Two discussion points | Syracusefan.com

Two discussion points

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
Let me preface this by saying I am and have been an avid SU fan for years. And in retrospect the last six weeks have left me angry, lost for words and with questions to say the least. That being said, I'd like to bring two positive things to the table as frustrated as I am.

1) Jerome smith has legitimate potential to be a very solid running back. Maybe not an every down back but a hard-nosed with runner gulley or another to compliment him.

2) I believe today was the healthiest Shamarko's been in the last two seasons and it reminded me of how solid of a hitter and run-support safety he can be.

Any comments or other positives moving forward?

Loved Smiths game today also. I really think the young LBs will be special too.

I disagree with you about Smith not being an every down back, or maybe not being an every down back. I think he can be an every down back or pretty close to it. But like you I really like what he showed today, I think the difference was it felt like he got more opportunities and opportunities when it counted. I didn't feel like that was true in previous games. He felt more like a player brought in at times to give Bailey a break and today he was an integral part of the gameplan and he showed he could get it done.

The only thing, isn't the Pitt defense weak against the run?

This might be more about Pitt's weakness than Smith's strength...

The only thing, isn't the Pitt defense weak against the run?

This might be more about Pitt's weakness than Smith's strength...

They are but Smith has also been pretty decent since Prince went down. I've been calling for him to take on a bigger role in the last 4 games and today he finally got a chance. We can't fault a RB for having a decent game just b/c the opponent that beat us isn't that great at run defense.

I guess we really don't have much of a choice but to trust him now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom