Two Things Missing... | Syracusefan.com

Two Things Missing...

Hoov50

Starter
When you compare our team this year's team to our best teams of the past or most (if not all) legitimate top 5-10 teams we are missing two things.

First as most have realized and many have pointed out we have no presence inside on offense at all. In fact many times we have no presence inside on defense either. At least 5-6 times yesterday Georgetown had one player inside the three point arc and still managed to get the offensive rebound.

We need to get guys the ball inside the paint or at very least inside the three point arc. Fair can be a force midrange if we would consistently get him the ball in that position. I still think we need to try to get Christmas the ball inside also. I am not claiming he is going to score 10+ points very often, but other teams have to at least know he may touch the ball. As of now teams can and should cover him with 1/2 a man so he isn't wide open, because unless he is literally wide open we aren't going to get him the ball.

The other problem I see with our team is the lack of legitimate ball handlers. We have four guys who could (not that they choose to very often) drive into the lane consistently: Triche, MCW, Fair and Southerland/Grant each as the half making number four. In most games we drive to the hoop a minimal amount of times. Think of the problems guys like Devendorf, Waiters and even Griffin have caused opposing teams in the past with their driving and scoring or driving and kicking it out. We don't have consistent and good enough shooters to simply pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot threes.

Back to my main point of lack of ball handlers. Right now the only two guys who I have any confidence in when it comes to handling the ball are Triche and MCW and unfortunately both o them are either really good or really bad. In other words they are inconsistent. In the past we have always had at least a third guy who could handle the ball well enough to step in when the others were having off games. If both Triche and MCW had to be out of the game at the same time and the opposition pressed we may not be able to get it past half court.

Given the right draw and at least some effort to get our post players involved we can make some noise in the NCAA Tournament. If we get an unlucky draw and have another game like we had against UConn and GTown we could have an early exit.

Despite these shortcomings if we make some improvements and get the right draw of all years this is the year that anyone who gets hot at the right can win it all.

Note: Please excuse and major misspellings or grammar issues. This was done on my iPhone and autocorrect is a bitch!