Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

Special Ticket Promotion for SU's Appearance in the 2K Classic to Benefit the Wounded Warrior Project (PS; Waters)

Madison Square Garden and Ticketmaster are offering a special discounted ticket package for Syracuse University's appearance in the 2K Classic this November.

The special offer, which is called the July 4-Pack, allows customers to purchase four tickets at a 50 percent discount. The deal is a buy two tickets, get two tickets free offer. The offer applies to all ticket prices.

ACC News

NCAA Will Re-Open UNC Investigation Into Academic Fraud Thanks to New Sources (PS; Carlson)

The University of North Carolina announced in a statement on Monday that the NCAA is re-opening its 2011 investigation into academic irregularities at the school.

According to the statement from athletic director Bubba Cunningham, the NCAA has determined that "additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak with the enforcement staff."

One of those people undoubtedly is Rashad McCants. Last month, McCants, who led UNC to the 2005 national basketball championship, told ESPN's Outside the Linesabout a system at North Carolina that included tutors writing papers for athletes and no-show classes used to keep athletes eligible.

1404169531003-30Jun04-44F2205.jpg

ACC Mascots at Churchhill Downs

Louisville Athletes Poised for Tuesday Move to ACC (courier-journal.com; Greer)

Tom Jurich used a familiar anecdote to illustrate just how far University of Louisville athletics have come in the past 15 years.

He was standing against a wall, chatting with reporters in April after U of L signed a five-year, $39 million branding contract with Adidas that represented one of the five richest apparel deals in college athletics.

Louisville's athletic director, who has engineered the Cardinals' rapid rise across the spectrum of college sports, was remembering the first time he spoke to Adidas 17 years earlier about a branding deal.

Former Players

13129009-mmmain.jpg

Arinze Playing for Phoenix in Summer League Action Last Year

Arinze Onuaku to Play on Indiana Pacers' Summer League Team (PS; Waters)

Arinze Onuaku, the former Syracuse University center, has agreed to play for the Indiana Pacers in the NBA's summer league in Orlando.

Onuaku, who played at Syracuse from 2005-2010, will begin practicing with the Pacers on Tuesday, according to his agent. The Pacers open play in the Orlando summer league on Saturday against the Brooklyn Nets.

Onuaku split the 2013-14 season between the New Orleans Pelicans and Cleveland Cavaliers of the NBA and the Canton Charge of the NBA D-League.

-c39ee60fc82d0841.jpg

Should Tyler Ennis be Given More Respect for Projected NBA 2014-15 Rookie of the Year? (PS; Poliquin)

They say that timing is everything. But so, too, can be location. And these odds, as provided by the good folks at Bovada, suggest as much.

There are 21 guys listed among the favorites to win the NBA's Rookie of the Year award during the upcoming 2014-'15 season, and Tyler Ennis isn't one of them.

Joel Ebiid, who'll likely not even play for the Philadelphia 76ers this season (thanks to his foot injury), does get a nod, however. Again, though, Ennis does not. And, well, as they might ask on "Saturday Night Live," what's up with that?

-0e3981cf01a4e29d.jpg

Jerami Grant To Make Debut with 76ers in NBA Summer League on Saturday (PS; Waters)

Jerami Grant won't have to wait long before getting his first taste of NBA competition.

The Philadelphia 76ers took Grant, a 6-foot-8 forward out of Syracuse University, in the second round of last Thursday's NBA draft with the 39th overall pick.

Philadelphia is one of the few teams that participate in both of the NBA's summer league. The 76ers will put a team in Orlando from July 5-10 and then take part in the Las Vegas Summer League from July 11-21.

The 76ers' first game in Orlando will be against the Orlando Magic on Saturday. That could pit Grant against Orlando rookie Aaron Gordon, who was the No. 4 overall pick in last Thursday's draft.

-9c731f59ab7c2a2b.JPG

LeBron and Melo in HS

Where Should Melo Go? His Free Agency Tour Starts Tuesday in Chicago (PS; Axe)

Let the courtship begin.

New York Knicks forward and former Syracuse University basketball star Carmelo Anthony begins a whirlwind free agency tour on Tuesday.

First stop: Chicago.

Carmelo Anthony is planning to meet with the Chicago Bulls in Chicago on the opening day of free agency after the NBA's offseason market officially opens Tuesday at 12:01 a.m., according to sources familiar with Anthony's plans.
Sources told ESPN.com that Anthony is in the process of arranging a trip to Chicago to meet with the Bulls, then intends to travel to Texas for Wednesday meetings with both the Houston Rockets and the Dallas Mavericks.

Eric Devendorf is Recovering From Back Surgery That Cut Short His 2013-14 Season (PS; Waters)

Eric Devendorf is recovering from recent back surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back.

"I'm doing all right,'' the former Syracuse University guard said last week. "They say I've got four more weeks before I can do anything. I'm being as patient as I can. Being patient is hard, but it's what I have to do right now.''

The injury cut short Devendorf's season last year Hapoel Afula, a team in the Isreali professional league. Devendorf played in just six games with Hapoel Afula before returning to Syracuse last December.

"The team was playing well and I was playing well,'' said Devendorf, who averaged 20.5 points per game his first six games with Hapoel Afula. "Then I got this tingling down my right leg. I was playing through it.''

But Devendorf's leg started to go numb when the disc started pressing against a nerve. He had an MRI, which revealed the herniated disc.