Transfer admissions, how does the process work? | Syracusefan.com

Transfer admissions, how does the process work?

kismet35

Walk On
Just curious how the transfer admission process works. I feel like many of these top tier college athletes can transfer to any school without issue. Take for instance Tucker transferring to Georgetown and assuming he got admitted into McDonough School of Business. I know that the admission window for that school closed on 4/26/2022 (4th round). Do the coaches have special privileges within admissions etc?

Just curious how the transfer admission process works. I feel like many of these top tier college athletes can transfer to any school without issue. Take for instance Tucker transferring to Georgetown and assuming he got admitted into McDonough School of Business. I know that the admission window for that school closed on 4/26/2022 (4th round). Do the coaches have special privileges within admissions etc?
they do for undergrad. don't know about grad.

I guess I'm one of those people that can admit a grad applicant to a graduate program. The process all starts when the coach calls the graduate program director and asks us to meet with the student with or without the parents. The incoming grad applicant, has to:

1. Apply to a specific graduate program i.e. MBA, Masters in Information Management, Computer Science etc.
2. Have a certified undergraduate degree (BA, BS) and meets the master's program pre reqs
3. Meet the program's GPA and GRE requirements
4. Determine who pays the tutition (either athletic dept or the grad school)
5. Be interviewed to make sure the student is a good fit and plans to finish the program.

Masters program directors want serious students that have the capacity to finish the program and that they represent the university well after graduation. However, there is some wiggle room on some of the requirements (like waiving the GREs) and my colleagues in some of the other grad programs are less accomodating. I have found that the student athletes have been better students. They tend to work harder and have much better time management skills.

Edit - final thought, graduate students are not considered transfers, since they enter a grad program at the beginning. Very rare to have a student start a grad program by transferring grad credits from another institution.

Last edited:
I think I was remiss in not answering Kismet's question "Do coaches have special privileges within admissions etc?"

Undergraduate admissions are are made at university level and coaches can and do have influence advocating for a student with the director of admissions. If a student athlete meets the minimum academic requirements they will usually get admitted. Worst case, there may be some some remedial course work required over the summer. Some undergrad programs are more selective, like programs in Whitman and Newhouse. So a student athlete may get admitted to SU, but may not initially get the academic program they want. But if their GPA is good enough, they can usually transfer to their desired program after their freshman year.

At the grad level, the coaches need to deal with the program directors (faculty responsible for grad admissions) for each grad program. There are dozens of grad programs so a coach has to deal with the director of the program that the student wants (or parent.) Yes, some coaches have influence with some program directors, but not others. The more selective grad programs have less wiggle room and the coach may not be able to move the needle and other less selective grad programs the coaches are welcomed with open arms; especially if the athletic dept is paying most or all of the tuition. And as you suspect, deals are made all the time, but rarely do we ever get a student that doesn't academically belong at the university.

So, yes coaches have a great deal of influence and they are reasonable and fun to work with.

I think I was remiss in not answering Kismet's question "Do coaches have special privileges within admissions etc?"

Undergraduate admissions are are made at university level and coaches can and do have influence advocating for a student with the director of admissions. If a student athlete meets the minimum academic requirements they will usually get admitted. Worst case, there may be some some remedial course work required over the summer. Some undergrad programs are more selective, like programs in Whitman and Newhouse. So a student athlete may get admitted to SU, but may not initially get the academic program they want. But if their GPA is good enough, they can usually transfer to their desired program after their freshman year.

At the grad level, the coaches need to deal with the program directors (faculty responsible for grad admissions) for each grad program. There are dozens of grad programs so a coach has to deal with the director of the program that the student wants (or parent.) Yes, some coaches have influence with some program directors, but not others. The more selective grad programs have less wiggle room and the coach may not be able to move the needle and other less selective grad programs the coaches are welcomed with open arms; especially if the athletic dept is paying most or all of the tuition. And as you suspect, deals are made all the time, but rarely do we ever get a student that doesn't academically belong at the university.

So, yes coaches have a great deal of influence and they are reasonable and fun to work with.
Great insight, thanks!

1653964596719.jpeg