Trevor Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Trevor Cooney

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Someone explain why no minutes in second half? JB's substitution patterns are bizarre.

I don't care what kind of shape Brandon and MCW are in, a few minutes at the 10 minute mark to spell your starters for a bit is extremely important, even moreso when TC is playing well.

Our guards have been poor on defense late second half. What is TC good at? Aggressive defense.

Bump. Don't want this to get buried, I'm extremely curious for an explanation.

He played great today. Boeheim's afraid that Cooney would continue to play well and he'd have to sit his son Brandon. Then he'd have a guard controversy on his hands.

I feel really bad for Cooney ... he's not getting treated fairly.

Cooney has played very well the past two games. Against G'town he shot twice, both of them being very good shots. Against Marquette he got three very good shots off, plus the two assists. I don't get why he doesn't play.

the same with playing BMK 14 consecutive mins when he was obviously winded. His substitution patterns have always been bizarre at best.

Such is life as a Syracuse fan, isn't it? Nearly impossible to understand JB - we get little insight from him about things, and certainly he would never take the blame or admit a mistake. His record speaks for itself, but still - you cannot help but scratch your head sometimes.

I just would love to know what he is thinking. I don't doubt that Coach has his reasons for everthing he does - I just want to see things through his eyes. Heck - I'd love to know what the assistant coaches are thinking - do they question his moves or lack of moves?

TC, in my view, earned some run in the second half based on his work on the defensive end in the first half. It also sometimes helps BT and MCW see the game better from the bench for a minute or two.

Such is life as a Syracuse fan, isn't it? Nearly impossible to understand JB - we get little insight from him about things, and certainly he would never take the blame or admit a mistake. His record speaks for itself, but still - you cannot help but scratch your head sometimes.

I just would love to know what he is thinking. I don't doubt that Coach has his reasons for everthing he does - I just want to see things through his eyes. Heck - I'd love to know what the assistant coaches are thinking - do they question his moves or lack of moves?

TC, in my view, earned some run in the second half based on his work on the defensive end in the first half. It also sometimes helps BT and MCW see the game better from the bench for a minute or two.

Marquette had 8 guys over 16 minutes. They kept their guards fresh, if you (not you directly of course) don't think that plays a roll in the late game turnovers when our guards have been playing the entire second half and they haven't, you're kidding yourself.

His substitution patterns just seem so rigid and formulaic most of the time.

OK, Cooney got his two first-half minutes for each of the guards; we've checked that off the list; let's move on.

Raise your hand if your eyes are fixed on Cooney the entire time he's on the floor. I think I have a serious problem and I want to make sure I'm not the only one.

I do, only because I like to see him come off a screen and see him get open. He has the potential to hit a few threes per game if given the chance.

Dosn't JB always adamantly state that these kids can play 40 minutes regularly? I mean I think he's wrong but he is just freaking stubborn with that scenario.

We were a +10 in the first half with Cooney on the floor. Why he came out at all was kind of strange - we then got BT's awful three, followed by a four point play on the other end, and bam - big lead gone.

I have no idea why he couldn't get some token minutes in the second half.

Hes simply not ready to contribute much this year. He showed us flashes with his 5 threes one game. This experience will pay dividends next season. He will be mentally prepared and know what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I truly do think that in due time, he's going to be a very good player for us. This isn't his time, but he should have played more tonight.

I like a lot of the things that he does on the court. People have this perception that he's strictly a shooter and that he's a sucky shooter at the moment. He's struggling mightily with his shot (I still think he's simply rushing his shot when he gets into game situations, and I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but I'd really like him to try warming up without a long sleeve shirt for just one game. I know it probably won't make any sense, but I swear that warming up with a long sleeve shirt and then trying to shoot in game with all of your adrenaline going and not wearing any sleeves makes a difference. I know I'm crazy for thinking that, but I approached every high school game that I ever played in that way and I still think that it's a big reason that I shot over 50% from 3 point range for my career).

I'm sorry that I went off on a tangent there, but anyways, he's struggled mightily with his shot so far this year, but I think people underrate his ball-handling and passing ability for a guy that's thought of as strictly a shooter. I think he's going to surprise a lot of outsiders before he graduates from Syracuse, and he definitely has the look of somebody like Ryan Nassib, that might not be the most physically gifted guy, but you can count on the fact that he's going to work his ass off and get every little bit out of his body that he can.

Raise your hand if your eyes are fixed on Cooney the entire time he's on the floor. I think I have a serious problem and I want to make sure I'm not the only one.

Me. Me. Hand up. He's a whirling dervish. A skittish cat. I like it.

We were a +10 in the first half with Cooney on the floor. Why he came out at all was kind of strange - we then got BT's awful three, followed by a four point play on the other end, and bam - big lead gone.

I have no idea why he couldn't get some token minutes in the second half.
That lead was gone in a New York minute!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom