TV ratings begin to mean more money for schools than ticket sales.. | Syracusefan.com

TV ratings begin to mean more money for schools than ticket sales..

CuseLegacy

http://www.news-record.com/home/873079-63/tv-ratings-better-than-ticket

NCAA or conference payouts, plus media-rights deals negotiated through the schools, made up nearly 26 percent of the revenue generated by the athletics departments at the ACC’s eight public universities during the 2011-12 year, according to revenue and expense reports obtained through public-records requests.
For the first time in five years, that number outpaced the percent of revenue the league’s public schools received from ticket sales (23.4 percent).
Their average payout from the NCAA, ACC and other media-rights deals jumped 35 percent from 2010-11 to 2011-12, from $14.1 million to $19.1 million.
“It’s satellite and cable television. That’s the disruptive force,” said Raymond Sauer, a professor of economics at Clemson and president of the North American Association of Sports Economists. “It’s the penetration of those broadcast technologies into more and more and more and more homes.
“Increasingly, the revenue has shifted in all sports from the gate at the venue to the box in the home.”
The Big Ten, according to projections obtained by Sports Illustrated, expects to be in a position to pay its schools $43 million each by 2017, a figure bolstered largely by an expected TV revenue windfall.

Good article...however with Notre Dame and Louisville coming in most suggest $19.5M or so per team from the re-renegotiated contract.

Over the next 1-5 years: The UMD lawsuit could give the B1G more ammo for Delaney's ego. Additionally, does the B1G successfully extort higher basic cable fees from the MD, NJ and downstate NY cable customers? (Taking control of YES was a brilliant move)

The next big things I see over 5-10 years: Does the Power 5 walk away from the NCAA? Does the B1G successfully extort higher basic cable fees from the MD, NJ and downstate NY cable customers? Does the cable industry evolve into an ala carte format? Does Internet Streaming take over? Finally, does the IRS strip nonprofit status away from the schools in a limited form?

While I don't believe we'll see true a-la-carte program choices in the near term, it wouldn't surprise me to see some "opt out" choices being mandated. As in "I don't want to pay extra to watch expensive sports channels that I don't watch". $5 for ESPN, $1+ for BTN, etc.. As soon as that happens, many college sports TV contracts will begin to level out or even shrink.

Good point Jurrie

Can I opt out of Lifetime? AKA the "Man Hating Channel.

TV has been more important than attendance for a long time.