Tony Bland Pleads Guilty | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bland Pleads Guilty

Basically no one involved with the Wall Street fraud that crashed the economy in 2007-08 has ever seen a jail cell, but Tony Bland may lose six months of his life for taking $4100.

While that of course is true, it isn’t really a reason to feel sorry for Tony Bland, Book Richardson or anyone else caught up in this prosecution. Bland wasn’t some poor kid with no money. USC hired him in 2013 for $250k a year. Unfortunately that wasn’t enough and he chose to take money for something he should have been doing for free with the kids interests, and not his, as his primary motivation.

I feel sorry Tony felt he should go down that road for whatever reason but not trying to defend him.

His punishment will be the loss of what he has loved for all his life. In addition, he may get jail time and as Eric15 said, it will be a shame the elite banking scum got nothing for a far greater crime.

While that of course is true, it isn’t really a reason to feel sorry for Tony Bland, Book Richardson or anyone else caught up in this prosecution. Bland wasn’t some poor kid with no money. USC hired him in 2013 for $250k a year. Unfortunately that wasn’t enough and he chose to take money for something he should have been doing for free with the kids interests, and not his, as his primary motivation.

I’m not saying I necessarily feel sorry for Bland. He knew what the rules were and he broke them. I just think there is fundamentally wrong with using God knows how much taxpayer money to investigate and try this case, all for what? To make sure college athletes don’t get a piece of the pie. I would rather that same money go toward something real, like combating human trafficking.

I’m not saying I necessarily feel sorry for Bland. He knew what the rules were and he broke them. I just think there is fundamentally wrong with using God knows how much taxpayer money to investigate and try this case, all for what? To make sure college athletes don’t get a piece of the pie. I would rather that same money go toward something real, like combating human trafficking.

Prosecuting this and prosecuting human traffickers are not mutually exclusive, the government isn’t resource poor.

And this prosecution isn’t about preventing college kids from getting a piece of the pie. It’s about college coaches selling their players to the highest bidder. Not much different than AAU coaches taking cash to deliver players to a particular school. The kids aren’t benefiting, they are being taken advantage of.

Pressure to sign recruits to keep that job.

tony bland is expected to get probation and no jail time.

even though, i still feel bad for him. he got caught in a corrupt system for $4100 and lost his livelihood.

thank you for the like MCC

I honestly thought that would get 100+ likes. Its an all timer.

tony bland is expected to get probation and no jail time.

even though, i still feel bad for him. he got caught in a corrupt system for $4100 and lost his livelihood.

who knows how much money he really took. a lot of this was cash. it would surprise me if it was only really $4100.

so this is the big scalp of that investigation?

There's other trials, but the NCAA is looking the other way until Zion is gone from Duke because they know their cash cow is in jeopardy there...

book pleads guilty... please, please, please sing about miller. i refuse to believe these head coaches were in the dark. i really hope the us atty has the foresight to go after a head coach. it would be interesting if the sdny charged miller with conspiracy.

Prosecuting this and prosecuting human traffickers are not mutually exclusive, the government isn’t resource poor.

And this prosecution isn’t about preventing college kids from getting a piece of the pie. It’s about college coaches selling their players to the highest bidder. Not much different than AAU coaches taking cash to deliver players to a particular school. The kids aren’t benefiting, they are being taken advantage of.
Exactly. I don't care much about shoe companies slipping money to kids to play at specific colleges. But coaches shouldn't be taking money to steer unaware kids toward financial advisors.