Tips for those going to Atlanta | Syracusefan.com

Tips for those going to Atlanta

DCCuse

Tailgate Buffet Legend
I've seen a few threads with some ideas, but wanted to put together something separate for my board brethren who are making the trip and perhaps have never been to Atlanta. One of these years the stars will align and I will be able to make it when SU is in the Final Four (2003 was when I was moving up to Syracuse from DC and this year my wife and I have a funeral to be at this weekend), but hope all of you have a fantastic time, both at the Georgia Dome and out and about in ATL. These are tips I have collected from some of my contacts in the Atlanta area.
--------------------------
  • Best place for breakfast: http://www.rthomasdeluxegrill.net/
  • Best bloody Mary’s in Georgia: http://www.thenookatlanta.com/
  • Really suggest if the weather is nice they check out Piedmont Park and the botanical garden (for the outdoorsy types). Otherwise, the Georgia Aquarium and World of Coca-Cola are must-see’s as well.
-------------------------

A must is the aquarium. Best in the world in my opinion. If time permits, Stone Mountain park. Zoo is small but nice, especially the gorillas. Word of Coke is good. There are too many awesome restaurants to even start. Vortex is known for burgers, The Varsity is a legend for hot dogs and an Atlanta icon. The Bone Garden is good Mexican. A really good “soul food” place -- Gladis and Ron's. Hope this helps.

After a rainy Friday, the weekend is supposed to be beautiful, so your friends will see the best of ATL weather. I hope they are staying downtown, where they can walk to everything, since most of the action will be around the Georgia Dome and Centennial Olympic Park. If they are NOT staying downtown, I highly recommend they do NOT drive downtown. Traffic will be apocalyptic! They should drive to the MARTA (subway) station nearest their hotel and take the train into town. If they don't, they will risk hours sitting in traffic.

There are a LOT of actiivities going on in conjunction with the tournament. We're all excited about the FREE concert series: http://www.ncaa.com/final-four#!big_dance, especially on Sunday with Dave Matthews Band and Sting.

Your friends also need to schedule time to do the touristy things, including the World of Coke museum and ESPECIALLY the Georgia Aquarium. I volunteer at the Aquarium and it is spectacular. "The world' most engaging aquarium experience"...it will be PACKED this weekend, so I would suggest they buy tickets online in advance. They should make sure they select a time to attend the AT&T Dolphin Tales show - it is free with admission but requires a separate entry ticket, something that many guests miss. www.georgiaaquarium.org.

If they want to do historical type touristy things, I'd suggest Auburn Avenue, where MLK's birthplace is, and the Ebenezer Baptist Church. They could do the CNN Tour while downtown, something I always recommend for first-time guests, but there's going to be so much media around this weekend, the CNN Tour might be anticlimatic. Oh, I think the Braves are in town this weekend too...

There will be celebrities EVERYWHERE, especially sports celebs, so your friends who are into that sort of thing should keep their eyes peeled for sightings!

There are so many places to eat...since I'm focused on downtown, I'd suggest the patio at Ruth's Chris steakhouse, a great people-watching, wine drinking spot. They may also be able to hear the Centennial Park concerts from there as well. The Westin hotel has a fabulous bar and restaurant on the top floor...and it rotates, giving a spectacular view of the entire Atlanta metro area. Always a popular stop! Nikolai's Roof, at the Hilton hotel (I think), is also great - but pricey.

Buckhead is another great destination, both for celeb sightings and for a ton of great bars and restaurants.
  • Aquarium is amazing (and I have been to some all over the world)
  • Ecco on 8th street is great. Dine dining
  • Tin Drum on Peachtree and Fresh To Order are great fast casual (and my clients)
----------------------------
One suggestion is to get out of downtown when they can and get to places like Decatur, the West Side, and East Atlanta.
  • Best Burger in the city: A tie between Bocado and Holeman and Finch (H & F now has a stand within Turner Field as well.)
  • Best Pizza: Antico Napoletana, or Ammazza - both proper Neopolitan pizza
  • Best Drinks: Lots of choices here. Leon's Full Service in Decatur is great, as is H. Harper Station, Sound Table, really a long list.
  • Best Deli: Easy, we only have one - opened recently near Emory - The General Muir. Todd Ginsberg formerly of Bocado is the chef there.
  • Oddest thing to do after a game: Clermont Lounge - open all night - not really sure how to describe it best but it's where people go to drink PBR and watch strippers literally old enough to have an AARP card dance. When Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain visited Atlanta, they spent some time here.
  • Best Asian Food: Get up to Buford Highway. Stone Bowl House for Korean is unbelievable. Cafe 101 and Gu's Bistro are great for Szechuan. Quoc Huong for banh mi.
  • Best New Restaurant: The Argosy in my neighborhood - East Atlanta Village.
------------------------------
  • Georgia Aquarium
  • Atlanta Botanical Gardens (it's supposed to be a gorgeous weekend) - they have an orchid house that is awesome
  • Little Five Points and Virginia Highlands are cool eclectic areas to walk around and have shops/restaurants/bars
  • One of my favorite restaurants is downtown next to the Fox Theatre - it's call Baraonda - wood fire pizza, great pasta, great wine list, cool clientele
  • For a true southern flair - Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce de Leon Ave is a southern classic
-----------------------------
Enjoy and if I get any more responses I will add them here.

Do you have any suggestions on going or if it is worth it to the Tupac Shakur museum in Stone mountain? I will be staying downtown so not sure how easy it will get to.

Everyone going to Atlanta needs to eat at least one meal at Mary Mac's and thank me later.

that list is pretty solid...

but when in Atl, please do not go to a Ruths Chris... please.

There are 15 GREAT local steak places located within 10 miles of downtown. Please don't touch a Ruth's Chris.

Rathbuns (as a poster below points out... there is a Rathbuns restaurant and a Kevin Rathbuns steak - go to the steak joint) Side note... Rathbun beat Bobby Flay in that chef challenge show.
Bones
Chops

im running out the door will get the rest of list this afternoon.

*edit* I am back. More steakhouses

Davio's
Hals

That would run out my top 5 non chain's. Also on the list should be woodfire grill - although not a steak only joint, it is excellent. I believe CusefaninVT sent his clients there on my recommendation. If going to Woodfire, check out the chef tasting menu.

Stone Mountain is an hour away. You would need a car. Know nothing about the museum, but it is quite ironic it is there. Stone Mountain used to be KKK central. But then African Americans began moving in, Caucasions moved out, and now it is a pretty solid black community.

The aquarium is great but it will be very crowded and honestly, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Sorry! Just my opinion. I've been there twice at Christmas, both times overwhelmed by crowds.

I've always had a good steak at Chops Lobster Bar.
Others are fans of Hal's... just be aware that they allow smoking at the bar. Great if you're a cigar fan, not so great if you have zero tolerance of smoke while you wait.

There are 15 GREAT local steak places located within 10 miles of downtown. Please don't touch a Ruth's Chris.

Rathbuns
Bones
Chops

For what it's worth, I was in Atlanta a couple years ago and had dinner at Rathbun Steak (there's also a restaurant called just "Rathbuns", but I specifically ate at Rathbun Steak), and it was one of the best meals I've had in my life. 12oz. filet with black truffle butter. Expensive, but worth it, and I can't imagine a Ruth's Chris beating it.

I've always had a good steak at Chops Lobster Bar.
Others are fans of Hal's... just be aware that they allow smoking at the bar. Great if you're a cigar fan, not so great if you have zero tolerance of smoke while you wait.
Hal's (get a table upstairs so zero smoke) is the best steak place. Old school. Unpretentious. AWESOME.

Stone Mountain is an hour away. You would need a car. Know nothing about the museum, but it is quite ironic it is there. Stone Mountain used to be KKK central. But then African Americans began moving in, Caucasions moved out, and now it is a pretty solid black community.

The aquarium is great but it will be very crowded and honestly, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Sorry! Just my opinion. I've been there twice at Christmas, both times overwhelmed by crowds.
stone mountain is not an hour away - 1/2 hour tops, but you will need a car. It's a great hike and view from the top. I always skip the confederate stuff. Hd no idea Tupac had a museum there - unless you're a ridiculously big fan I can't imagine a Tupac museum in stone mountain won't be a disappointment.

agree about the crowds at the aquarium - if you're going this weekend, get there when it opens before the hoards overwhelm the place.

I need to second Antico Pizza. Most pizza in atl sucks. Antico is the best in the universe. Brick over. Communal tables. They serve until they run out of dough. It's also pretty close to downtown, right off Georgia Tech's campus in West Midtown.

AND...down the block is Sublime Doughnuts. Stellar! Super interesting flavors.

Six Feet Under is another restaurant/bar in the West Midtown area. Great beer list. Super comfortable environment. Fantastic food. Think fried catfish, crab cakes, shrimp, etc.

Flip Burger (Richard Blais' place from Top Chef) is a little flashy but not too pricey and very interesting/good. Great desserts, too.

A note on Holman & Finch (sorry if someone else noted) - don't go there expectingthe burger. They only make 25 a day and serve at exactly 10:00. Unles syou're there at 8:00 and well positioned, spend your energy elsewhere.

I can't believe no-one's mentioned Gladys Knight's Chicken & Waffles yet!

Hal's (get a table upstairs so zero smoke) is the best steak place. Old school. Unpretentious. AWESOME.
I was only there once and got a table upstairs, we waited downstairs. When we got to the table (outside, even) we found the place to be livelier (louder) than expected. The combination of the noise and the previous smoke had my companion heading for the door.

Perhaps I'll get to enjoy a steak there at some point...

Rathbuns
Bones
Chops

Fogo De Chao... End of discussion...

This^

I'm going to stay away from the Aquarium, World of Coke, etc...they'll be like Disney at XMas Week or Spring Break. Save those for when you are in Atlanta for business or pleasure and a big event isn't happening. This is the time to visit friends who moved to ATL or see a less popular attraction.

I was only there once and got a table upstairs, we waited downstairs. When we got to the table (outside, even) we found the place to be livelier (louder) than expected. The combination of the noise and the previous smoke had my companion heading for the door.

Perhaps I'll get to enjoy a steak there at some point...
I've heard this from others but never had a problem. I always use open table to reserve so haven't had to wait and always (nicely) put my foot down on the smoke thing. They've consistenyl been accomodating. Also tend to go earlier than the crowds, mostly because we're lame and need to get back to kids.

It's a chain. Not sure why anyone would go to any big city and eat at a chain. I understand it's not in a lot of cities, but if you're going someplace you've never been or will rarely come back to, why not eat local?

fogo is fantastic for a 360-degree meat experience. don't accept imitations. i'd put it in a different a category than a steakhouse, though. fogo could end your night, so tread lightly.

fogo is fantastic for a 360-degree meat experience. don't accept imitations. i'd put it in a different a category than a steakhouse, though. fogo could end your night, so tread lightly.
Completely agree but it is pure meat madness, provided you don't kill yourself on the salad bar.

Regarding the chain comment, meh. This is not Outback or Sullivan's or Ruth's Chris we are talking about.

Also, anyone looking for a decent dessert bar check out Cafe Intermezzo. Not a bad way to end an evening.

I've heard this from others but never had a problem. I always use open table to reserve so haven't had to wait and always (nicely) put my foot down on the smoke thing.
For us, it's usually a prime night as part of a Buckhead stay. I too use Open Table or the hotel concierge. Sometimes we have to wait, but it's never been a problem at other restaurants. The hotel shuttle service is a nice way to get to dinner.

Also, anyone looking for a decent dessert bar check out Cafe Intermezzo. Not a bad way to end an evening.
Two thumbs up there. I've been to the Perimeter location a number of times. Awesome desserts, great coffee... and they have full bar service as well.

Completely agree but it is pure meat madness, provided you don't kill yourself on the salad bar.

Regarding the chain comment, meh. This is not Outback or Sullivan's or Ruth's Chris we are talking about.

I should just clarify - though I've never been to Fogo, I am sure it's great - been to other Brazilian Steakhouses that I love, and I totally agree that it's probably way above those other chains you mentioned. I was just making the point that if I were going to a big city with hundreds of great options, I'd point someone to someplace they can't go ANYWHERE else.