Time out usage (or lack thereof) | Syracusefan.com

Time out usage (or lack thereof)

mikemorg

Walk On
Team played well, just got worn down by a bigger, stronger, deeper team.

But I think part of this falls on JBs time out usage. Quick turnaround, 4 guys who basically never come out of games - how do you not use timeouts in the second half to get the guys some extra rest? Many coaches will call time out right before tv timeouts to get extended rest - I've seen JB do this before - was shocked that we still had 2 TOs left with a minute to play. Guys see gassed and this might have helped. I would think this needs to be a strategic shift moving forward.

I almost posted this in the game thread at halftime. We had the maximum number of TO's left for the 2nd half with 4. I was hoping to see JB use 2-3 of those for extra rest for our ironmen and save 1 for late game if needed. That was a fast paced game for only playing 6 guys and on 1 days of rest

Bottom line - we have had too many late losses this season in close games. Guys are bent over at the FT line.

Add 1 or 2 minutes rest to the timeout in conjunction with the TV timeout idea & maybe we could be fresh at the end & seal some of these deals.

We just can't expect guys to play 40 minutes & have fresh legs at the end of games.

Substituting for any of our big four is tough because there is a huge dropoff in play from our starters to whomever might come in off the bench. Nonetheless, it must be done because we have seen the results when it isn't done & it just can't get any worse. A lineup I would like to see when G or Roberson are rested would be to bring in Chino. Rak could play the 4 on the D end & Chino could just get out of the way on the O end. So far I do not recall seeing that lineup this season. That lineup should give us size and be able to hold it's own on the D end for a few minutes at a time.

for televised games each team gets :

Four 30-second timeouts and one 60- second timeout per team.

Each team carries over any unused timeouts from the first half but no more than three 30-second timeouts each. The fourth is lost if it was not used in the first half. The first 30- second timeout requested by either team in this half only becomes a media timeout, the length of which is determined by the media agreement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom