Two (sour grapes?) points | Syracusefan.com

Two (sour grapes?) points

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
1. These refs need to go back to block/charge school.
2. Les Jones:Georgetown::Booker Turner:UCLA (for all you fogies)

My booker turner story. I vowed that I would run in to him one day after he stole the Iowa game from us. And lo and behold, I see him at a basketball game I am at. I say Booker, he turns and looks at me and I read him the riot act. He was just stunned. It certainly isn't something I would normally do but f him.

Actually. Mike stephens and ed Corbett are worse. Why does it take more than 3 seconds to signal the call after you blow the whitsle? Uningreal.

I can understand the anger some. sometimes refs miss a call they are all great referee's let's keep it somewhat classy.

That one on malachi late in the game was probably the worst one I have seen all year. And he drove from the perimeter not the high post that means they had 5 seconds to get into a better position to see it. it wasn't even close to being a charge and he banked it home.

There was one point litterally 2 possessions (one for them one for us)...
1. Cooney inside position on the steal and ahead of the gtown player gets whistled
2. gbinije got hit on the elbow right under the bucket on a underhand layup
3. illegal screen three steps uptop on gtown
4. gbinije gets hit from behind stealing the ball in lane no call.
result was a roberson tip in but
what the hell do we have to overcome to get a call.

orangefan13 said:
I can understand the anger some. sometimes refs miss a call they are all great referee's let's keep it somewhat classy.

That one on malachi late in the game was probably the worst one I have seen all year. And he drove from the perimeter not the high post that means they had 5 seconds to get into a better position to see it. it wasn't even close to being a charge and he banked it home.

1. Cooney inside position on the steal and ahead of the gtown player gets whistled
2. gbinije got hit on the elbow right under the bucket on a underhan3. illegal screen three steps uptop on gtown

that. All refs suck. I think the nfl season has proved that. There are to many "subjective" calls and it gives then an out. In cbb get rid of the charge and stop rewarding players for playing bad defense

My booker turner story. I vowed that I would run in to him one day after he stole the Iowa game from us. And lo and behold, I see him at a basketball game I am at. I say Booker, he turns and looks at me and I read him the riot act. He was just stunned. It certainly isn't something I would normally do but f him.
Let me give you my Booker Turner story, and it also concerns Louie/Bouie's last game vs. Iowa:

A good friend of mine had connections, and he got a group of us excellent seats (the best I've ever had) right behind the scorer's table, 10 feet from the court. Warm-ups begin, and out come the officials, led by Mr Turner. I stated (in a too-loud voice, I'm sure) "Oh,no, not Booker Turner". One of the guys at the table turned around and gave me a quizzical and slightly scornful look. I didn't know why until the second game (Gtown-UMd), when I noticed that guy on the court, blowing the whistle.

Of course it turned out I was right--Turner called a T on JB for yelling at Red Bruin.

The 2 charge calls on Richardson were bs. Any contact outside the circle the refs call charge 90% of the time. Defenders move under the offensive player all the time. In the NBA same contact... 50% of the time is a play on and 40% it's a block.

I'd like to eliminate the charge completely but not sure if that's the right way to go

I think it should go like this: if the ref is absolutely sure the defender had position BEFORE the offensive player leaves the floor, call it a charge. If there is any doubt at all, and I mean ANY...call a block. It'll cut down on the flops and bogus charges for sure.

I think it should go like this: if the ref is absolutely sure the defender had position BEFORE the offensive player leaves the floor, call it a charge. If there is any doubt at all, and I mean ANY...call a block. It'll cut down on the flops and bogus charges for sure.

see my thread on decreasing congestion. With a wider lane and deeper three point arc, as well as extended restricted area, the players will be further apart so that it will be much harder to slide over and draw a charge. If you leave it up to the refs to figure out block / charge, you are going to be waiting forever. Simply eliminate the opportunities.

2. gbinije got hit on the elbow right under the bucket on a underhand layup
3. illegal screen three steps uptop on gtown

Sorry but your last two paragraphs disproved your first supposition that they are all great referees. As for keeping it classy no one is advocating violence against the refs or using slurs about their ethnicity. We're venting on a message board. I don't think saying the refs blow calls and that p isses us off is inappropriate, or that some are worse than others.

Let me give you my Booker Turner story, and it also concerns Louie/Bouie's last game vs. Iowa:

A good friend of mine had connections, and he got a group of us excellent seats (the best I've ever had) right behind the scorer's table, 10 feet from the court. Warm-ups begin, and out come the officials, led by Mr Turner. I stated (in a too-loud voice, I'm sure) "Oh,no, not Booker Turner". One of the guys at the table turned around and gave me a quizzical and slightly scornful look. I didn't know why until the second game (Gtown-UMd), when I noticed that guy on the court, blowing the whistle.

Of course it turned out I was right--Turner called a T on JB for yelling at Red Bruin.
WHAT??? Wasn't Red Bruin on our team? JB was yelling at his own player and got a T???!!! That is truly nuts.

see my thread on decreasing congestion. With a wider lane and deeper three point arc, as well as extended restricted area, the players will be further apart so that it will be much harder to slide over and draw a charge. If you leave it up to the refs to figure out block / charge, you are going to be waiting forever. Simply eliminate the opportunities.
I'm in favor of a radical change that was endorsed by a retired officiating pooh-bah in SI a couple of years ago--a secondary defender cannot take a charge. He can only play the ball--either strip it down low or block the shot attempt. An on-ball defender can play defense the way he always has by beating his man to the spot and cutting off the driving lane.

WHAT??? Wasn't Red Bruin on our team? JB was yelling at his own player and got a T???!!! That is truly nuts.
Yes. Red made a bad play, and JB was yelling at him. Turner apparently thought the anger was directed at him.

Yes. Red made a bad play, and JB was yelling at him. Turner apparently thought the anger was directed at him.
Yeesh. Talk about being thin skinned and self absorbed. Thanks for the info, that was a little before my time as a fan.

I'm in favor of a radical change that was endorsed by a retired officiating pooh-bah in SI a couple of years ago--a secondary defender cannot take a charge. He can only play the ball--either strip it down low or block the shot attempt. An on-ball defender can play defense the way he always has by beating his man to the spot and cutting off the driving lane.

imo, That would be worse the charge I hate the most is the one on one charge where the defender is sliding away from the driver but takes a slight bump and falls over.
9 out of 10 of those could go either way, thats how bad they are.

If we had a mcw running the point and cj fair you wouldn't see to many charges this year.
But gbinije cooney and malachi were all sg's not point guards and combo forwards who slow things down in the lane. we try to eurostep and eurojump around them but we are going to draw some charges.

Obviously this was in the day before instant replay! JB should have thrown a flag.-VBOF

Every single basketball game I've ever been apart of the losing teams says the refs stunk. It's a universal phenomena that happens at every basketball game at every level.

Every single basketball game I've ever been apart of the losing teams says the refs stunk. It's a universal phenomena that happens at every basketball game at every level.
Yeah but we often complain even after a win. Or when watching a game between teams we have no real investment in. They just seem to make more bad, inconsistent and even egregious calls than in the past. I don't watch enough NBA to judge, but posters who do say their refs are utterly more balanced and professional. Possibly one reason being I've read they are paid better and don't travel as much as college levels refs, so fatigue is not an issue. Some of these refs are in their 50s and they are on their feet moving up and down the court all game. Not running but in motion. It's got to be tiring which can affect your judgment

Yeah but we often complain even after a win. Or when watching a game between teams we have no real investment in. They just seem to make more bad, inconsistent and even egregious calls than in the past. I don't watch enough NBA to judge, but posters who do say their refs are utterly more balanced and professional. Possibly one reason being I've read they are paid better and don't travel as much as college levels refs, so fatigue is not an issue. Some of these refs are in their 50s and they are on their feet moving up and down the court all game. Not running but in motion. It's got to be tiring which can affect your judgment

I was working the table doing the scoreboard at a basketball game. And the referee comes over to the table and says, "Oh, I forgot my glasses." My brain just exploded!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom