Too ironic... | Syracusefan.com

Too ironic...

cto

Administrator
When we were in the northeast-based Big East, I don't remember any games being delayed or postponed because of snow and ice.

Since joining the southern-based ACC this year, we've already had two games delayed because of bad winter weather in the Carolinas -- ironically both of them against NC State: The men's game on 2/15 when the NC State team could not get out of Raleigh ... and the women's tourney game today in Greensboro, because of bad winter weather.

Those southerners just can't deal with snow and ice!

It's kind of ugly in the Carolina's today. I had a business associate turn around and go home this morning. He was attempting to get from the east side of Raleigh to Charlotte and turned around after needing 2 hrs to get just 75 miles. Apparently, a bit of ice/slush/wet snow in the central part of the state. Lots of trees down, power out, cars spinning, yada, yada, yada...

When we were in the northeast-based Big East don't remember any games being delayed or postponed because of snow and ice.

Since joining the southern-based ACC this year, we've already had two games delayed because of bad winter weather in the Carolinas -- ironically both of them against NC State: The men's game on 2/15 when the NC State team could not get out of Raleigh ... and the women's tourney game today in Greensboro, because of bad winter weather.

You are quite right. They can't handle it. As a northerner living in the heart of dixie it is very amusing watching them close the schools and cancel everything before the first snowflake has fallen. They have had enough "snow days" to extent the school year a month on less than 2 feet total.

When we were in the northeast-based Big East, I don't remember any games being delayed or postponed because of snow and ice.

It was the ice today. My son in Winston Salem lost his power, and tens of thousands did. We don't do too well with ice up here, either. Or downed trees. Weirdly, the winter weather shifted this year so that the mid-Atlantic suffered far more than central New York did.

It's pretty hazardous down here right now. Ice, snow, downed trees, power outages and flood warnings.

work-happens-142.jpg

North Carolina snow plow!!

I remember a certain Syracuse-based ice storm in 2003 that affected a lot of fans.
I also seem to remember we played one of our best games in program history that night.

And when people in the northeast were freaking out about category 1 hurricanes, the south was making fun of them. I've never lived in the south but really it's all about what your area is most prepared for. State, county, and city budgets aren't unlimited.

And when people in the northeast were freaking out about category 1 hurricanes, the south was making fun of them. I've never lived in the south but really it's all about what your area is most prepared for. State, county, and city budgets aren't unlimited.
Yup. Why would Atlanta buy and maintain more snow ploughs when they are above seventy degrees most of the time? Better to just shut down one day every two or three years than invest in that at a time of austerity.

The rocksalt investment is a lot different, as are the taxes. Hence all the NY accents in the mid-Atlantic.

Ice is also a lot heavier than snow.

HCSS said it best about the South: #softnosed

It was the ice today. My son in Winston Salem lost his power, and tens of thousands did. We don't do too well with ice up here, either. Or downed trees. Weirdly, the winter weather shifted this year so that the mid-Atlantic suffered far more than central New York did.

More like 100s of thousands were without power in Guilford and Forsyth Counties alone... many in the Colisuem area. Because of downed trees and powerlines many will still not have power today. Thankfully for them it will be in the 60s today.

What often happens down here is we get rain/sleet changing to snow with falling temps. Those combined are a perfect recipe for black ice. No one drives well on black ice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom