Turned the Corner? | Syracusefan.com

Turned the Corner?

DPCuse

Starter
Was last week's game against WVU a sign we've turned the corner? We were healthy, rested and deep at every position. So is it a sign of more to come?

Or was last week's win just a blip on the radar? An indication that our improving talent will yield better results but that we still have more work to do. Or maybe we just matched up well with WVU.

Saturday's game at the Ville and next week at UConn will certainly tell us a lot where this program is at. I would love to have the team come back home 7-2 facing S. Florida on a Friday night. If that happens, you would expect the dome to rock again. And then we have the benefit of facing Cincy at home which could possibly decide the Big East title before going to Pitt who has suffered injuries. That's jumping way ahead of myself but it's there for the taking. I can't wait for tomorrow.

Was last week's game against WVU a sign we've turned the corner? We were healthy, rested and deep at every position. So is it a sign of more to come?

Or was last week's win just a blip on the radar? An indication that our improving talent will yield better results but that we still have more work to do. Or maybe we just matched up well with WVU.

Saturday's game at the Ville and next week at UConn will certainly tell us a lot where this program is at. I would love to have the team come back home 7-2 facing S. Florida on a Friday night. If that happens, you would expect the dome to rock again. And then we have the benefit of facing Cincy at home which could possibly decide the Big East title before going to Pitt who has suffered injuries. That's jumping way ahead of myself but it's there for the taking. I can't wait for tomorrow.

Doug Marrone would tell you it's your second paragraph. SU has gone from sub 100's to 40-50 range in a very short time. It's going to be harder to get to the next level beyond that.

Take their worst game and their best game, throw those two out and that is where the team is right now, those are your 2011 Syracuse Orange.. That said I still think that team is good enough to win 3 maybe 4 more games if they establish consistency on offense.. The Big east sucks, we don't have to be anything more than decent to go 9-3and I truly believe that

I believe that performance shows that we are the 1/2 with Cinci for best team in the big east... i believe we beat louisville handely this weekend

the corner has been turned

Take their worst game and their best game, throw those two out and that is where the team is right now, those are your 2011 Syracuse Orange.. That said I still think that team is good enough to win 3 maybe 4 more games if they establish consistency on offense.. The Big east sucks, we don't have to be anything more than decent to go 9-3and I truly believe that

If you throw out our best game, all were left with is a bunch of meh games that we squeaked by in. I think were better than that, I dont think any other team in the Big East could beatdown WVU like we did. I know its completely unrelated but we beat them worse than LSU did. The team that went 4-2 before the WVU game loses to Ville at Ville so lets hope were better than that.

I think Chandler Jones makes a huge difference on the D side of the ball. The corners don't have to cover as long and the Qback is uncomfortable back in the pocket.

Nassib's arm looked tired before the bye week. He looked sharp last week. The Oline looked better so if we can continue to run the ball and provide some protection I think the offense continues to put up the points with limited turnovers.

Those two things alone give me great hope. And if I am not mistaken, we have another bye coming up in a couple of weeks. So we should be fresh heading in to that Cincy game at home which could be huge.

This has been my position since I walked out of the Dome last Friday night. I think we've turned the proverbial corner. No one can convince me that we are not atleast the 2nd best team in the conference.

Winning against WVU the way we did was a huge boost to the confidence of the team going forward. They can see what they can accomplish together which I expect to carry forward to some degree. They'll continue to gut out wins when games are tight but I also expect they'll have some very good individual games. Winning is contagious and I hope the whole team catches the bug to finish strong as we head for the ACC. As of last Friday nite, all systems are go and the prognosis is good.

...the corner is turned...still have upside to reach. Where we are does not necessarily mean we win the conference; rather, we now are in a good position to continue to better ourselves...one step at a time for 'Cuse...we are getting closer.

This has been my position since I walked out of the Dome last Friday night. I think we've turned the proverbial corner. No one can convince me that we are not atleast the 2nd best team in the conference.

The difference to me is, last year we stole a victory in Morgantown. This year we punched them in the mouth and beat them down. That has to provide a big amount of confidence to these guys. And we came out of the game very healthy.

I think Chandler Jones makes a huge difference on the D side of the ball. The corners don't have to cover as long and the Qback is uncomfortable back in the pocket.

Nassib's arm looked tired before the bye week. He looked sharp last week. The Oline looked better so if we can continue to run the ball and provide some protection I think the offense continues to put up the points with limited turnovers.

Those two things alone give me great hope. And if I am not mistaken, we have another bye coming up in a couple of weeks. So we should be fresh heading in to that Cincy game at home which could be huge.

Behind Nassib, I think the last guy you want to lose is Jones, he was slated for a huge season and had a huge game last week, he makes a huge difference.. Bailey probably right there too but I think we may underestimated what Jones coming back can do for the O, he is the only guy that we have that is worthy of a double team right now.

The team is improving but there is a long ways to go, win the next two and I will be a believer that a corner has been turned, we turned the respectable corner last year... can we turn the, these guys are a damn good (not great) football team.. I really don't know, I am the first to overreact after a loss but many here are the same way after a win.

Behind Nassib, I think the last guy you want to lose is Jones, he was slated for a huge season and had a huge game last week, he makes a huge difference.. Bailey probably right there too but I think we may underestimated what Jones coming back can do for the O, he is the only guy that we have that is worthy of a double team right now.

The team is improving but there is a long ways to go, win the next two and I will be a believer that a corner has been turned, we turned the respectable corner last year... can we turn the, these guys are a damn good (not great) football team.. I really don't know, I am the first to overreact after a loss but many here are the same way after a win.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised this weekend (and next). I'm normally pretty cautious in getting too far ahead of myself, but I just have a feeling that the WVU game was the start of our run this year. Lets hope I'm right and I'm not eating crow next week

I think the biggest thing is we are finally starting to get healthy, the bye week for everyone to take some time to focus on some nagging injuries really helped. Plus we got Fisher and Chan back which is a big help obviously. I also don't think we got very beat up by WVU so we should be close to healthy going in to this weekend.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised this weekend (and next). I'm normally pretty cautious in getting too far ahead of myself, but I just have a feeling that the WVU game was the start of our run this year. Lets hope I'm right and I'm not eating crow next week

hey, I love the optimism and hope you are right.. I think we can win the next two playing pretty much how we played versus Toledo... We are taking on WVU every week. if we have turned a realy corner we will win the next two games by 14-17 points. Being healthy helps too

I think it was a great sign, but at this point, only a sign. That game showed what this team is capable of......more than just a blip. To me, the kids appeared to be more "up" and motivated for this one than any game they had played prior to that.

Last Friday's performance set the bar and resulting expectations higher. So the question in my mind is, now that they know what they can really do and how great it felt, do they also know that they must continue to execute up to that new standard and that they refuse to settle for anything less? Will they DEMAND more of themselves? That's what has to happen....and I assume HCDM and his coaches are basically giving them the same message.

There will always be more work to do, but the signs sure look pretty good right now.

hey, I love the optimism and hope you are right.. I think we can win the next two playing pretty much how we played versus Toledo... We are taking on WVU every week. if we have turned a realy corner we will win the next two games by 14-17 points. Being healthy helps too
Personally, give me the BE next year, granted there are definitely going to be 8 teams. That is a league we could we could dominate.

I hope you're right!

LGO!!!

SU FB turned the corner last season. The WV victory just makes it much harder to think of SU as a losing program anymore.

I am sure that SU would have beaten Rutgers if Jones was not injured - amazing the effect 1 guy can have on an 11 man team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom