Towson over Hopkins | Syracusefan.com

Towson over Hopkins

Don't worry, LaxPower.com will still have the Blue Jays number 1 in their computer rankings.

First time since 1996

Dame the game wasn't televised I don't think, would have loved to have seen that. Towson played SU fairly close in there scrimmage a few weeks ago, still a huge upset. Guess JHU isn't quite back yet.

Dame the game wasn't televised I don't think, would have loved to have seen that. Towson played SU fairly close in there scrimmage a few weeks ago, still a huge upset. Guess JHU isn't quite back yet.
On our board someone said that Towson used a lot of zone defense and JHU couldn't get many good looks.

I caught the majority of the 2nd half on Towson's website. Was obviously a very defensive affair but cool to see nonetheless. Hopkins made zero offensive adjustments. Baffling the way they run that program with all the talent they recruit.

Plus a late Hopkins cheap shot after the final horn topped it off. They were very frustrated. Hopefully the guy gets suspended for next game. Was right in front of the ref.

The game was shown on the Towson Athletics site, I watched a little bit, Towson looked very strong, big team with skilled players, They played a lot of Zone against the Hop offense, they made them shoot from the outside and White in goal for the tigers did a great job.

To be honest Towson should have scored more but Schneider was a wall in the last quarter!

#1 for Hopkins SSDM took a cheap shot at a Tigers player at the end of the game when he was launching the ball into the air as time ran out.

I watched High Point vs UNC also, UNC ran out to be eventual winners but I have been really impressed with High Point they are an intense team, they have a great attack with Thistle running the show, they have a solid Goalie and their face off man Piluso won 20 from 28 face-offs!!!! he's been great in all the games ive seen including when they played Duke!

Last edited:
I thought Hopkins would step up this year but they are missing something, I think they may need a coaching change (I would say that hate Petro as a coach and Hopkins for that matter), something just isnt there for them. They recruit talent like Dismuke etc and they are flashy players, they have to change their game and are stifled!

There was a lot of buzz when Towson forced out Tony Seaman a couple of years ago. Yet after a quick look at current head coach Shawn Nedelen's bio, I noticed that he lead Towson to their second consecutive winning season in 2014. This was something that had not been done there since 2006&2007. Maybe it was the right move? There is a lot of resistance among the old guard to have lacrosse move up the ladder into the coaching hot seat realities of Division 1. There was outrage when Richie Meade, Dave Cottle, and Tony Seaman were fired. The thing is sports at the collegiate level is a business. Towson gets some real local benefit from being one of the premier programs in Baltiless. Maybe Petro is not far behind another losing season there and people will quickly forget the past glory. When was the last time Hop was in the final four?

There was a lot of buzz when Towson forced out Tony Seaman a couple of years ago. Yet after a quick look at current head coach Shawn Nedelen's bio, I noticed that he lead Towson to their second consecutive winning season in 2014. This was something that had not been done there since 2006&2007. Maybe it was the right move? There is a lot of resistance among the old guard to have lacrosse move up the ladder into the coaching hot seat realities of Division 1. There was outrage when Richie Meade, Dave Cottle, and Tony Seaman were fired. The thing is sports at the collegiate level is a business. Towson gets some real local benefit from being one of the premier programs in Baltiless. Maybe Petro is not far behind another losing season there and people will quickly forget the past glory. When was the last time Hop was in the final four?
Last Hop FF was 2008

On our board someone said that Towson used a lot of zone defense and JHU couldn't get many good looks.

Zone D is becoming the go to D for underdog teams going up against higher powered offensives. Bryant did it to us last year (though Syracuse did have it on the ropes in the 4th but Waldt was unreal) with a lot of success and obviously Towson really shut down JHU, 5 goals wow.

I suspect higher echelon teams ie the Duke's, SU's, ND, UNC, Denver etc will continue to see more zone defenses moving forward until they prove they can beat them.

I caught the majority of the 2nd half on Towson's website. Was obviously a very defensive affair but cool to see nonetheless. Hopkins made zero offensive adjustments. Baffling the way they run that program with all the talent they recruit.

Plus a late Hopkins cheap shot after the final horn topped it off. They were very frustrated. Hopefully the guy gets suspended for next game. Was right in front of the ref.

Hopkins from where they were under Petro in the late 90's to early 2000's has completely fallen off the map. JHU hasn't made the final four since 2008 ( an eternity for that type of program) and two years ago they didnt make the tourney period. They have had a big problem with highly rated offensive guys not panning out. Offensively they also seem to have issues with developing players over four years. If you look at the Ranagan/Greeley class they seemed to actually regress as they became upper classmen, baffling stuff.

JHU also isnt nearly as physical as they once were and have had major issues with turnovers and losing the ground ball battle the past few years. They moved to a motion offense two years ago in anticipation of the Shack Stanwick class which is pretty loaded offensively but they have still struggled to score points on a consistent basis. They had better get the ship right this year because they graduate like 90% of their starting D including the goalie and there top faceoff guy.

Zone D is becoming the go to D for underdog teams going up against higher powered offensives. Bryant did it to us last year (though Syracuse did have it on the ropes in the 4th but Waldt was unreal) with a lot of success and obviously Towson really shut down JHU, 5 goals wow.

I suspect higher echelon teams ie the Duke's, SU's, ND, UNC, Denver etc will continue to see more zone defenses moving forward until they prove they can beat them.

Its the same in soccer pretty much, the less talented team get men behind the ball and make it hard for the opposition to breakdown, it levels the playing field but is sometimes frustrating to watch for the purist!

I watched High Point vs UNC also, UNC ran out to be eventual winners but I have been really impressed with High Point they are an intense team, they have a great attack with Thistle running the show, they have a Goalie and their face off man Piluso won 20 from 28 face-offs!!!! he's been great in all the games ive seen including when they played Duke!
He transferred there from UVa.

Hopkins from where they were under Petro in the late 90's to early 2000's has completely fallen off the map. JHU hasn't made the final four since 2008 ( an eternity for that type of program) and two years ago they didnt make the tourney period. They have had a big problem with highly rated offensive guys not panning out. Offensively they also seem to have issues with developing players over four years. If you look at the Ranagan/Greeley class they seemed to actually regress as they became upper classmen, baffling stuff.

JHU also isnt nearly as physical as they once were and have had major issues with turnovers and losing the ground ball battle the past few years. They moved to a motion offense two years ago in anticipation of the Shack Stanwick class which is pretty loaded offensively but they have still struggled to score points on a consistent basis. They had better get the ship right this year because they graduate like 90% of their starting D including the goalie and there top faceoff guy.

True. The Blue Jays were a constant final four team but had not won the national title since 1987. Petro brought them two 2005 & 2007. Yet as you astutely pointed out the last few years have been a disaster. If they either flame out and don't make the tourney or flame out like they did last year there will be some real heat on the AD to move on pairing the programs all time winningest coach!

They need to move on from Bobby Benson. Guy just isn't the answer for them.

Come to think of it, it's better for everyone else if they keep him there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom