Tonights game | Syracusefan.com

Tonights game

Marsh01

Living Legend
One common theme that I have noticed in Marquettes last 3 losses in conference are the number of turnovers. The last 3 losses they have had 17-19-19 turnovers. We really need to take advantage when they turn the ball over tonight and turn them into fast break points.

Also looking at rebounding numbers, we are ranked 12th in the nation where Marquette is in the 170's. No reason tonight for us to get out rebounded even though they have some beefy guys underneath. Again the bigs need to show something on the glass tonight.

We were embarrassed on Saturday. I think the players realized that and I am hoping they ate a nice big fat piece of humble pie yesterday. This game is too important and the loser of this game puts a big dent in their quest for a double bye in the BET. With Louisville on tap for Saturday and Georgetown still on the schedule this almost becomes a must win.

I expect our guys to come out tonight and play a solid game, get back to what works and that is MCW getting to the basket, Triche getting to the basket, getting CJ more touches and an overall better defensive performance that we showed against Gtown (although I thought we played pretty good D Saturday except for Porter).

LGO!

Another thing I've noticed is that Marquette is awful at 3 point shooting. They're 308th overall,a n d in BE play they are below 30%. They are smart about it and they don't shoot a lot, but if we pack in the defense we can hopefully force them to shoot over the top.

I agree on all points. we have to play big underneather. Gardner is huge but he cant jump. As for the turnovers, I think they are very succeptable to the steal in the zone if we anticipate the passing lanes. They are guard oriented and our strength is supposed to our guards. MCW/BT should be much better than Vander Blue and Junior Cadougan. And certainly CJ/JSouth is better than their wings. Looks good on paper.

Honestly, this game is more important than the Georgetown game since we always had a 2nd game with the Hoyas in D.C. If we win this game it will be better than winning on Saturday and losing today, but Saturday's game just felt more important because of the opponent and atmosphere. On to this game we need to rebound, rebound, rebound in this game. I hate Marquette because they are that plucky hustle team that ALWAYS out-hustles Syracuse and is competitive because they always out-work us these last 4 games against them. JB has to stress OUTWORK them and we will this game I think we can score in the 60's on them and Marquette isn't the best offensive team and if we keep them to under 20 second chance points I think we win. I am going to watch 2 numbers and they will tell me everything I need to know rebounds and 2nd chance points.

Another thing I've noticed is that Marquette is awful at 3 point shooting. They're 308th overall,a n d in BE play they are below 30%. They are smart about it and they don't shoot a lot, but if we pack in the defense we can hopefully force them to shoot over the top.

Isn't that the exact recipe for an opponent to go off on us from 3 when it's time for us to play them, which is then followed up by that same opponent shooting 9% from 3 in their next game? ;)

dont have much confidence in our O tonite, if we win i expect it to be a 55-54 meatgrinder. unfortunately i expect the game to go similar to the pitt game.

saturday's game really lowered my expectations for this team

Honestly, this game is more important than the Georgetown game since we always had a 2nd game with the Hoyas in D.C. If we win this game it will be better than winning on Saturday and losing today, but Saturday's game just felt more important because of the opponent and atmosphere. On to this game we need to rebound, rebound, rebound in this game. I hate Marquette because they are that plucky hustle team that ALWAYS out-hustles Syracuse and is competitive because they always out-work us these last 4 games against them. JB has to stress OUTWORK them and we will this game I think we can score in the 60's on them and Marquette isn't the best offensive team and if we keep them to under 20 second chance points I think we win. I am going to watch 2 numbers and they will tell me everything I need to know rebounds and 2nd chance points.

I agree and also have said this. Saturday was a huge game but wit ha return trip to Georgetown tonight's game is more important seeing we only play them once and a loss would mean they almost surely will finish ahead of us in the conference pecking order.

dont have much confidence in our O tonite, if we win i expect it to be a 55-54 meatgrinder. unfortunately i expect the game to go similar to the pitt game.

I hope it is a meat grinder type of game. I think we actually fare pretty well if this turns into an ugly game assuming we make some shots. We meant grinded out wins at Louisville and especially against Cincy. The problem with Pitt was we just didnt score and that is what ultimately killed our chances (I know a recurring theme this season).

Isn't that the exact recipe for an opponent to go off on us from 3 when it's time for us to play them, which is then followed up by that same opponent shooting 9% from 3 in their next game? ;)

Yeah I was going to say that but I wanted to be optimistic.

Maybe I'm just being a fanboy here, but I'm going the other way on it. You're never as bad as you are during your worst game. So I'm actually fairly optimistic here

Based upon the scouting report in today's PS, it appears that its source may be from a Pitt coach:

“Marquette is a tough, physical team. They grind you. Sometimes it seems like Syracuse doesn’t like that type of game. They’re not a strong team. Syracuse’s frontcourt guys have to adopt a tough mindset to beat Marquette on the road.’’

Sounds like a broken record for us fans and generally our complaints after yet another loss to Pitt. :noidea:

I don't think I could handle losing a game to a team that is coached by Curly of the 3 Stooges.

images
images

HUGE game. Will be another painful, grind it out game to watch. Would be great if the orange can get this win

I'll be heading up to Milwaukee in a few hours. My last game was at Louisville so I'm hoping some of that mojo is still working. Nervous to see how we play. Remember Marquette was embarassed as well on Saturday, albeit Nova is tough in Philly. I know how important a win is tonight, yet I truly feel HOW we play will be the barometer for what's to come. LGO!

HUGE game. Will be another painful, grind it out game to watch. Would be great if the orange can get this win
It's funny how things could work, I expected a Gtown win and a let down loss to Marquette. A freaking crapshoot it is.

Based upon the scouting report in today's PS, it appears that its source may be from a Pitt coach:

“Marquette is a tough, physical team. They grind you. Sometimes it seems like Syracuse doesn’t like that type of game. They’re not a strong team. Syracuse’s frontcourt guys have to adopt a tough mindset to beat Marquette on the road.’’

Sounds like a broken record for us fans and generally our complaints after yet another loss to Pitt. :noidea:
Marquette may be physically tough (don't know, haven't watched them enough), but their defensive ratings don't really match with the kind of tough teams that cause us problems, like a Pitt, or Georgetown.

This game should be a rock fight in the 50's... so I'm expecting 70 something to 60 something Cuse win. MU will come out and hit a few 3's early, then we'll take over. Triche will go for 20+ and hit at least 4 3's to bounce back, and CJ will go 20/10.

Reactions: MGP
I don't think I could handle losing a game to a team that is coached by Curly of the 3 Stooges.

images
images

Buzz Williams is infantile, and his antics are ridiculous.

Game-wise, I think we've got this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom