Triche will be drafted | Syracusefan.com

Triche will be drafted

Quazzum69

Stable Genius
How could any team pass up such a player? He's been a starter and major contributor on one of the best teams for the past four years whilst playing beside three guards that will be or have been drafted ... no big deal or anything. In conference play, he's leading the team in scoring and is shooting 50 % from the field (38.7 3ptFG - leads the team) and 83 % from the FT line. Is he a point guard? A shooting guard? I don't know for sure but he knows how to win (he's "responsible," at least in part, for 109 of Boeheim's 908 wins - that's 12%) and he's certainly built for the next level.

"Why would an NBA team pick a senior when Kentucky has so many youngsters to choose from?"
I don't know, but in the past six drafts there have been 116 seniors from the 290 or so college players drafted, the most of any class.

"...But they're probably mostly big men because they take longer to develop"
Actually, 43 of the 116 seniors drafted have been guards. The following number of senior guards were drafted in each of the past six years: 6, 8, 10, 3, 8 and 8.

It depends on the year - who's in the draft, the needs of the team - but I think it's safe to say that at least six senior guards will be drafted this year. Now, try to find six senior guards in the country who are significantly better than Triche. Are they one-dimensional players that can either shoot from half-court or are true ball-distributors? Probably. Does the NBA draft physical guards that are kind of jack-of-all trades ('tweeners,' if you will)?

I remember hearing about this Waiters guy (who's only 10 months younger than Triche) who was neither pure shooting guard nor pure point guard, but had the body and mind of a linebacker. I wonder how's he doing now? If Triche starts playing to his potential and displays aggressiveness, he will be drafted.

Is this debatable?

The knock on BT has been that he was real good, as a soph at JD, and came to SU physically strong and ready to start. Where was the potential to get better? He was 6 ft 4 and strong and very versatile -- but could he get quicker; could he get his own shot against a tough defender; would his jump shot accuracy improve or his range; would he add a mid-range game; could he defend the quicker guards in M2M; was he streaky or could he bring it every night?

I think he is proving something in the past 4 games. Always a good player, he is showing in recent games that he might have a new gear (thinking about those drives with acrobatic finishes) and range. He has NBA size. Mid-second round?

He might get a 2nd round shot.. he might not.

Plenty of very good college players never sniff the NBA. He won't be in the first round unless he has a crazy run to end the year, shooting lights out.

Some of these lefty finishes he's had have been Devo-esque.

I think he is proving something in the past 4 games. Always a good player, he is showing in recent games that he might have a new gear (thinking about those drives with acrobatic finishes) and range. He has NBA size. Mid-second round?

He might be proving something, or he might be having a good 4 games.

If he keeps this level of play up for the next 2 months, that's one thing. But if it just turns out to be a hot stretch, then he'll be in the same boat he's been in. Might get drafted, might not.

Go for it.
Here are five mock drafts that I have found (some newer than others) that don't have Brandon being drafted. I have yet to find one that has him drafted at all. Personally, I think Kris Joseph had more upside at this point in his senior season and was a better fit for the NBA game, and he was drafted 51st overall. Maybe Brandon does get drafted, but the NBA draft is a crapshoot, especially in the 2nd round. To say that he is definitely going to get drafted at this point is just wishful thinking. He's a good kid and he will get an opportunity somewhere.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21375653/nba-mock-draft-december-update-changes-aplenty
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/
http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft
http://prospect-central.blogspot.com/p/2013-nba-mock-draft.html#.UQK___WwUwt
http://nbadraftguru.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-nba-mock-draft_18.html

He might get a 2nd round shot.. he might not.

Plenty of very good college players never sniff the NBA. He won't be in the first round unless he has a crazy run to end the year, shooting lights out.

Agreed. 2nd round pick. ...I hope he gets a shot, but eh, he might want to explore Europe. He could be a terrific player in that environment

Triche could have an NBA career like Eric Snow...or he may never get a shot. I think they are very similar players, though.

I don't really see Triche going undrafted unless he has a bad injury. He has NBA size, decent shooting (NBA range? IDK), and athleticism. I'm not saying he'll have a big impact on the league (probably a journeyman at best) but he should get drafted.

I would argue that off guard is the hardest position to stick at in the NBA. There are just so many talented combo guards... most of the ones who do stick have that high elite talent. Teams would rather stick with the old and aging guys than take chances on fringe talents. Along with not having an elite talent, Brandon also comes out of 4 years of playing zone which will be a strike against him. It wouldnt be an issue if he were seen as an immense offensive talent..but he's not really on that list.

Brandon would have to hope to stick somewhere and just work his tail off akin to what Jared Dudley has done in Phoenix. Not necessarily good at any one thing, but a valuable jack of all trades who works really hard every day.

Brandon would have to hope to stick somewhere and just work his tail off akin to what Jared Dudley has done in Phoenix. Not necessarily good at any one thing, but a valuable jack of all trades who works really hard every day.

...and even then Dudley stays in the league because he's 6'6-7 and shoots like 40% from 3

If he can average between 15-20 pts a game from now on, I believe he will get a shot. He showed some hunger in the Cincy game that I haven't seen out of him, hope it continues.

On the nbadraft.net mock draft updated a few days ago, there are eight senior guards (two in the first round, six in the second). Five of those are from "major" conferences - I hate to be biased towards the "major" conferences (because there are really good teams outside of them and, clearly, some good players that get drafted) but maybe the comparison of Triche to a Kansas or Florida State player would be easier than South Dakota State (there really is a player on the mock draft from South Dakota State).

Here are some numbers for this season of some anonymous senior guards in the mock draft (Florida St., Baylor, Illinois, Kansas) and Triche. I don't know if these stats are completely appropriate or enough of the story but whatever. Guess which one is Triche.

Off. . FG% 3ptFG% FT% Assist% SPG TO%
102.2 40.7 40 79.8 18 1 24
96.2 39.9 34.7 78.1 29.1 0.9 27.5
106.4 41.8 34.1 72 19.8 1.3 18.8
111.8 41.8 36 78.8 34.1 1.8 19.3
111.5 45.3 33.7 72.6 20 1.5 19.8

I doubt he gets drafted. I'd be pretty surprised if he was tbh. He should be able to make a living for a bit playing ball though.