To change the subject... | Syracusefan.com

To change the subject...

Creighton bewilders me. Crush nova at nova after being spanked by providence and now lose to st johns. There may be some really scary matchups coming out of the 8-9 games...

Creighton bewilders me. Crush nova at nova after being spanked by providence and now lose to st johns. There may be some really scary matchups coming out of the 8-9 games...

They would win the championship if they shot like they did against Nova every game. Certainly a dangerous team, but as you alluded to, they seem to be a different team every time they take the court.

I don't think we need to worry about our individual RPI anymore. Its going to be good, as long we have 4 losses or less.

No matter what the number that is spit out, its going to be good enough, and will not be a differentiating factor. (I am ignoring the scenario with 5 losses because that would blow my mind at this point). Its going to be about quality wins / top 50 / top 50%.

It's no longer about what those OOC opponents do to our RPI... its can those OOC opponents get into (or stay in) the top 25 or top 50. So the win by St. John's today was still very important.

Here is where our OOC opponents are forecasted in the RPI (current record + remaining schedule projected based on Sagarin)

Villanova #3
Minnesota #45
California #46
Baylor #65
St. John's #74 (before today's game - it should be quite ramped up tomorrow.. perhaps low 60's)
Eastern Michigan #81 (no chance to move up much due to MAC)
Indiana #86

It would be nice for Minnesota and Cal to not slip up. It would really help for one of Baylor or St. John's to go on a nice streak to end the season to get into the top 50.

Worst case scenario is we end up with one OOC top 50 win, which I don't think was anticipated at the beginning of January.

They seem like a team that will not be able to string games to get to the Final 4. But at the same time, they would be amongst the most scary in a 1 game scenario.

Creighton has to struggle with the traveling in the new big east. They just played on Friday and had a tough turnaround game against the Johnnies who needed a W.

Their win at Nova was on a weeks rest against a top 5 foe. They will be tough team in the tourney but these East coast trips will take a toll in the regular season.

St Johns very nearly beat them on the road earlier.

They would win the championship if they shot like they did against Nova every game. Certainly a dangerous team, but as you alluded to, they seem to be a different team every time they take the court.

Creighton is undefeated at home, where they have blown out everyone except for St. John's who took them down to the wire. All four of their losses have come on the road. Johnnies are playing very well right now, having won four of five before Creighton, and they play excellent defense at home. The outcome of this game was no surprise at all.

Both teams are solid.

They are real tough when Wragge is on; when he isn't they are McDermott and a bunch of no names. They had a better team the last few years with Echenique.