Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
News

franklin_howard.jpg

SU Recruit Frank Howard Can 'Do It All' Says HS Coach (PS' Ditota)

A week from now, Frank Howard will announce which program among an array of college suitors will win his basketball hand.

Howard, a four-star guard in the Class of 2015, has narrowed his list to Syracuse, Ohio State, Georgetown, Virginia, Maryland and N.C. State. A junior at Paul VI Catholic High School in Fairfax, Va., Howard missed the past high school basketball season while recovering from a torn ACL.

Howard's height is listed on most recruiting profiles as 6-foot-4. His Paul VI coach, Glenn Farello, said Howard is 6-foot-6. He describes Howard as a combination guard who is primarily a scorer.

"He can play the 1 or the 2," Farello said in a telephone conversation. "He can kind of do it all. He can score, pass, he has great court vision, great pace to his game and great basketball IQ. He's a very competitive kid. Winning matters to him. He puts winning first."

Farello said Howard plays shooting guard for Paul VI because his high school team has two talented lead guards on its roster.

"He's very good with ball screens — he can read and react," Farello said. "He's got point guard skills, but he's mainly a scorer. He can slash and get to the basket and he can reach out to the NBA 3-point range. He just has a knack for putting the ball in the basket."...

14647706-mmmain.jpg

Pre-Sale for 2015 NCAA Eastern Regional at Dome Starts Today (PS; Waters)

...Fans will be able to purchase tickets for the 2015 NCAA tournament's East Regional in Syracuse starting Tuesday.

The Carrier Dome will host the NCAA tournament's East Regional on March 27 and 29, 2015. Tickets will go on sale on Tuesday at 10 a.m. They will remain on sale through May 31.

To access this offer, you MUST use the Passcode ONCENTER15. When placing your order, you will be asked to login. If you have not previously purchased tickets online directly from the NCAA, register as a new user using your email address and complete your purchase.

If you need assistance to complete this process, call the customer service line at 1-866-208-0048.

Syracuse University season-ticket holders will receive an email on Tuesday with information on their ability to access pre-sale tickets for the 2015 NCAA East Regional. That sale will also begin at 10 a.m. on Tuesday. Season-ticket holders will receive the email with instruction on how to purchase tickets through the NCAA's website with their university account number...

13471483-mmmain.jpg

Mike Hopkins, JB and Jason Smorol in the Mailbag (PS; Poliquin)

I covered Batavia in the New York-Penn League when Jason Smorol was the general manager there.

One night he came up to the pressbox on three different occasions, getting angrier each time with his demand that a car be moved. Apparently, it was blocking something.

Well, after the third time, somebody in the booth pointed out that the car that had riled up Jason . . . was Jason's.

Just a little fodder for you.

-- Doug Smith
Buffalo, N.Y.

NCAA

ncaachampgame-promo-181jpg-30adb6fa0ba1a8e8.jpg

UConn Sits on College Basketball Throne (PS; Poliquin)

Former Players

Dion, Kyrie Insist They Get Along (Video) (PS; syracuse.com)

Former Syracuse star Dion Waiters and his Cleveland Cavaliers teammate Kyrie Irving have had some issues co-existing in the same backcourt.

The issue resurfaced over the weekend as Irving and Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon exchanged barbs across a number of platforms. Gordon and Waiters are neighbors in Cleveland.

Following Monday's practice at Cleveland Clinic Courts, Waiters and Irving, standing side-by-side against a wall, attempted to clear up any misunderstanding. They insist they get along well.

"We've been friends before we even made the NBA, before any of this," Waiters said. "I just think y'all saying we don't like playing with one another, yeah, we still need to learn certain things. But I think at the end of the day, we're genuinely friends. I love him as a friend, teammate, everything. I just want everybody to know that.

"I don't hate this guy. I'm pretty sure he don't hate me. I know he don't hate me. I hope he don't hate me. Rome wasn't built in one day. We're still young. We're still planning to stay together. We're still working. As long as we've got great communication down it's fine."...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom