TT is the best pure | Syracusefan.com

TT is the best pure

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
basketball player we have had since Rautins, in terms of all around skills and basketball IQ. If you want to quibble with Ennis, I wouldn't fight too hard, but IMO, Andy was better than Ennis.
Kid plays like an old man, and as you know, in basketball, that's a compliment.

basketball player we have had since Rautins, in terms of all around skills and basketball IQ. If you want to quibble with Ennis, I wouldn't fight too hard, but IMO, Andy was better than Ennis.
I thought he was going to be someone who fell in love with his jump shot but what a pleasant surprise. Definitely old school Cuse style.

I think your assessment is a little over the top, but it is easy to understand your enthusiasm given his performance and passing tonight. For about 5 minutes late in the first half, he was in complete command of the court. He is on his way to getting more time on the floor.

He still has a ways to go on defense.

You like TT over Lydon?

was interesting when the espnU analyst (forget his name, but I think he does a pretty good job - generally knows his stuff and is articulate with it) made the point in the 2nd half how TT from the 5 spot was barking out defensive commands like a vet - that is also a very good development

You like TT over Lydon?
Different players. Lydon is a bit more versatile, but I don't think he sees the floor as well as TT, not is he as good of a passer.

Different players. Lydon is a bit more versatile, but I don't think he sees the floor as well as TT, not is he as good of a passer.

You chose TT and compared him to Rautins so figured it was meant to be wide open.

Lyon, last year, demonstrated an unbelievable feel for the game at the 3, 4 and 5 spots on both ends of the game. TT is a very impressive high low and offensive player and can rebound, whereas Lydon was blocking 4-5 shots aa game during the Madness run.

You chose TT and compared him to Rautins so figured it was meant to be wide open.

Lyon, last year, demonstrated an unbelievable feel for the game at the 3, 4 and 5 spots on both ends of the game. TT is a very impressive high low and offensive player and can rebound, whereas Lydon was blocking 4-5 shots aa game during the Madness run.
Love Lydon. Great skill set. Lottery pick. 10 year NBA guy. Maybe the best athlete on the team.
For me I just love how TT plays. He passes guys open. He never seems to be in a hurry. Great anticipation of how plays will develop. Great touch on passes.
For me, the term "basketball player" means the little, subtle things, not the explosive, obvious things.

Some players just get it and he seems to be one of them. I really appreciate some of his play in the zone yesterday because that was the position I played against zone defenses and it's all about quick passes, while maintaining composure and recognizing where the wings are down low.

My biggest issue(s) with him- obviously the defense, which should improve. He also doesn't seem to really jump that much for rebounds. He's a big kid for sure, but just hoping the ball will fall into your hands isn't the best strategy moving forward. He also picks up so many silly fouls. Stop trying to tip the ball to yourself on a missed FT when you have no position! That foul drives me crazy.

Some players just get it and he seems to be one of them. I really appreciate some of his play in the zone yesterday because that was the position I played against zone defenses and it's all about quick passes, while maintaining composure and recognizing where the wings are down low.

My biggest issue(s) with him- obviously the defense, which should improve. He also doesn't seem to really jump that much for rebounds. He's a big kid for sure, but just hoping the ball will fall into your hands isn't the best strategy moving forward. He also picks up so many silly fouls. Stop trying to tip the ball to yourself on a missed FT when you have no position! That foul drives me crazy.
Agreed on what he needs to work on but offensively, he's got serious skill for a 6'10 guy. You just don't see that, especially in college and especially in a freshman.

I'll add that I love his mean streak. We have too many emotionless players right now and his scowl and smirks are a welcome sign imo.

Not there yet, but reminds me of DC with his overall skill set. Might be as ornery too.

Taurean is so much better than I expected. He seems very relaxed on the floor. He is the antithesis of Roberson. When Taurean gets the ball he either knows what he wants to do already, or squares up, quickly assesses his options and then makes his move. Hopefully we have both he and Lydon next year, along with Battle. That is a strong nucleus for this year and next.

Taurean is so much better than I expected. He seems very relaxed on the floor. He is the antithesis of Roberson. When Taurean gets the ball he either knows what he wants to do already, or squares up, quickly assesses his options and then makes his move. Hopefully we have both he and Lydon next year, along with Battle. That is a strong nucleus for this year and next.
Lydon as the stretch 4 and Thompson as a stretch 5 will be a nightmare for opposing teams if they are both here next year.

Lydon as the stretch 4 and Thompson as a stretch 5 will be a nightmare for opposing teams if they are both here next year.

For all of TT's shooting, he also has shown that he has a good feel for converting down low with either hand. He really has the potential to be a dynamic offensive force, once he figures things out a bit. That's already starting to happen.

Have to hope that some of that is experience driven [or lack thereof]. Better judgment should come with more floor time.

Right now, he's playing starter's minutes, and I'd expect that to continue.

Ultimate Old Man game...

Ballgame.-Brian-Babineau-NBA-Getty-Images.jpg

Hey--might have missed this in another thread, but what was your take [from afar] of Lydon's injury?

When is the last time SU had TWO power forwards/centers of their offensive skills at the same time?

It's a shame our backcourt is such a trainwreck because with these two and AW3 at SF, this should be a much, much better offensive team.

When is the last time SU had TWO power forwards/centers of their offensive skills at the same time?

It's a shame our backcourt is such a trainwreck because with these two and AW3 at SF, this should be a much, much better offensive team.

Backcourt needs to play better, for sure.

Not sure it is the trainwreck that many claim. There are signs that are encouraging--might just take a little time for the principals to get their sea legs.

BTW--related to Battle, I wonder if the reason he isn't driving the ball as expected is due to his foot issues. There has to be a reason why he's played like more of a stationary jump shooter when his reputation was that he thrived taking it to the basket.

Backcourt needs to play better, for sure.

Not sure it is the trainwreck that many claim. Might just take a little time for the principals to get their sea legs.

You are right, trainwreck was definitely a bit harsh. They've been fine and even good/great against the nobodies. They have been a trainwreck against the better opponents, especially FH. That needs to change quickly.

Another thing on TT that he does so well is get himself into the 'triple threat' position immediately upon catching a pass, especially around the FT line. He's always squaring himself up to the basket and looking for his shot or a pass. That's excellent basketball IQ and what has enabled him to get so many good looks and easy buckets. Compare that to Roberson who catches the ball with his back to the basket and immediately looks to fire it to a teammate without even threatening the D with a shot or move. Even Lydon doesn't always seem comfortable getting himself in position to shoot. TT does it nearly every time and I love watching it turn into buckets.

Hey--might have missed this in another thread, but what was your take [from afar] of Lydon's injury?

I guess they called it a strained Achilles. When I watched the replay, definitely a non-contact injury, . Like the announcer (who I thought was really, really good) said, these type of injuries are more scary because when an ankle is rolled, you can clearly see the acute part of the injury. "Non-contact" injuries are more inconclusive, as we all know. The fact Lydon was out there (with ice) and still walking on it was great. We didn't need him. I actually thought it could have been a calf strain. I've said a few times, I bet he's getting a lot of massage work on his calves today. Tons of mobility work, graston, etc.

BTW--related to Battle, I wonder if the reason he isn't driving the ball as expected is due to his foot issues. There has to be a reason why he's played like more of a stationary jump shooter when his reputation was that he thrived taking it to the basket.

Is his handle good enough? He doesn't look like he's beating anybody with his dribbling, so unless he has a step when receiving a pass, he isn't breaking down his man. It looks like he dribbles a bit high and loose (similar to FH), something that is correctable, but he needs time and to gain comfort. Maybe it's his foot, maybe he just needs to get stronger with the ball. He's been far better as a 3 pt shooter than anyone could've imagined, so hopefully he can improve the rest of his game as the season progresses. I think he could really be dynamite next year if his feet hold up and he sticks around.

You are right, trainwreck was definitely a bit harsh. They've been fine and even good/great against the nobodies. They have been a trainwreck against the better opponents, especially FH. That needs to change quickly.

Another thing on TT that he does so well is get himself into the 'triple threat' position immediately upon catching a pass, especially around the FT line. He's always squaring himself up to the basket and looking for his shot or a pass. That's excellent basketball IQ and what has enabled him to get so many good looks and easy buckets. Compare that to Roberson who catches the ball with his back to the basket and immediately looks to fire it to a teammate without even threatening the D with a shot or move. Even Lydon doesn't always seem comfortable getting himself in position to shoot. TT does it nearly every time and I love watching it turn into buckets.

Good point about TT. He had a high post catch yesterday where he turned and faced, got the ball in triple threat, faked a drive, which cleared a bit of space for him to then rise for the shot--which he drained. Kid has a terrific feel for the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom