took my son to Hawkeye game last night | Syracusefan.com

took my son to Hawkeye game last night

FireballPhil

2nd String
vs Penn St. Watched Iowa pull out a victory at home. Penn St. was able to go on spurts to start each half, to only grow cold quickly. Iowa was in control most of the rest of the halves. It did so with only mediocre ball handling and serious lack of an inside game. Missed free throws late caused the game to be a lot closer than it actually was. Also, a ton of fouls, as both teams were in the double bonus in the second half with almost 8 minutes yet to play in the game. A few bad calls by the officials as is always the case. I really liked Iowa's defense most of the game, they played a fairly tight man to man, and switched off very seemlessly on set screens. Overall, a good game from a very young team.

A few funnier notes from the game:
  • for tomcat, they only had two tubas in the band
  • there were as many dropped passes by the team as there were girl cheerleaders dropped by their male counterparts
  • during introductions, after every Penn St player was named, the student section yelled out "sucks"
  • After one particularly bad call, the student section started a chant that reverberated throughout the entire arena, it was "bullshit"
  • hot dogs were not heated, especially bad since the weather was well below zero outside with a bad windchill
raised my son to be a Syracuse fan, but he was born in Iowa City and therefore loves the Hawkeyes as well. Was a fun game to watch, but fail to see how if these teams are indicative of what the big 10 is about, how they stand to make any noise at all come tournament time.

but fail to see how if these teams are indicative of what the big 10 is about, how they stand to make any noise at all come tournament time.
Don't think those teams are indicative of making any noise come tourney time, except in front of their tv's.

Nice recap. It's a shame Iowa's been down for so long - Carver-Hawkeye is one of my favorite places to watch a game.

Iowa has a chance of playing in that tournament that has Pitt as its defending champions.

At the risk of sounding like an ahole, Why did you give us that recap?

Is there an inside joke that I am missing? 2 posters seem to be sincere thanking you for the recap.

This is 1 of the strangest threads I have ever seen on here, but at least it isnt regarding MCW playing status.

Question about the hot dogs. Were they heated at one time and allowed to get cold, or were they never heated in the first place? Also, were they served in buns and with condiments, or were they just handed to you?

Is there an inside joke that I am missing? 2 posters seem to be sincere thanking you for the recap.

This is 1 of the strangest threads I have ever seen on here, but at least it isnt regarding MCW playing status.

Some of us enjoy reading things like this.

Some of us enjoy reading things like this.

I still have no clue if you're being serious.

I feel like I am in the twilight zone right now.

The subject was pretty clear. No need to read if you aren't interested.

I still have no clue if you're being serious.

I feel like I am in the twilight zone right now.

lol, im serious.
You have alot of people here who love college basketball, and enjoy hearing recaps of other teams. You have people who like stories about other stadiums.. Now I know not to get a hotdog in Iowa! You even have people who like to know how many tubas are in the band! and damnit, my wifes grandmother went to Iowa, huge hawkeyes fan. I didnt even know they were playing PSU last night, now I can email her, and have some talking points.

We have a whole thread that is recaping air plane rides lol. Nobody takes issue with people talking what they are drinking on the basketball board, or me talking about Alaska on the basketball board. I think someone talking about basketball on the basketball board would be ok.

The subject was pretty clear. No need to read if you aren't interested.

So it is a legit post? That's really all I was wondering. I'm not mad... just thought it may have been some sort of inside joke that I wasn't in on.

But since you brought up the point, the subject isnt all that clear because this is a Syracuse basketball forum - I assumed it would have a slight Syracuse twist to it.

So it is a legit post? That's really all I was wondering. I'm not mad... just thought it may have been some sort of inside joke that I wasn't in on.

But since you brought up the point, the subject isnt all that clear because this is a Syracuse basketball forum - I assumed it would have a slight Syracuse twist to it.
Yes it is a legit post. I found it interesting because my dad went to Iowa and I'm a huge Hawkeye too as a result. Most people on here might not find it that interesting other than if you are interested in other game day environments etc. There are a lot of threads on here about non-Syracuse games -mostly games on tv that night. I don't read most of them.

Didn't mean to jump on you if it sounded like I did with my first post.

It is about college basketball. It is about a parent bonding with a kid over college basketball. It was posted by a longtime, thoughtful poster who doesn't post here often enough. He can't take his kid to the dome or to MSG ... like many here post about...because he lives in Iowa! With all the asinine or off-topic posts that appear here... why in the world did you decide to pick on that one? (We've just had two long threads about snowmobiling, for gosh sakes!).

It is about college basketball. It is about a parent bonding with a kid over college basketball. It was posted by a longtime, thoughtful poster who doesn't post here often enough. He can't take his kid to the dome or to MSG ... like many here post about...because he lives in Iowa! With all the asinine or off-topic posts that appear here... why in the world did you decide to pick on that one? (We've just had two long threads about snowmobiling this week, for gosh sakes!).

I didn't mean to pick on it. It was just so random - I seriously couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.

I thought that I recognized the name, but figured I was wrong when I saw s/he had only posted 22 times.

My apologies if i did actually sound like an ahole (which I warned about in my op)... I really didn't mean to.

I didn't mean to pick on it. It was just so random - I seriously couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.

I thought that I recognized the name, but figured I was wrong when I saw s/he had only posted 22 times.

My apologies if i did actually sound like an ahole (which I warned about in my op)... I really didn't mean to.

images

vs Penn St. Watched Iowa pull out a victory at home. Penn St. was able to go on spurts to start each half, to only grow cold quickly. Iowa was in control most of the rest of the halves. It did so with only mediocre ball handling and serious lack of an inside game. Missed free throws late caused the game to be a lot closer than it actually was. Also, a ton of fouls, as both teams were in the double bonus in the second half with almost 8 minutes yet to play in the game. A few bad calls by the officials as is always the case. I really liked Iowa's defense most of the game, they played a fairly tight man to man, and switched off very seemlessly on set screens. Overall, a good game from a very young team.

• there were as many dropped passes by the team as there were girl cheerleaders dropped by their male counterparts
  • during introductions, after every Penn St player was named, the student section yelled out "sucks"
  • After one particularly bad call, the student section started a chant that reverberated throughout the entire arena, it was "bullshit"
  • hot dogs were not heated, especially bad since the weather was well below zero outside with a bad windchill
raised my son to be a Syracuse fan, but he was born in Iowa City and therefore loves the Hawkeyes as well. Was a fun game to watch, but fail to see how if these teams are indicative of what the big 10 is about, how they stand to make any noise at all come tournament time.

Saw some highlights on TV. We were big Fran McCaffery fans when he was at Siena and have been hoping for him to get to Iowa to the next level. It's a great spot for him but he needs to start pulling in some better recruits and pull off some upsets. I don't know much about that area, but I would guess the fans would go gaga over a winning team.

As someone who spent many years living in Iowa City - all I can say is, get your son help! Soon!

Hawkeyes suck. Big 10 sucks. Save him - no divided loyalties!!!! Plus, you'll have to look at those yellow and black t-shirts in your own home! :)

Has Iowa basketball done anything since the Tom Davis days?

was he having trouble sleeping or something?

Has Iowa basketball done anything since the Tom Davis days?

They lost a first round game as a #3 seed to #14 Northwestern St. a couple years ago.

They lost a first round game as a #3 seed to #14 Northwestern St. a couple years ago.

That was a while ago - they've sucked for a bit now. Good memory though, that was a great game with an exciting ending (especially enjoyable for non-Iowa fans!)

I haven't posted much on here for a couple reasons. One is I have been working 7 days a week for almost a year. I read the board daily , but since I don't get to watch many games, just follow them via the ESPN gamecast on my phone, I don't have much to comment on. Secondly, I refuse to get involved with all the insane player bashings that goes on in many of the threads. These are 18-24 year old kids who are playing a game while getting an education. They are not professionals who get paid for their work and can dedicate their entire day(or night too if they desire) to developing basketball skills. NCAA regulates the amount of practice time each team is allowed. There are many on this board who forget that.

Some of the responses of this post only goes to show why people don't post as much as they should/could. I have always viewed some of the posters here as part of an extended family, and just like all families there are some family members who are malcontents and miscreants. Most of those I have learned who you are, and yes just skip over your posts.

FWIW, I am a he. I was raised in Colosse, NY, which is why I am a SU fan. I have since lived in El Paso, Tx and watched the WAC conference play ball, lived in NC where the ACC reigns supreme, and now in Iowa, where Big 10/ Big 12 reign supreme. I will always be a Big East guy at heart, even with the upcoming breakup. I watched to many games, loved and hated to many outcomes, built my basketball thinking around the rivalries of the 80' and 90's Big East to be any different. As we move to the ACC, I have mixed feelings about this. Although I wish we could just go back to the Big East of the old, I realize that is not going to happen, so grudgingly accept the fact that we are going to a conference that was our greatest conference rival for a number of years.

My son has embraced the Hawkeyes, for which I can not blame him. They have had a decent football team during his lifetime, and the basketball program is on the rise. They will be a force if Fran keeps things going in the direction he has them moving. My son knows I will always root for SU first and always, and he does as well as long as it is not against Iowa.I am fine with that, as this is where he is from. He was born in Iowa City at the college hospital. He was a Hawkeye at birth.

But now, onward and upward, let us move on to today's game versus Pitt! LGO!!!!

Nice recap. It's a shame Iowa's been down for so long - Carver-Hawkeye is one of my favorite places to watch a game.

Hilton Coliseum is a much better venue than Carver-Hawkeye. The two are not even comparable. OP should take a drive to Ames with his kid the Cyclones are way cooler!

ISU>Iowa. Don't recall Iowa gifting us Wesley Johnson (and effectively vaulting the program to elite status which is what the Johnson season did.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom