Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

News

14652281-mmmain.jpg

SU Soph LB Marqez Hodge Seemingly Has Inside Track at Open MIKE Position (PS; Mink)

"Hodge naturally has a feel for the run game inside," linebackers coach Clark Lea said. "It really, honest to God, is get the best three on the field, and we feel like Cam can build on what he did last year and then Hodge can maybe add that X factor we need in the middle.

"Cam could play either position. Hodge can play either, too. I think what I wanted for Cam is for him to feel like he was able to take his game to the next level and build on the progress he made through the fall from a learning standpoint. He can help us run the show from that Will position just as well as the Mike."

Hodge has done well "setting the fronts" from the middle. Working at the Will last year, Hodge has spent the spring learning the nuances of middle linebacker. But it won't be known how much Hodge can digest until the full spectrum of packages is implemented in August practice...

14649917-mmmain.jpg

It is Official; SU and Colgate to Resume Ancient Rivalry, Will Meet in Dome in 2016 (PS; Mink)

...Syracuse and Colgate will resume its one-time football rivalry in 2016 when the Raiders make the 40-mile trip west to the Carrier Dome.

The date and time are still to be determined, according to Joe Giansante, the SU
athletic department's chief of communications. The scheduling website
fbschedules.com
has the game slated for Sept. 10. Syracuse will also face Notre Dame at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., in 2016...

Former Players

BkforuBCcAAmXMu.jpg

Justin Outten Gets HS Team to Help Him Propose (PS; Mink)

...Former Syracuse offensive lineman Justin Outten proposed to his girlfriend using video from a practice at Houston Westfield High School, where Outten is the offensive coordinator.

The hook? He orchestrated a fake melee among his players at Thursday's practice, only to have them all take a knee as he held up a sign asking his girlfriend to marry him.

The team's video coordinator cut up the tape. It was then posted online Saturday, when his fiance watched the tape and Outten dropped to his knee and presented her with a ring...

BkpPXEICIAAIOU7.jpg

New Bills WR Mike Williams Says Prior Mistakes with Marrone Are in the Past (PS; Mink)

"I talked to Coach Marrone first and he said it was his first year coaching and he made mistakes, I made mistakes, situations weren't handled how they were supposed to be handled," Williams told reporters in Buffalo on Monday, when he was introduced by the Bills. "We got rid of our past and he said we're moving forward, and now I'm here."

Marrone picked up Williams at the airport after the trade was finalized, and the scene there looked every bit the homecoming the deal has been branded as.

Buffalo Columnist/Soothsayer: Mike Williams Tenure With Bills Will Not End Well (PS; Mink)

Marrone is taking another chance on Williams.

Will it pay off?

Gleason, the Buffalo News columnist, spoke with one veteran Buffalo-area officer who believes Williams won't reach training camp before another incident pops up.

"I can't see his tenure ending well in Buffalo, either, but I will say this," Gleason writes. "Mike Williams has two choices. He can straighten out his act sooner than yesterday, surround himself with good people, stay out of trouble and produce for his hometown team or he can kiss a promising career goodbye."

Other

SU Men's Lacrosse 7th in Latest Polls (PS; Carlson)

The Syracuse men's lacrosse team remained No. 7 in the Inside Lacrosse media poll for the second straight week when it was released on Monday morning.

The Orange also moved up to seventh from a tie for eighth in the coaches poll, jumping Notre Dame and breaking a tie with Virginia.

The Orange (6-3) had the weekend off but beat unranked Binghamton 10-8 last Wednesday. Cornell, Syracuse's opponent on Tuesday, fell from No. 2 to No. 6 in both polls following a 14-9 loss to Harvard. The Orange visits the Big Red at 7 p.m.

Loyola remained No. 1 for the third consecutive week. ACC teams Duke, Maryland and North Carolina came next in both polls, with each moving up one spot. Denver rounded out the top five. All three of the top teams received first-place votes in both polls.

SU Lax West Coasters Macartney and Schoonmaker Provide Faceoff Hope (PS; Carlson)

...As the Orange has made modest improvements in its faceoff performance, Henry Schoonmaker and Peter Macartney have elevated their play the most, becoming key performers while showing how inexact the science of West Coast recruiting can be.

Macartney is a redshirt junior from Evergreen, Colo. Schoonmaker is his classmate from Portland, Ore. Neither area is known for churning out lacrosse talent.

"When I was in middle school it was, 'What are you playing? What's that stick,'" Schoonmaker said.

"I wasn't a lacrosse guy at first," Macartney said. "I played hockey, soccer. I wasn't like the guys around here like (Billy Ward), playing since I was 5 years old. Most of them have played since they were little kids."

They were West Coast kids introduced to the sport in middle school. They became U.S. Lacrosse All-Americans in high school who were lightly recruited because of the level of play in their part of the country. They spent redshirt seasons adjusting to a roster of lacrosse lifers.

Now they are signs of hope on a struggling faceoff unit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom