they use the pistol offense. The Pats do not use a fullback but the 49ers do in the spread pistol. I know a lot of offenses have killed off the fullback but as Delanie Walker (#46, 49ers) showed someone who can play fullback/H back/TE is extremely valuable. Helps the running game, allows for the use of counters, and can create real mismatch problems. If you have a guy on the field that the defense is not sure which position he will line up at (think Hernandez in NE who lines up in the backfield, split out, or at TE or Walker as above) it can create real personnel issues. I could see Provo, Batten, and Broyld all used in a somewhat similar role next year.

That will depend on if they use the pistol offense. The Pats do not use a fullback but the 49ers do in the spread pistol. I know a lot of offenses have killed off the fullback but as Delanie Walker (#46, 49ers) showed someone who can play fullback/H back/TE is extremely valuable. Helps the running game, allows for the use of counters, and can create real mismatch problems. If you have a guy on the field that the defense is not sure which position he will line up at (think Hernandez in NE who lines up in the backfield, split out, or at TE or Walker as above) it can create real personnel issues. I could see Provo, Batten, and Broyld all used in a somewhat similar role next year.

Hernandez often lines up behind the the LOS for the *Pats. So I'm assuming certain players (Broyld, Parris, Provo, Batten) will be used like that, where they'll move around a lot. But the fullback title isn't really needed. We'll see.

TE make the perfect Special Teams players if you ask me.
Agreed, TE and LB's are great Special Teams guys because they can block and tackle on the move. Not so much for return men obviously but they fit the mold on nearly every other ST Unit.

Read somewhere McDonald really want batten on O.. Prob get first crack there