Too early to guess at next year's rotation? | Syracusefan.com

Too early to guess at next year's rotation?

jekelish

Living Legend
PG - Ennis
SG - Gbinije
SF - Fair
PF - Grant
C - Christmas

6th - DC2 (in a shocking upset because I legitimately believe he's going to make a big jump)
7th - BMK
8th - Cooney (ahead of Roberson because of lack of G depth)
9th - Roberson
10th - Buss
11th - BJ
12th - Chino

PG - Ennis
SG - Gbinije
SF - Fair
PF - Grant
C - Christmas

6th - DC2 (in a shocking upset because I legitimately believe he's going to make a big jump)
7th - BMK
9th - Roberson
10th - Buss
11th - BJ
12th - Chino

Chino = redshirt for sure. Probably BJ too if I had to guess.

PG - Ennis
SG - Gbinije
SF - Fair
PF - Grant
C - Christmas

7th - BMK
9th - Roberson
10th - Buss
11th - BJ
12th - Chino
I got
PG Ennis
SG Cooney
SF Fair
PF Grant
C Christmas
6th-BMK
7th-Gbinijie
8th Buss(Backup PG)
9th Roberson
10th DC
11th BJ
12th Chino

Maybe MCW comes back? Maybe?

I can't see any amongst DC2, X, or BMK playing the four. Therefore, I see Roberson getting Grant type of minutes next season & being amongst the first 8. I see one of DC2, X, or BMK falling out of the rotation as only two centers are really needed. I think Buss will give Cooney a run for the backup guard minutes. BJ probably needs a year to get stronger, but you can never tell. He sounds like a player. Chino shirts - no room at all for him next year. To me the entire key is CJ returning. It all falls apart wo him & the second big key is Ennis living up to at least reasonable expectations.

dc2 will get minutes i foresee him making a big jump..

No way Cooney starts next year - Gbinje didn't come here to back up Cooney.

Do not sleep on Buss. He could get a starting job if Silent G and Cooney don't bring it in practice.

I think Fair and Ennis may be the only ones in stone...MG, TC, Buss could all get that other guard spot.
More than likely we will see Rak and Grant, but who knows if DC2 will make the bigger jump and lose weight and slide into a Rick Jackson type roll and be able to play the 4 as well as then 5.
Roberson will get his looks cause of his knack for going after the ball.
BMK will be BMK.
BJ should get a shot.
Chino, likely red shirt.

My line up looks like this
Ennis
?
Fair
Grant
Rak

But I wouldn't be surprised to see something different.

PG - Ennis
SG - Gbinije
SF - Fair
PF - Rak
C - DC2

6th - Grant (doesn't start but plays most of the minutes)
7th - BMK
9th - Roberson
10th - Buss
11th - BJ
12th - Chino

Yes, I'm sure Boeheim told him he'd start right away, no matter what.

If I were a betting man I'd bet he starts over Cooney. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Patterson gets more pt than Cooney.

If I were a betting man I'd bet he starts over Cooney. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Patterson gets more pt than Cooney.

Just with the way JB plays his lineups, I could see him starting Cooney and using Silent G as his super 6th man who can score off the bench like Kris Joseph a few years ago and Dion last year. I like Patterson, especially his 7 foot wingspan in the Zone, but I expect Cooney to be more comfortable and less frantic next year and be ahead of him in the rotation.

No way Cooney starts next year - Gbinje didn't come here to back up Cooney.

Will depend a lot on how well G plays the zone. I tend to think we'll see a rotation of

PG Ennis/Cooney 33/7
SG Cooney/Gbinije/BJ 15/20/5
SF CJ/BJ 35/5
PF Grant/Roberson/Rak 25/10/5
C Rak/DC/Baye 20/15/5

If BJ has the handle to cover at the 2 as needed then no need to burn Buss' redshirt year since we could use BJ at the 3 as well. If BJ doesn't have an adequate handle, he could redshirt and Buss could get ~10 mins at the 2 and Gbinije could potentially spell CJ at the 3 as needed. Centers will likely rotate again with the hot hand getting the lions share of the work. Chino was always going to be red shirting and I'm curious to see if Grant can transition and play some 3 as well in preparation for the following year with McCullough coming in as a 4 unless he blows up and declares early.

Never know what JB is thinking though because aside from 1's and 5's we don't really have guys locked into only 1 position.

Ennis = 1 PG
Cooney = 1.5 SG/PG
Buss = 2 SG
Gbinije = 2 SG or 2.5 SG/SF
BJ = 2.5 SF/SG
CJ = 3.5 SF/PF
Grant = 3.5 PF/SF
Roberson = 3.5 PF/SF
Rak = 4.5 C/PF
DC = 5 C
Baye = 5 C

Lots of unknowns but a ton of talent and versatility to work with.

My main concern next year is outside shooting. Don't see a consistent shooter at all on the squad (not that this year's team has one). Cooney hasn't shown me he will be a consistent outside threat. Gbinje is considered more of a slasher. Patterson apparently has a legitimate jumper - which is why it wouldn't surprise me to see him get some run. You'd have to think Coleman will improve to give us a legit post presence. Not sure I expect much of a jump from Rak.

PG - Ennis​
SG - Gbinije​
SF - Fair​
PF - Rak​
C - DC2​
6th - Grant (doesn't start but plays most of the minutes)​
7th - BMK​
8th - Cooney (ahead of Roberson because of lack of G depth)​
9th - Roberson​
10th - Buss​
11th - BJ​
12th - Chino​

Pretty sure this is how it'll go as well.

PG - Ennis
SG - Gbinije
SF - Fair
PF - Grant
C - Christmas

7th - BMK
9th - Roberson
10th - Buss
11th - BJ
12th - Chino
Am I the only one that feels McW shouldn't leave he has no offense at all makes iffy passes in the post with two guys draping over the intended passe and can't make a free throw at all how could Jim send him on and tell him that he is ready to leave that's craziness he should b back with Ennius as backup for a year

If I were a betting man the SG position (as with all playing time) will come down to the ability to play effectively in the zone defense. Rightly or wrongly this is how JB usually has doled out playing time (see DC2). If Gbinije can master the intricacies of playng on D and can be a much more effective sharpshooter, then I agree with you. Not banking on it though.

basically every rotation i saw predicted last summer had RAKIM at PF. didn't happen.won't happen.
he doesn't have the skills.face facts. we've got 3 really good CENTERS!

Pg: Ennis
2G: Gbinje
SF: Fair
PF: Grant
C: Coleman

Baye Cooney and Roberson off the bench w/ Buss #9.

Gut feeling is Rak isn't back. Roberson is really really good.

CJ will have to shoot 20 shots per game. That's a really young team.

before the tourney i had the same feeling that raxmas was fed up here but i think that getting a taste of the excitement of the the FF might have changed his mind. just my opinion. he may head for the beach.

I'm really hoping DC2 drops some weight and really learns the nuances of the 2-3. On the offensive end if he playing 25 minutes he could ave 10 ppg.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

JB has been pretty high on his praise for silent G, don't think there is any way he doesn't start. My only question is if it is at 2 or 3. Will be interesting to see what happens with Rak. Would the NBA draft him on potential alone? Or would he transfer someplace?

Same. Also believe that Rak won't be back.

Grant and Fair will be stellar next year (if CJ stays). I'd hate to see Rak leave, but if he does, so be it. Keita is one of the better back up 5's in the country and like some of you have said, DC2 should make a big jump next year.

If Rak stays I don't think DC2 would be happy at all with his playing time, we'd have 3 guys for 1 spot, and they'd each get about 13 minutes of PT if it was even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom