Toughest tourny loss since 2009? | Syracusefan.com

Toughest tourny loss since 2009?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
i considerr 2009-2014 the 2nd golden age of cuse hoops. What's your toughest tourny loss during that time? Throw in last year too. Here's the losses in case you forgot.

2009 Oklahoma sweet 16
2010 butler sweet 16
2011 marquette 2nd round
2012 Ohio state elite 8
2013 Michigan final 4
2014 Dayton 2nd round
2016 North Carolina final 4

For me it's very close between 2010 and 2013 (even though I was at the 2012 loss in Boston). I'm gonna go with butler just cause I loved that team so much and felt like we could still win it all after Kansas lost and we dismantled gonzaga. 1 of worst boeheim decisions of all time was going stall ball once we went up 4 with 5 minutes left. Played right into butlers hands.
2013 was brutal though, we would have had a legit shot to beat Louisville.

Michigan. The 2013 team could have won the title. We were lesser teams without Arinze/Fab in 10 and 12.

'13. I was at the game. Michigan fans are a bunch of old obnoxious men and frat bros.

Triche won us the game and the refs took it away and handed it to Michigan.

We would've beaten Louisville imo.

What an uplifting thread!!

I will go with the Butler game or the Michigan game. I thought we could beat Louisville in 2013. I knew 2010 would be an issue without AO, but we were #1A in the country prior to that injury. I would be unhappy after any loss.

Butler easily.

I think some forget that Triches drive was to tie, UM, would get the last possession, and we'd be going into OT with all our guards minus Cooney in foul trouble.

I'd have to go Ohio State or Michigan. Oklahoma and North Carolina were just better than us those years imho. We were already trending downward when the Dayton game came up so I wasn't shocked by that.

But either way, it's like asking would you like to get punched in the face or kicked between the legs.

I don't know. The Butler one probably. We should have won if not for a crazy bounce, and obvious discard of Kris Jo. With AO we win it all, but still make it to Duke probably if we win that.

2013 sucked though. One more shot at Louisville seemed destined. Then MCW can't score, and one of the worst charge calls ever ruins the game.

2012 sucked, as the refs hosed us. We probably don't beat Kentucky without Fab, but should have been there.

It's a tossup. 2013, I guess. We were minutes away from the Championship game against an inferior team.

Butler easily.

I think some forget that Triches drive was to tie, UM, would get the last possession, and we'd be going into OT with all our guards minus Cooney in foul trouble.
Was it to tie with the layup or the "should have been" And1?

I would say Michigan then followed very closely by Ohio State and Butler.

I would go with Dayton loss. First year in ACC we started 25-0 (ranked 1 or 2 in country for 11 weeks) and finished the season losing 6 of 9. I went to Maui for tourney and basically sat in the huddle. Felt like i was with the team that year. The dome was electric. Losing in the round of 32 was tough.

Michigan would be second. It seemed like destiny after we smothered Indiana but that teamed sucked at the end of the season and just got hot.

Would've been an and 1 which gives us the lead.

I thought I was losing my mind so I went and watched that play (lol thanks). It's at ninety minutes.

Were down 56-58 and Triches drives and gets fouled but missed the layup.

2010 Butler easily -- AO or not that team still could have won that year. Remember what they did to a good Gonzaga team the round before. That was not a strong field that year. This was before Butler became the darlings they have become, so it was a shock to lose to them, especially when they barely got by Murray State the round before.

2013 Michigan - It hurt, but they played so badly in the first half they should have never put themselves in that predicament. MCW was awful in that game. Yeah, the refs were screwy late in that game, but that team was so offensively challenged I just don't know. But that D was good enough to win a title the way they were going.

2012 Ohio State -- Again, still could have made the FF that year even though they had no shot against UK without Fab. But the refs in that game -- just unspeakably bad and biased.

I guess the Dayton loss next, but that team was pretty much done already -- never recovered after that BC loss (and to me really after the way too hyped Duke game at home), so while they should have won that game, it was clear at that point the team wasn't winning anything. The worst part about that year to me is that team was talented enough to win the whole thing -- issues and all. That was one of the weakest fields ever. A team with Ennis, Grant, Christmas, Fair, Cooney etc was good enough to cut down the nets considering who came out of their regions and who actually won it all.

Ohio St.

The team was loaded that year and my grandmother (who I was very close to and watched a TON of SU games with) passed away during the game. Literally about a minute after the game ended, I got the call that she had passed. Not a good night...

Ohio St.

The team was loaded that year and my grandmother (who I was very close to and watched a TON of SU games with) passed away during the game. Literally about a minute after the game ended, I got the call that she had passed. Not a good night...

My condolences. Our connection to the team, to the game, to the sport... transcends wins and losses.

For me it is Butler #1 and Ohio State #2. That Butler loss was absolutely disgusting and still pains me, banked in 3s and the suplex it had it all. Then Ohio State where they fouled Dion out in 20 minutes and we had more fouls called against us than in any game since the 6OT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom