Tranghese Hopes Boeheim Never Coaches in ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tranghese Hopes Boeheim Never Coaches in ACC

Explain to me again what Tranghese did to lower the stature of the league from a basketball perspective?

One thing I love about these articles is that they acknowledge the reality that Syracuse is the Big East's flagship. Uconn has been more successful in basketball and wvu has 3 BCS wins since the 2005 season, but Syracuse is the school the conference could not afford to lose. I would think our parochial friends along with those in Storrs and Morgantown hate hearing that.

It's too bad the Big East didn't do more to protect us, like that acknowledgement by Tranghese that he didn't really fight that hard to get us a bowl game one year. Instead of doing everything he could to ensure the survival of Providence College, the Big East should have looked at football as something more than a necessary nuisance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Love your avatar. Oranjeboom is like the Bud Light of Amsterdam. What I wouldn't do for a case of that to be sold in the States!

Yep, it's dang good beer and getting harder and harder to find here for some reason.

Zagoria is quoting from a NY Times article this morning on the history and current state of the BE. It's a very good read. Trained Monkey is quoted extensively in the piece and there is a lot of revisionist history going on there. My favorite quote is when he's asked something like, "if you had to do it over again knowing everything you do now and that FB was the real driving $$$ force what would you do ? Trained Monkey says "I have no idea". I actually spit out my Apple Jacks laughing when I read that. Told me everything I needed to know right there.

Yes, but it's a loaded question. It's like, "Do you still beat your wife?" No good way to answer it. He would be implying that he doesn't like what he has coming in, if he says anything accurate. "I have no idea is not much of an answer though." Probably best if he just said "The Big East has always been strong and always will be. No point in looking backward."

I am sorry, but I take it as a compliment. From that quote, I take it as he is saying that JB is Big East basketball, as JC, JT II, Carnessca, etc... It is hard to imagine them playing any different style basketball other than the hard nosed, blue collar, nail biting, on the edge of your seat death matches that we have had the privilege to enjoy over the years, and I consider SU the flagship of BE basketball.

Yes, it would/will be weird at first if/when any of these coaches coach in any other league other than the BE. It was and probably will always be the greatest league in the history of college basketball which I doubt could ever be duplicated. I would almost compare JB in the ACC to Washington going to be the general and president of the French, I think both would/will be very successful but it just seems, well," foreign". I think if he was being completely negative he would want JB to drop dead before winning the BE tournament and not want JB to ride into the sunset on top with winning the NC and cement his career with the likes of the great for-mentioned BE coaches. JB and Cuse are the BE well..., until we go take over the ACC. :cool:

Interesting hypothetical though ... if you were offered it today, would you take a guaranteed Nat'l Championship right now if it meant JB retires?

I think I would if it meant beating UK in the final game.

nope

I don't need any deal-with-the-devil guarantees, because I know that our HOF coach has it in him to get another one on his own terms, even if it doesn't happen this year.

I wish Tranghese hadn't "commissionered" the Big East into oblivion.

nope

I don't need any deal-with-the-devil guarantees, because I know that our HOF coach has it in him to get another couple championships on his own terms starting this year.

fixed that one for you Mr. Second Weekend......;)

That comment just confirms once again what a loser Trained-geese is. Nobody is more responsible for the decline and undoing of the Big East than that moron.
If you read the whole article, you'll notice the bit about how the basketball schools (St John's, GT and Nova mentioned) blocked the Penn State invitation. And that Tranghese basically told Gavitt at that time that the league would rue the day they made that decision. The story may well be true, as Tranghese has been telling it for years, maybe back to the 2003 raid and before. (I'm not sure it happened in 1989; wasn't it earlier?)

If true, this would absolve him of some of the blame, but he certainly had it in his power after he became commissioner in '90 to take steps to insure the stability of the football league. In any case, a bastardized coalition like the Big East was doomed to failure. Some sort of a friendly split should have been negotiated 15 years ago.

Not only do I hope that JB coaches in the ACC, I hope he raises a conference trophy or an ACC tourney trophy before he retires.

What has been so wrong with the BE is that its leadership is so stubborn. I can name countless examples (as can most people) of loyalty getting in the way of sound business decisions. "This is the way we have been doing things for X number of years and this is the way we should continue to operate" is a phrase that becomes a death sentence at some point in the future. That mentality ALWAYS fails. There is nothing "nimble" about the executives of the BE conference. Marinatto may be younger than Tranghese but the mentality comes from Gavitt which isnt even relevant today.

Its a shame. I know many businesses that have failed after decades of success because the 2nd or 3rd generation family members tried to follow the same recipe for success. As Bob Dylan wrote, "And you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone for the times they are a-changin'"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom