Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

14556596-mmmain.jpg

Jerami Grant Signs with NBA Agent BJ Armstrong (PS; Waters)

Jerami Grant, the former Syracuse University forward who left school early to enter this year's NBA draft, has signed on with NBA agent B.J. Armstrong.

Armstrong, the former NBA player, works for the Wasserman Media Group, which is the agency run by high-profile agent Arn Tellem.

Family connections might have played a role in Grant's decision to sign with Armstrong.

13232167-standard.jpg

Will Kaleb Joseph Effectively Replace Tyler Ennis? (BR; Neuman!)

When the Syracuse basketball team takes the court in 2014, it will hand the ball to its fourth starting point guard in as many years.

Michael Carter-Williams replaced Scoop Jardine. Then Tyler Ennis replaced Carter-Williams. Now, all signs point to incoming freshman Kaleb Joseph succeeding Ennis. You can't win in college if you don't have solid point guard play. So will Joseph be able to step in and drive Jim Boeheim's Orange sports car as smoothly as Ennis did?

There's bound to be a few bumps in the road. One thing Joseph will tell you, per Chris Carlson of Syracuse.com, is that he's "not Tyler Ennis."

How right he is. First and foremost, Ennis and Joseph play with vastly different styles. Ennis is a cerebral point guard, taking care of the ball as if it were his own child. He always seemed to make the correct decision, and it showed in his over 3-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio in his lone year at Syracuse.

roberson.jpg

Mixed Juice: Who Will Lead Syracuse Basketball in Scoring Next Year? (sujuiceonline.com; Cheng/Auger)

Wesley Cheng: Steve, now that CJ Fair, Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant have all moved on to professional ranks, who do you think will lead the team in scoring next year?

Steve Auger: Those three guys represent a few very large sets of high tops to fill. I think there are two obvious candidates to step up as the Orange’s leading scorer next season. My crystal ball is telling me that sophomore-to-be Tyler Roberson is the heir apparent to being the next BMOC. Both forward spots are there for the taking. At 6′-10″, super frosh Chris McCullough seems a natural to grab the reigns of starting power forward. That leaves Roberson to slide right into the small forward role vacated by Fair. Along with Ennis, Roberson was one of two crown jewels of SU’s 2013 recruiting class. If not for an NCAA eligibility issue (along with playing second fiddle to Fair and Grant), Roberson probably would’ve seen a lot more playing time last year. Yes, he only played in 20 of the team’s 34 games, but at 6’8″, 212 lbs, Roberson certainly seems to pass the eyeball test. I think he’s destined to become the next Orange player to make The Leap in his sophomore year a la Michael Carter-Williams, Dion Waiters, Kris Joseph, and Hakim Warrick to name a few. What are your expectations of Roberson next year? Or, do you see Trevor Cooney taking the baton on the scoring front?

Mike Hopkins May Have Been Rejected by Oregon State But Blessed by the Coaching Gods (PS; Poliquin)

One has to imagine that if Barack Obama's brother-in-law couldn't hold onto the Oregon State job, if the folks who run the Beavers weren't the least bit concerned about ticking off the most powerful man in the world, it's probably a job nobody should want.

And that would include Mike Hopkins, who may have been spared even if it meant that his latest set of prayers went unanswered. Perhaps the long-time Syracuse University assistant got the break of his coaching life when OSU decided that someone else was better suited to run the basketball show out there in Corvallis.

-b2159b84b8312864.JPG

Poll: Should Mike Hopkins Take Another Job to Eventually Be a Better Head Coach at Syracuse? (PS; Axe)

As of 6:42 AM, the answer was no...

Ladies and gentleman, another episode of #HopkinsWatch has come and gone.

Syracuse University assistant basketball coach Mike Hopkins was one of the final two candidates for the head coaching position at Oregon State, but the school decided to go with Montana's Wayne Tinkle over Hopkins.

ACC News

xWilliamsBuzz2_2.jpg,qitok=_wxpc5Ao.pagespeed.ic.n5x24OpUZe.jpg

Will Buzz Dance in Blacksburg?

Ranking the Best and Worse College Basketball Hires for 2014-15 (athlonsports.com; Fox)

The coaching carousel is funny sometimes. Last season brought a few major job openings — chief among them, UCLA — but few big names moving to new jobs.

This season seems to be the opposite. The names involved in the coaching carousel arguably are bigger than the jobs they filled.

Buzz Williams’ name had surfaced in coaching searches before, but Virginia Tech, a program that has made the NCAA Tournament once since 1996, ended up being his landing place. Bruce Pearl, once one of the top coaches in the SEC before his NCAA-hastened departure, starts over at one of the toughest jobs in the league. And Kelvin Sampson, who led Oklahoma to the Final Four, landed at Houston.

Another big name could have been in the carousel as three-time Final Four coach Ben Howland was on the job hunt, but he’ll likely have to wait for next season after pulling out of the Oregon State search.

Since the coaching carousel has essentially ended, now is a good time to review the new coaches for 2014-15.
- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-bas...ball-coach-hires-2014-15#sthash.H7Lp2zat.dpuf

Thanks for the articles Tom.

What I find fascinating is either how fast camera shutters are or the fact that I've seen many players with their eyes closed like Grant in that picture. I wonder if there ever has been a study about that and players closing their eyes upon impact and their success after it occurs. I'm curious to see if the players that can finish better keep their eyes open longer or close them/blink at the right time. It seems to be a natural instinct to close them once you feel something is going to happen for your own protection.

j-grant-dreamy-jpg.13499

"Love in the Key"

a new novel by Nora Roberts

They were from two different worlds but a chance encounter in the paint would ignite a passion neither could have ever dreamt. This new novel will be a page turner and make you tingle with wanton lust reading about drop steps, facials and power dunks on the hardwood.

5 Stars Reviewed by Chip

Last edited:
Thanks for the articles Tom.

What I find fascinating is either how fast camera shutters are or the fact that I've seen many players with their eyes closed like Grant in that picture. I wonder if there ever has been a study about that and players closing their eyes upon impact and their success after it occurs. I'm curious to see if the players that can finish better keep their eyes open longer or close them/blink at the right time. It seems to be a natural instinct to close them once you feel something is going to happen for your own protection.

Gary Player used to tell people to line up their puts, take a practice swing, address the ball and then close your eyes and swing with your other senses.

Last edited:
Gary Player used to tell people to loine up their puts, take a practice swing, address the ball and then close your eyes and swing with your other senses.

Of all the golfers the one I would love to talk to is Gary Player. Thanks for sharing that.