Tobacco Road Tantrum vs. MSG Meltdown | Syracusefan.com

Tobacco Road Tantrum vs. MSG Meltdown

PoppyHart

All American
When the final chapter is written, which will get top billing? Last night's tirade or the "not 10" bleepin games outburst?

The chair throwing post Georgetown would if it was available in high def!

Aw, I think that's an easy one. And although I've never met him, I've been a Syracuse fan long enough to say the "ten f-ing games" statement shows who the man really is. I want a friend like him watching my back. :)

I know many of you are too young, but I can't believe no one has mentioned JB's tirade and double T in the 1st BET Championship game in Providence 1980 against the Hoyas. Many similarities to last night - that pretty much cost us the game too. This game somehow always gets lost in all the 'Cuse lore, probably because it was before ESPN and the media tended to keep the "Manley is closed" byte to signify the advent of the Orange/Hoya rivalry. This game was just one week later and really fuelled the fire. So many things about this burgeoning Syracuse/Duke rivalry are eerily similar to the start of that other rivalry that it is like my life of SU fandom is coming full circle. Though this rivalry seems to be built on much more mutual respect, the defining moments are already piling up...

Don't forget a technical really hurt us vs Iowa in the 1980 NCAAs.

The Big East Post game chair toss tops the list. But last night's meltdown is up there...

Wow, sounds like JB was really fired up in 1980!

The man is typically unflappable, you have to be a special kind of stupid to get James Arthur Boeheim awakened from his slumber.

Wow, sounds like JB was really fired up in 1980!

The man is typically unflappable, you have to be a special kind of stupid to get James Arthur Boeheim awakened from his slumber.

Which is why it took an especially egregious bad call like the game altering / inconsistent charge on CJ to get him to blow his stack.

He wouldn't do it otherwise.

I have a great story about that. The refs name was booker turner and I said someday I will run in to this guy. Well, 6 years later I did. And I lit him up.

I have a great story about that. The refs name was booker turner and I said someday I will run in to this guy. Well, 6 years later I did. And I lit him up.

Didn't JB say something like "get your g'dm hand down Red" (barking at Red Bruin) and the ref's nickname was "Red." And he "T'd" JB up, essentially putting a bow on Iowa's comeback in that game (initiated by JB's decision to press when up by 6 or 8, coming down the stretch in the 2nd half)?

Don't know if true. At least that's how the sequence looked/was later explained to me.

Obviously, before the days of the internet. On TV, it just looked like JB's inexperience (at the time) blowing an NCAA Tournament game against Iowa...

I think that is the story that jb tried to sell. He said that he was talking to red. Turner obviously didn't agree. That call has stayed with me like smarts shot.

JB has never been more emotional than after the 1984 BET Georgetown game, the Michael Graham game. But he's not as good at tossing chairs as Bobby Knight.

Ralph Dalton was cocked and loaded and it looks like JB was going to take him on.

images (2)boeheim.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom