Tony Bennett | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett

I agree. But Virginia also has a decent history that people ignore. Terry Holland was a good coach, the Ralph Sampson teams were great, and you might remember they beat us in 1984 on the way to the Final Four (without Sampson). Before Bennett, they were never elite but were a solid program in the 80s and 90s.

I guess it depends on what one considers decent. They were good when Sampson was there. Since Samson, here are their best ACC records...

1995 12-4
2007 11-5
1989 9-5

They were pretty much ACC SU. Under Bennett they have won 2 ACCTs and 5 ACC reg seasons.

Bennett is a great coach. What's he had two pros? Three if you count Jerome. His system, like the zone, keeps lesser teams in games. Let's hope we have similar success under red.

Bennett is a great coach. What's he had two pros? Three if you count Jerome. His system, like the zone, keeps lesser teams in games. Let's hope we have similar success under red.
Yes, I would expect nothing less than contentment from this fan base if Red leads SU to consistent regular-season success and early exits from the tournament.

Yes, I would expect nothing less than contentment from this fan base if Red leads SU to consistent regular-season success and early exits from the tournament.
...and a National Championship?

yeah, I think we'd be ok with that

Since the NCAAT expanded to 64 teams UVA had...

-zero Championships before Bennett
-zero Final Fours before Bennett
-two Elite 8s before Bennett which he has matched
-three Sweet 16s before Bennett which he has matched
-eleven NCAA Ts before Bennett and he has 9 (woulda had 10 in 2020)

I hate his style of play. They are like the Pitt of the ACC. But he pretty much is UVA BBall. There wasn't a whole lot before him.
Isn’t Pitt the Pitt of the ACC?

...and a National Championship?

yeah, I think we'd be ok with that
If Red follows the exact trajectory, there will be grumblings after two first-round losses to 13s and an NIT in a three-year span.

I think his excellence is seen in consistently taking teams without star power and putting them into the top 10 and near the top of the conference. The danger of not having that much real talent is that your margins are smaller and it's easier to be upset by unknowns/unfamiliars in the the NCAA tournament.

Bennet’s success in the NCAA tournament looks similar to Boeheim’s first few years in the tournament. JB struggled the first several years in the tournament. SU had a lot of early exits. I dare to say SU had better talent than Virginia.
JB took a lot of heat for early exits… but most of those were exits from the Sweet 16 before the tourney expanded. Not the same as losing first round or second round games now. Those were essentially third round games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom