trouble for Ga.Tech | Syracusefan.com

trouble for Ga.Tech

2017-11-02_1837.png

Jackson, Okogie being held out for NCAA rules violations

Georgia Tech basketball players Tadric Jackson and Josh Okogie have been suspended from regular-season competition by the school for NCAA rules violations. The school determined that Jackson and Okogie, both starters and key members of the team, accepted preferential treatment in the form of apparel, meals and transportation. The school self-reported the violations and is awaiting the NCAA’s ruling on the length of the suspension.

As a result, neither player will make the team’s trip to Shanghai to play UCLA in the season opener Nov. 10.

According to the school’s findings, Jackson received benefits totaling less than $525. Okogie received benefits totaling less than $750. They received the benefits from the same individual, who was determined to be neither a Tech employee nor a booster.

Coach Josh Pastner first became aware of the violations in early October and immediately reported them to the athletic department’s compliance office. Less than a week later, the school’s compliance office determined that violations had occurred, declared them ineligible and contacted the NCAA.

The school is expected to make an announcement later Thursday evening. Pastner is expected to speak on the violations following the team’s exhibition game Thursday night against Faulkner at McCamish Pavilion.

They received the benefits from the same individual, who was determined to be neither a Tech employee nor a booster.
How could this person not be considered a booster? I mean, if he was giving things to basketball players...

wonder how it will work w Okogie already out w injury

At a minimum they should be suspended until Feb 1. I think I need to adjust my Iggy. I had our trip there as an L.

Less than $1300 total? What? This barely deserves a paragraph in the local newspaper.

After screwing up with UNCheat, this will give the NCAA a chance to even things out by putting GTECH on probation for a year and banning the players from ever playing again.

I'm in the group they shouldn't have self-reported and denied everything. It's honestly a much better route for any univesity to take, at least by denying it they have a good chance of skating past because NCAA enforcement is a crap shoot. And because we all know none of them have any damn integrity left when it comes to athletics, so they should honestly the stop with the song and dance.

The school self-reported the violations and is awaiting the NCAA’s ruling on the length of the suspension.
Haven't they learned anything?

As I recall, we were dinged because Dave Johnson ate dinner at his girl friend's house without paying her parents, who were SU alumni.

Penalized? They should banned for life.
NCAA President Mark Emmert was credited with nearly $1.9 million in total compensation during the 2014 calendar year, according to the association’s new federal tax return.

However, in terms of money actually paid in 2014, the association’s most highly compensated employee — by far — was now-former chief operating officer Jim Isch, who retired from that role late that year. He received more than $2.7 million in 2014, including more than $1.6 million in retirement and other deferred compensation.
We can't have the sanctity of amateur athletics be ruined by money.

NCAA is in a pickle now. They just let UNC, the school with largest organized academic fraud scandal in history, skate. Will they want the equally bad press of taking a firehose to an ant hill?

Last edited: