Transition Scoring | Syracusefan.com

Transition Scoring

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Are there stats for how many opportunities we are getting in transition and how many of those opportunities we are actually converting as opposed to prior seasons? I feel like we are not getting as many points in transition, but sometimes my feelings don't come close to resembling reality or might specifically be negatively prejudiced by the Temple game.

I also wonder if what people are perceiving as our guards not humping it back on defense might be a result of their hanging in a little too long on the offensive boards or failed efforts to press an opponent?

Last years transition was started from a lot of Fab's blocks. Our wings don't seem to get as many anticipation steals as last year.

I also wonder if what people are perceiving as our guards not humping it back on defense might be a result of their hanging in a little too long on the offensive boards or failed efforts to press an opponent?

I would say yes to both of those. The rebounding thing is a positive development. Those gambles in pressing a guy in an open-court situation don't seem as successful.

There's also been a fair bit of players turning their backs to the ball and jogging down court. To be sure, though, the willingness of Mike and Triche to crash the offensive glass has contributed to some struggles in defending transition. I'd hesitate to call that a bad thing. Just a trade-off.

I'm bumping this because I wanted to watch yesterday's game before responding. Good transition offense is 99% based on defense. Yesterday in the first half I think we played the best defense we have played all year and it lead to the 21pt run. That is the type of run that made last years team great. Rak was the best I have seen him on the defensive end (at the 4) and when the center plays well in the zone it really allows the wings to extend which leads to steals and transition buckets.

I know Rutgers sucks but we beat them by 25 and it wasn't that close and it was largely do to defense and transition points. The exciting things are defense and transition offense are very reliable and portable aspects on the game. That is not to say that we do need to continue to improve in the half court, but what it does mean is while this team continues to improve in the half court we have a defense and transition game that can and will win games for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom